LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-20-2012, 03:21 AM   #1
pprropeciaaa

Default What do you use in the car?
How do you guys travel (and by travel I mean daily runs and actual trips) with your dogs? Do you have seat belts you use? Do you keep a kennel in the back (for SUV/van drivers) ?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Old 02-20-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
welihiedginly

I have a seat belt...can;t say we've used it lol
We used to have a barrier...that didn't last long.
Now we just tie the dogs in the back seat ha ha

Old 02-20-2012, 03:24 AM   #3
Rupeviv

Crates. The gf's XTerra can fit all 3 crates, my car can fit Lily and Kodi's crate, and Mia fits in the space that's left, separated from the front by Lily's crate. Mia's soft crate can sit on top of Lily's crate in my car, so if we need to place the dogs somewhere, they all have a crate.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:24 AM   #4
Poowssnople

When we would go to SAR we used our crate. It's massive though, so not very convenient for everyday trips. I'd like to build a small dog box ("stand up and turn around" size) sometime soon because I hate.driving with Bonnie loose, but crates are damn expensive.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:27 AM   #5
welihiedginly

When we would go to SAR we used our crate. It's massive though, so not very convenient for everyday trips. I'd like to build a small dog box ("stand up and turn around" size) sometime soon because I hate.driving with Bonnie loose, but crates are damn expensive.
Craigslist my friend...Craigslist.
I actually just saw one for free by me.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:29 AM   #6
Poowssnople

Never had much luck on craigslist, for anything. trust me, I've looked! My sister seems to find good deals on there but not me.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:31 AM   #7
BgpOoGI2

The dogs just ride in the back seat of our cars. We have car seat covers. When I get my CRV I would like to get a barrier.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:31 AM   #8
6M8PJigS

We use a hammock thing. But Baloo is really good about just looking out the window or sleeping on road trips. But max time has been about 4 hours. But he knows he's only allowed to ride shotgun if I say so. So he happily stays in the back seat and my leather seats stay protected.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:45 AM   #9
welihiedginly

We use a hammock thing. But Baloo is really good about just looking out the window or sleeping on road trips. But max time has been about 4 hours. But he knows he's only allowed to ride shotgun if I say so. So he happily stays in the back seat and my leather seats stay protected.
That is an interesting set up!

Old 02-20-2012, 03:53 AM   #10
sciectotacype17

Maci goes in her crate in the back seat if I don't feel like having her on my lap. Leon sits in the back seat. He is REALLY good in the car, either sleeps or watches out the front window. I think doggie seats and doggie seat belts are redic lol.

I plan on getting something with a "hatch" back or whatever it's called when you can life the back up. So then the dogs can go back there. Maci in a crate and Leon tethered down. Like a Sante Fe or Edge or w/e

Old 02-20-2012, 03:54 AM   #11
nursopoutaras

I just toss Bear in the back of my truck (NOT the bed lol) and let him roll around, he usually sits down and looks at people out the windows, or lays down and sleeps

Old 02-20-2012, 04:07 AM   #12
pprropeciaaa

Do you guys worry about wrecks? I have a CRV so my dogs will go in the all the way back when they are bigger. I've never used belts for previous dogs. But I was reading a few years back somewhere and people got all bent out of shape when people said they didn't restrain their dogs. Saying its unsafe for the dog, if there was to be a wreck. Or they could cause a wreck by climbing in your lap. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Old 02-20-2012, 04:10 AM   #13
welihiedginly

Well...it isn't safe lol, but think of it the same as you without your seat belt on

Old 02-20-2012, 04:18 AM   #14
sciectotacype17

Seat belts for dogs don't work like human ones, from the ones I've seen.

They usually consist of clipping on to a harness or collar. More like just "tethering" them down.
So you roll your car, your dog isn't actually any safer than being loose... if you land upside down well they just "hang" there by the harness or collar. If it's by the collar they'll die anyways if no one is there to unhook them. I can't see it really being much safer for the dog. A thick sturdy crate lined with blanketsimo, would be your best bet if the dogs safety is a concern.

Train a dog NOT to jump seats and don't let them in the front seat. That way there's no need to worry about them jumping in your lap. Leon is NEVER allowed in front, I can open my car door and not even put the seat forward. If I say "get in!" he KNOWS get to the back and stay there.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:18 AM   #15
Poowssnople

I don't like Bonnie being unrestrained because of that reason. She's well behaved but if we got into a wreck and she was hurt from being unrestrained, I would never forgive myself.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:29 AM   #16
isogeople

It's dark out, but I JUST took these. I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty w/pet partition and it works out perfect for me and my two.

This is the "way back". Sugar owns it. Always has and always will LOL

Rowdy (R.I.P.) and now Mason have the rest of the Jeep. Both generally prefer to sleep in the backseat or from the backseat, stand with front paws on the center console and look out the windshield.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:30 AM   #17
flowersnewaho

I also use a hammock like the one bluebaloo uses. Bentley just lays in the back. He doesn't care about looking out the windows and I'd rather him be laying down anyway. If I do have to hit the brakes, he slides into the back of one of the seats but he's always fine and it never traumatizes him. Although, I drive like an old woman when he's in the car. The way I drive without a dog in the car is WAYYY different than when I'm alone. Lol

I've used this method for a long time. My car doesn't have room for a crate. I've driven across the country from Chicago to SoCal and back like this, it works for us.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:32 AM   #18
Misiotoagodia

Nothing, just toss 'em in the back of my 4Runner.. like so,

(EEE baby Sako!)

None of mine have ever jumped over the back seats.. people sometimes find that amazing LOL.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:34 AM   #19
isogeople

Sugar is aloof and doesn't need to be next to me at all times like the bulldog boys seem to prefer. So the "way back" works great for Sugar, the boys have been happy and I haven't worried about the dogs getting into each other

Old 02-20-2012, 04:36 AM   #20
flowersnewaho

Kady- I used to keep Bentley in the back of my truck too without a crate. He'd just lay down and enjoy the ride.

Reply to Thread New Thread