LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
Rwujnezq

Maybe it has something to do with some of the grotesque, uber narrow heads I've seen on those dogs.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Mymnnarry

I'd give'em the I am constantly amazed at how people seem to think they have the right to tell us where and what kind of animals we should get.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
viawbambutt

My family has multiple (from the same family/litter) 50% Chihuahua and 50% Dachshund dogs, they are all like 12-14 years old or something crazy, none have that issue with separation anxiety the Dachshund who was the Dam of these dogs had none of the issues and died at like 12 from kidney issues, the one female has mammary tumors or something, they both are blind, both have diabetes and both are some of the most outgoing happy dogs out there lol

Maggie, the one my Great Aunt has is a mean bitch dog, she is the only dog that Bear WILL NOT go near, he is so afraid of her he wont even walk past her and I have to drag him on his leash! Lol and she is blind!! Lol

I like them, they are and were all great dogs and if I didnt have a dog that was so prey driven and DA they arent to bad as pets, dont like all the back problems from the pure bred ones, but they dont seem to bad as small dogs.

I think if you get a dog from a breeder that produces sound, confident dogs and culls the OCD or mental issue ones that you stand a better chance of getting a sound healthy dog. As with anything though, there are flukes and chances you might still get a spastic freaked out dog lol

Old 09-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
SeftyJokipl

What I'm going to be looking for is a working, long haired cream female who is also a possible show prospect. Might get one before Christmas but I have to look for a breeder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 09-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
SeftyJokipl

I think so, but I'm still not so sure myself and I couldn't tell by a picture. Apparently there's a big thing going on now where people are passing off diluted reds as creams to make more money, so idk. but yes, that color. Either that or a long haired chocolate dapple or an isabella and tan or the ones with the white feet and eyebrows...so many options, haha

Old 09-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
SeftyJokipl

Would you still be getting the great dane in a few years?. Good luck with your search!. What makes you interested in showing?.
Sorry Tahlz. Didn't see this. And yes, we would still get the Dane. . Showing would be a possibility, but I think I would be more interested in agility. Those little shits on TV look like they are having so much fun!

Old 09-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
Poowssnople

Many dachshunds are stubborn, making them a challenge to train. They are statistically more aggressive to both strangers and other dogs than the rottweiler. They are also markedly aggressive towards their owners. Several quotes have been recorded regarding the training of dachshunds; one is from E. B. White:"Being the owner of dachshunds, to me a book on dog discipline becomes a volume of inspired humor. Every sentence is a riot. Some day, if I ever get a chance, I shall write a book, or warning, on the character and temperament of the dachshund and why he can't be trained and shouldn't be. I would rather train a striped zebra to balance an Indian club than induce a dachshund to heed my slightest command. When I address Fred I never have to raise either my voice or my hopes. He even disobeys me when I instruct him in something he wants to do."
Sounds like a load of crap from a ****ty owner. I know several well-trained Dachshunds. They simply need to be trained in a positive way and do not respond to corrections, rather like a cat.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
ovH9wfSJ

We've had a couple in the family. Charlie is a great dog who is now almost 15. never had any health problems from him. He's on his last legs and will probly pass this year. He was a good dog, easily trained loved ppl but had a great deal of prey drive. He took out several small pets in my grandmothers household. From birds to lizards. Never had any DA either. Then there was Tuffy who had DA and also more prey drive then what my family could handle. he bolted for a cat and got ran over. My aunt now has one and at 4 yrs no health problems yet. he's a very chilled dog but is slightly HA and can turn cujo on dogs. Pretty low prey drive so far and the whole F&*K you attitude he has pisses me off!! Lol

Old 09-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
viawbambutt

Lol dont feel bad, my Gecko forum is nothing but Lizard Mommies?? Lol or whatever they are called, they hated me and still do, but they get past the fact that we dont agree and help me on my questions at least!

Man they got PISSED when I refused to take my gecko to the vet, sorry but if it was my dog he would be at the vet, maybe if it was my cat, but my lizard? No, sorry not paying 300+$ for a stupid lizard doctor when the situation isnt even serious. Hell they would have shit bricks if they saw my lack of vet care with my racing and rolling birds LOL only bird I ever took to the vet was one who had its crop ripped out by a hawk to be put down, went through many diseases and virus' and broken body parts without ever dealing with a vet.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
rockboyzaza

My first dog was a Dachshund. My family used to breed them. I have a love/hate relationship with them partially due to the scar on my face from one !

Like K9 Love said, working Dachshund are great. I find standard ones vs. Mini are a lot better since they aren't as popular for the pet trade and tend to be better bred. A well bred Doxie with a correct temperament is an awesome dog. I wouldn't mind having one again, but finding one with the correct temperament is of the utmost importance. My neighbors two little ankle biters wouldn't last 2 seconds with me!

