LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 01-03-2012, 04:48 AM   #1
GlarlraTpople

I'm thinking.... don't keep the dog...
Sorry, but I think your big heart that took her in didn't help when it comes to giving the dog what it needs. And second the thought that what if she turned DOG AGGRESSIVE, and killed or hurt the Cocker because you thought she wasn't DA? These dogs can go from play to kill in a second, and require supervision(even if it NEVER happened, responsible bully owners are always prepared) Then everything is bad, not only will the dog be blamed for it instead of the owner, and contribute to BSL, but also your mother will difinately not allow the dog in your home and you would find yourself forced to take the dog to rescue.. This is why it is so important to do all the research you can before bring a dog home. This breed needs constant attention and training. And they already have a bad rap.. I'm glad you are getting her spayed, whether she stays with you or not, there is NO reason to breed her, whatsoever, and yes the man wanting the puppies would of sold them to pieces of crap who would in turn use those puppies for breeding machines(this is what back yard breeders do).

I think your home is very stressful and I'm sorry for that, I think you are a good person just trying to help this good dog. But, my honest opinion would be to find her a breed specific rescue who can find the proper bully home for her. Stress in the home can effect the dog..

Old 01-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
WhonyGataxott

Default Need help. Looking for a home or a place for my PB.
Hello, To start off. This is going to be sad & hard to post for me. MY name is Jeremy , I got a beautiful PB on Dec 28th from a cousin. The she got the dog for her mothers day gift. The PBs name is Keeta. Now at 10mnths old. My cousin separated from her man. The place she moved to would not let her keep the dog. So I being a animal lover took her. The only problem now( the sad part is here)is I must let her go. See I have my mother living with me. She had a very bad stroke 8-16. She has brain & speech damage. WELL, even though she has a Cocker Spaniel. It seems Keeta stresses her with all the puppy playing hair shed. My mother is having sleeping problem. speech is getting worse . She has Aphasia. We do therapy every day for 2 hrs. But now she is so worked up over the dog & stressed it is blocking her. So my mothers health means a lot. She asked me today to build a dog house for her. NO WAY will I put her outside. She is so loving. Also I do not like to put them out 24/7. Maybe 6/8 most to play. So I got on line today to look for kennels to have her live at for a short time till I found her a great home . They want 20.oo a day. Limited hrs to see her also. @hrs in morn, 2 hrs in the evening, schedules times on the weekends. NOT WORK FOR ME. I would like to find a place that has a large fenced yard as we have. other animals if possible. But most of all a person to love her, not put her out back & leave her or worse. Any info help offers or ideals would be nice

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

Old 01-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
Nundduedola

You could maybe see if a local shelter would put up a courtesy posting on petfinder for you. You could also start talking to some breed specific rescues with a foster program to take the dog.

Realize it could take a long time for this dog to find a home. Pit Bulls are the hardest dogs to find homes for. It could take months or even years to find this dog home. So if this dog needs out soon, your best bet is to find a no kill breed specific rescue to take her

Old 01-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
WhonyGataxott

I am planning to . This hit me about 3hrs ago. So looking at all I can Then decided to post to ask. More info & ideals is so helpful. Plus may get a person ask for her so not need to send her to a breed or rescues. I can keep her a week or so till I find something.

As I said, She is right at 10mnths. Also she has not been cut. I was thinking of letting her have one litter & then spay her, but that plan was when I was keeping her. Now she must go. So want people to know she has not been spayed , has not had a litter. She was weighted at 50.6 on Wednesday last week. So playful, Loving. Has learned to sit & lay for BACON treats..lol. Loves fetch & tugwar. Great with all people & animals.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
Nundduedola

I am planning to . This hit me about 3hrs ago. So looking at all I can Then decided to post to ask. More info & ideals is so helpful. Plus may get a person ask for her so not need to send her to a breed or rescues. I can keep her a week or so till I find something.

As I said, She is right at 10mnths. Also she has not been cut. I was thinking of letting her have one litter & then spay her, but that plan was when I was keeping her. Now she must go. So want people to know she has not been spayed , has not had a litter. She was weighted at 50.6 on Wednesday last week. So playful, Loving. Has learned to sit & lay for BACON treats..lol. Loves fetch & tugwar. Great with all people & animals.
If you adopt her out yourself you are going to want to make sure there is a spay agreement. In fact I would make the cost of the spay her rehoming fee and go ahead and get her spayed. Trust me you want her spayed before she leaves you.
An unaltered bitch could end up in the wrong hands faster than you can blink.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
MeatteCen

Personally, if it were me, I would keep her. Build a pen or fix her a tie out and put her a nice dog house out that has plenty of hay or cedar shavings in it. Put her out for a few hours a day and when she is inside, keep her crated or put her in your room with the door shut. Give her lots of exercise to wear her out so she isn't so hyper inside, and vacuum LOTS to get all the dog hair up. Your mom might do better if she is calm when she is around her, and the only way that will happen is if you wear her out, then let her "free" time be right after her exercise. Then crate her or put her in your bedroom with the door closed or put her on a tie out for a few days. Seems to me that would be your best solution, and you would get to keep her. If you can't do this, then as SBTlove suggested, find a good rescue that can take her. Do NOT give her to the first John Doe that walks up and offers to take her, and whatever you do, DO NOT put her on Craigslist!!

Oh, and get her spayed ASAP!!! Nothing is worse than a dog in heat inside, or worse, a pregnant dog and a litter of pups when you are having trouble keeping her as it is.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
WhonyGataxott

NO WAY ON CRAIGLIST. This is why a PB site. Also I am so picky. I would have to have a history on the person & animals. I have only had to let go of two other animals in my 40yrs. A SugarGlider & Sheepdog. It was hard. but I was very pick. I would not let go to homes with smokers in them. THe dog need large yard & ect. YES I thought of keeping but hate out side idea. I already came up with a 10x12 shelter ideal, heats for winter & cooled for summer. But mom freaks over all the poop this puppy can drop..lol.

I believe I will check on the spay. Only reason I was going to breed was to help calm her more & then spay. but if it comes to it I will pass on that & jst get it done.

Thank you for some good ideals & reply's.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
cxddfrxc

NO WAY ON CRAIGLIST. This is why a PB site. Also I am so picky. I would have to have a history on the person & animals. I have only had to let go of two other animals in my 40yrs. A SugarGlider & Sheepdog. It was hard. but I was very pick. I would not let go to homes with smokers in them. THe dog need large yard & ect. YES I thought of keeping but hate out side idea. I already came up with a 10x12 shelter ideal, heats for winter & cooled for summer. But mom freaks over all the poop this puppy can drop..lol.

I believe I will check on the spay. Only reason I was going to breed was to help calm her more & then spay. but if it comes to it I will pass on that & jst get it done.

Thank you for some good ideals & reply's.
You still aren't planning on breeding her, are you? If you're having this much trouble finding a home for one dog, imagine 8-10 puppies plus momma. Breeding her will not calm her down. If you think breeding her will be an easy cash flow, think again. There are several breeding links on here that you'll want to take a look at. Try looking into some low cost clinics for an affordable spay. The last thing you want is to give her to a "good home" just to find out she's turned into a puppy machine. Spaying her is a smart move.

Also...what's wrong with letting animals go to homes with smokers in them? What does someone who smokes cigarettes have to do with the welfare of an animal? Just curious.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #9
realnilkless

Personally, if it were me, I would keep her. Build a pen or fix her a tie out and put her a nice dog house out that has plenty of hay or cedar shavings in it. Put her out for a few hours a day and when she is inside, keep her crated or put her in your room with the door shut. Give her lots of exercise to wear her out so she isn't so hyper inside, and vacuum LOTS to get all the dog hair up. Your mom might do better if she is calm when she is around her, and the only way that will happen is if you wear her out, then let her "free" time be right after her exercise. Then crate her or put her in your bedroom with the door closed or put her on a tie out for a few days. Seems to me that would be your best solution, and you would get to keep her. If you can't do this, then as SBTlove suggested, find a good rescue that can take her. Do NOT give her to the first John Doe that walks up and offers to take her, and whatever you do, DO NOT put her on Craigslist!!

Oh, and get her spayed ASAP!!! Nothing is worse than a dog in heat inside, or worse, a pregnant dog and a litter of pups when you are having trouble keeping her as it is.
THIS ^^ THIS ^^ THIS especially^^
It will not hurt her to live outside if she has proper shelter.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
MeatteCen

YES I thought of keeping but hate out side idea.

I would chose keeping her outside over rehoming her and taking the chance someone would mistreat her or let her roam loose. There is no guarantee that whoever you give her to won't keep her outside, or smoke... that's just something you can't control. Once she is out of your care, you have no say over what someone does with her. If they want to let her run loose and risk getting hit, or smoke around her, you can't prevent them from doing that.

I already came up with a 10x12 shelter ideal, heats for winter & cooled for summer. But mom freaks over all the poop this puppy can drop..lol.

The kennel run sounds like a good idea, and there is a VERY easy solution to the poop... go out with her, and clean up her poop. It only takes a few seconds to scoop up poop with a shovel and put it in a trash bag. If you keep the yard clean of poop , mom won't win that arguement.

Spaying a dog does not calm them down, trust me. I have a 3 year old "pit bull" mix and a 4 year old Lab mix... both still act like they are 6 month old pups! The only thing that calms dogs down is age. People think spaying will calm them, but really, it's just the dog is maturing. And letting a dog have puppies in no way calms it down... plus, if she has pups, then you are faced with having to get rid of anywhere from 8-12 puppies, and you are already having troubles with rehoming just the one dog. Just keep in mind that if you let your dog get pregnant, you very well could be responsible for sending 8-12 little puppies to the rescues or shelter, or face a death sentence at the pound. Please contact Pit Bull Rescue Central for spay assistance :

http://www.pbrc.net/fund/ap_neuter.html

(oh, my replies in red)

Old 01-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #11
WhonyGataxott

You still aren't planning on breeding her, are you? If you're having this much trouble finding a home for one dog, imagine 8-10 puppies plus momma. Breeding her will not calm her down. If you think breeding her will be an easy cash flow, think again. There are several breeding links on here that you'll want to take a look at. Try looking into some low cost clinics for an affordable spay. The last thing you want is to give her to a "good home" just to find out she's turned into a puppy machine. Spaying her is a smart move.