They are hunting dogs and do have high preydrives. Can be dominant with other dogs. Love to dig and than includes your carpet. I had a neighbor get new wall to wall carpet and come home to find a lump under the carpet! The Doxie had dug under and had ripped all the padding to shreds! Back problems and knee problems are very common. My neighbor has already had 3 knee surgeries and 2 back surgeries on one of her hers. The new colors that they are coming in also I believe affects there health. Me personally would stick with the traditional black/tan, red or grizzle if going with a wiredhaired. I prefer the black/tan smooth coats myself.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
benderkoz

Did you see the question I asked?

Old 09-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
SeftyJokipl

I like these dogs, but I'm not 100% sure of color and the people on this forum are NOT helping.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #13
ViktorialHDY

That's what's important to me. Everyone knows how I don't get along with people on another forum but if I ask questions there they answer, and I answer theirs, and we more or less remain civil. I consider it a good forum, because even though we don't get along and I don't agree with a lot of how they do things, they are very informative and except for on CERTAIN topics , they're polite and helpful.

I wouldn't stay on a forum where people were a-holes to someone just for wanting a dog from a breeder, that's crazy.
I know what you mean lol Sometimes you just have to play nice

Old 09-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #14
emorbimefed

The only personal experience I have had with Doxies is my parents friend's dogs. They were basically BYB's although no one had ever heard that term back then. They owned 3 or 4...a male and female breeding pair and a couple of their pups that the grown kids of the family kept. I think they had a litter every few years or so and every time I went over to their house those lil buggers would do their best to eat me. They seemed affectionate enough to the family, but they hated everyone else and would endlessly bark, growl and try to bite. If memory serves, one of the pups was carted around everywhere by the eldest adult daughter as her "baby" and I believe the monster actually bit her face at one point, but its been many years.

I can't say I much like the breed, but I do respect what a good working Doxie is capable of. I mean, these were small dogs meant to go in after badgers. Ya gotta have balls or ovaries of steel to do that. I think a mentally sound Doxie would be pretty cool if it came from working lines. I've just never had the fortune to come across a decently behaved one in my life so far.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #15
SeftyJokipl

Oh god, I know what you mean. I volunteered at a vet once and a guy brought a chameleon in...nothing wrong with that but I was just like "Really...REALLY? You brought your LIZARD to the vet? C'mon man.."

Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #16
Babposa

Maybe post a thread topic with dachshunds in the title to get the attention of those in the know.

(wikipedia)
Many dachshunds are stubborn, making them a challenge to train. They are statistically more aggressive to both strangers and other dogs than the rottweiler. They are also markedly aggressive towards their owners. Several quotes have been recorded regarding the training of dachshunds; one is from E. B. White:"Being the owner of dachshunds, to me a book on dog discipline becomes a volume of inspired humor. Every sentence is a riot. Some day, if I ever get a chance, I shall write a book, or warning, on the character and temperament of the dachshund and why he can't be trained and shouldn't be. I would rather train a striped zebra to balance an Indian club than induce a dachshund to heed my slightest command. When I address Fred I never have to raise either my voice or my hopes. He even disobeys me when I instruct him in something he wants to do."

I don't think I would be up to the task of owning one of these guys.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #17
SeftyJokipl

That Wiki article is crap. They can be like that, but once trained, theyre pretty wonderful little guys. Penny is stubborn, but she's not as bad as those articles make them sounds..

Old 09-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #18
SeftyJokipl

Default Heaven forbid if I...(NPBR)
Join a breed specific forum to ask about common breed genetics.

To explain, I just joined a forum for dachshunds. Won't say which one, but I joined to ask about genetic disorders.

A lot of dachshunds have problems with separation anxiety, OCD, general anxiety, and a myriad of other emotional disorders. Now, I'm not totally sure or not, but I think these disorders might be genetic since most of the problems come from badly bred dogs. I haven't looked it up. Either way, on this forum, I posted a thread wondering whether or not buying from a reputable breeder that removes these dogs from breeding stock would lessen your chances of having a dog with one of these problems. Well, I got flamed for "not adopting" or "treating animals like objects" among other fur mommy bleeding heart bullcrap. So, I ask my question on here for anybody that might know.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #19
SeftyJokipl

Lol yep, I agree

Old 09-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #20
SeftyJokipl

Yep.

Ugh. I don't wanna live on this planet anymore.

In my search for breeders, I'm literally sick to my stomach with the shit I am coming across. Self proclaimed "reputable breeders" that have 40 sires and 40 dams that are pet quality that they are breeding the FUCK out of and producing hundreds of dogs a year at 600+ a piece because they are from "champion bloodlines". Oh God, fuck people man. I just want to set their houses on fire.

Reply to Thread New Thread