Also...what's wrong with letting animals go to homes with smokers in them? What does someone who smokes cigarettes have to do with the welfare of an animal? Just curious.
no i will not breed if she must go. also I am jst learning pits. as my frst post on into says a few weeks ago. also i was told to bred to calm her.then spay her once she had a litter. before she goes she will get spay. i do not want to chance others over breeding her. but not plan to breed to make money. the guy that told me to breed said he would take me to a breeder. i can keep one pup & my dog. he would take rest for his time & expenses. it is a breeder in Tennessee is all i was told. as got the smoking. a second hand smoke on a animal is same as a person. a dog can not speak up like a child can not. Jst how I feel about it.

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

well now i understanding the spay deal. now i feel the guy that told me it helps calm her. had other reasons to help. so glad to see this info. she will get it asap.

as for outside. she was inside at my cousins for 9 mnths. now in with me, i also have crazy weather here. she always wants to lay on me & be loved. i got her to stop getn on bed, but stays next to it to be close. i would think it confuse her now to put her out. i dont know. maybe its jst me being picky.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #12
Nundduedola

Where are you located? If you absolutely can't keep her I know of some good organizations that could take her and get her into a good home, or at the very least a good foster home. And she would be spayed.

Personally if she were my dog I would find a way to keep her, even if it meant a kennel run in the back yard. She is a beautiful animal. I understand the crazy weather thing. I'm in TN, we have nothing but crazy weather here. I really think you could make it work with all the suggestions given. As long as she has a good dog house, with protection from the elements, and love and care. As long as you took time with her she would be fine. But if you can't keep her, you can't keep her

Old 01-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #13
WhonyGataxott

Where are you located? If you absolutely can't keep her I know of some good organizations that could take her and get her into a good home, or at the very least a good foster home. And she would be spayed.

Personally if she were my dog I would find a way to keep her, even if it meant a kennel run in the back yard. She is a beautiful animal. I understand the crazy weather thing. I'm in TN, we have nothing but crazy weather here. I really think you could make it work with all the suggestions given. As long as she has a good dog house, with protection from the elements, and love and care. As long as you took time with her she would be fine. But if you can't keep her, you can't keep her
Thank you for the post. I am for sure planning a spay ASAP. Now I have learned it not going to calm her. Also I feel that the person that offered had other reasons to breed her.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #14
Nundduedola

Thank you for the post. I am for sure planning a spay ASAP. Now I have learned it not going to calm her. Also I feel that the person that offered had other reasons to breed her.
Keep in mind about the set up I messaged you about. About what my uncle did with his garage. Its definitely something to consider trying if you have a shed or garage. It might cost a little up front but totally worth it.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:00 PM   #15
aideriimibion

First of all do not allow that dog to have a litter for any reason whether or not you keep her. It is foolish and especially with your situation, you should realize no back yard breeding is ever justified with so many dogs in need of a home. Not to mention the fact that there is nothing about this dog that makes it worthy of breeding.

Second, saying a 10 month old pit bull mix is great with all people and animals is misleading as the dog is just a puppy and almost all puppies are good with people and animals. Unfortunately pit bull type dogs change a lot, and will in a lot of cases develop some dog aggressive tendencies. You are risking your mother's Cocker Spaniel if you are not aware of the possibility that the puppy may not always be so dog friendly and begin to supervise them very closely.

All that said, maybe you need to have a talk with mom. It sounds as if mom who has a dog is just making excuses for reasons why her dog is OK but your dog needs to go. Is the puppy actually doing anything that legitimately stresses out mom, or is mom just prejudiced toward the breed? Dog hair is very easy to control with a pit bull. Just brush frequently. If the dog is hyper active just exercise the crap out of it and it will help.

If mom insists the dog go well you gotta do what you gotta do, but to me her reasons don't make sense. Of course a stroke victim may not make much sense at that is a tough call. If keeping the dog outside when you are not home is the answer then a dog can be perfectly happy outside for a good part of the day without problem. Your bigger problem will be if the PB and Cocker Spaniel cease to coexist amicably. Tough spot to be in but I hate to see a dog victimized by moms, irrational stress. She should be more stressed about having another stroke that a puppy's play or dog hair. Sometimes people make an issue out of something, that is really not the issue but more a convenient vent for what really is the issue?

Old 02-01-2012, 12:59 AM   #16
Lapsiks

LOL, right, I smoke, and my animals still seem to be alive.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:07 AM   #17
rootoronpunty

and pretty dam healthy too

Reply to Thread New Thread