LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 01-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Seeseeskeva

Default So how can you help an animal, when no one is available to help?
I feel like such a jerk because I had to just walk away from the situation. I was on my way into work and had just parked and pulled into the parking lot when I witnessed a dog get tossed out of a van in our parking lot. The van then sped away. This dog looked to have very recently had puppies, she obviously had mange, she was underweight. And unfortunately she was too fearful when I tried to approach. Now I don't work in the best part of town as it is, so on top of that I was weary of approaching this strange dog. Well she took off. But after I started my shift she came back. She was hanging out between where I work and the resturant next door. Now I saw that van come back and circle a few times. I guess they were hoping someone would pick her up. I don't know. Well the dog came back and someone complained about her. So I made a few phone calls to a few contacts I had at a few shelters but no one was in a position to come out and get her (It's a Holiday) and honestly with her being fearful I was unable to get close to her myself. So I ended up calling Animal Services because she was in really bad shape. I figure they could atleast get her off the street and evaluated (she looked really sick) and a. give her a chance or adoption or for a shelter to pull her or B. If she was too bad off she would be humanely euthanized rather than getting hit by a car and suffering a potentially painful death in a very busy part of town.

Well because its a "Holiday" they couldn't send anyone out. But they could send someone out on Monday to check on her. By Monday she will most likely be dead. Well anyway by the time I left last night she was no where to be found, so I can only pray some good samaritan picked her up.

My question is: What is the point of trying to help, when there is no one willing to do anything. I don't care if its a Holiday. Someone could have taken a few minutes out of their holiday to come save this dogs life.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Xiciljed

That's sad Too bad no one got the license plate to the van to at least get justice for the dog suffering and to see where all the potential pups are and what condition they're in

Old 01-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Seeseeskeva

That's sad Too bad no one got the license plate to the van to at least get justice for the dog suffering and to see where all the potential pups are and what condition they're in
I tried but my eye sight is not that great.

My thought is they probably used that dog for breeding and she outlived her usefullness, plus with the mange. They figured it would be easier to just make her someone elses problem. People make me sick.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
Xiciljed

That's so messed up.. I hate when people dump animals but especially near highways, busy roads, or farms..

Old 01-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
Seeseeskeva

Me too. Its bad enough to dump a dog. But to dump the dog in one of the busy intersections on one of the busiest weekends of the year. Just makes my stomach turn.

It wouldn't have been that hard to drop her off at any shelter. If they dropped her off at one of the shelters near me. All they would have had to do was tie her up to the door and leave a note. The dog would have been taken care of. (Not that I condone that, I'd rather then bring her in during adoption center hours)

Old 01-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
dubballey

Geez. That really sux. Knowing me I woulda tried to catch her. lol. Im a nut and be dammed if I would let something happen to her.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
bp9QxekG

People will ALWAYS let you down. Sorry to hear about the dog.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
QiuCIOdO

That is sad, its so frustrating finding a stray and not being able to get close enough to grab them.

Geez. That really sux. Knowing me I woulda tried to catch her. lol. Im a nut and be dammed if I would let something happen to her.
Me too, I run in the road and dodge traffic like a idiot when there are loose dogs.
Knowing me I'd probably sit there for hours with food trying to coax them.

Stupid AC not coming on a holiday they are so worthless I dont know why we even have AC when they are too lazy to ever do anything.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #9
thakitt

At least you tried to help. Maybe she got lucky and some other dog lover managed to lure her into their car and took her home.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:38 AM   #10
Seeseeskeva

At least you tried to help. Maybe she got lucky and some other dog lover managed to lure her into their car and took her home.
That's what I am hoping. I looked around today and she was no where to be found.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
Assungusa

If you see her again, I'd suggest using food to get her to trust you. I know that when I was a kid, my dog, Spirit who was a Spitz, was either dropped off at my house or she found her way to my house, through the woods. She was a stray who had been badly abused, by her previous owners, atleast, I'm guessing from how jumpy she is. It took her a couple of weeks to warm up to me. I would feed her each day, seperating her food from my other dogs. She eventually trusted me, once she realised that I wasn't going to hurt her. And she turned out to be one of the sweetest, most gentle, and loving dogs.

Maybe someone else was able to get to the dog, in question. Atleast, that's what I would guess, since you haven't seen her.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
Seeseeskeva

I have a feeling we won't see her again. She was nowhere to be found. I doubt they even came out to check. Anyways she was nowhere to be found on the last day I worked. I can only hope some kind person was able to get her and get her help. I'd hate to think of what else could have happened to her. But it was near a busy mall so maybe just maybe someone picked her up.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
freevideoandoicsI

Nothing is more frustrating than these people who are supposed to be the ones to call, and then they don't do anything. It's like a vet's office with no one on call after hours! Shows where their true motivation lies - in getting paid, not actually helping any animal

I really hope the outcome is good for this girl, and that she doesn't end up suffering even more

I, too, become a reckless idiot when loose dogs are concerned! I've been known to stop my truck dead in the middle of the lane on a blind corner, or dart into traffic lol
There was one time in Oregon, an entire family was trying to catch a Boxer they said they saw jump from the back of a truck. The dog was running around this touristy little shopping plaza, and they were following it and calling for it. The dog just kept looking back at them, and running away... playfully! So I sat down in the middle of the plaza. When the dog ran by, I made kissy noises at him... and I ended up with a rather large, exuberant, incredibly friendly Boxer in my lap! The people admitted to not being "dog people" but they really didn't want to see him get hit, so they were doing their best to help. When I asked more about the dog jumping out of a truck, did they get the license plate, etc. they said, "Oh, it's parked right over here!" and led me to a truck with a dog bed, bowls of food and water, and a leash tied in the back! The boxer had chewed through the leash. I used one of my chain tie downs for the bed of my truck to secure the dog back in his truck, and left a note on their windshield explaining what happened. Though in retrospect, I kicked myself for not just taking the dog home... he was cute! lol

Old 04-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #14
Smabeabumjess

I have Animal Control, Police non-emergency and a couple of rescue groups in my area programmed into my cell. If I can't do it myself I know one of these #'s will get me in touch with someone who can and will help. Being a lover of all animals I try to be prepared for anything (extra leashes, foldable cardboard transport box, couple old towels, treats and such in my trunk) or maybe it's just the way I am. I like to be prepared for anything. I too have been known to put myself into dangerous situations for the sake of an animal. A couple of years ago I found an owl standing in the middle of our rural highway in the middle of the morning. I whipped around pulled over and used a blanket to cover it and move it to the side of the road. I was 7 months pregnant at the time. Poor thing had been hit by a vehicle and the a$$holes didn't stop. Animal Control came and picked it up but it died on the way to the wildlife vet. I have had to call the police non-emergency line at least 3 times to come put down deer that had been hit and left for dead.

Be prepared and know who can and will help.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #15
QQ9ktYrV

My thought is they probably used that dog for breeding and she outlived her usefulness, plus with the mange. They figured it would be easier to just make her someone elses problem. People make me sick.
This^^^ Especially the outliving her usefullness... people around here are always quick to dump a dog when it can no longer make a profit for them....

That's so messed up.. I hate when people dump animals but especially near highways, busy roads, or farms..
We get a lot of dogs dumped out in the country out where I live... and sadly, a lot of times, they end up the victim of a vehicle.

People will ALWAYS let you down. Sorry to hear about the dog.
And this ^^^^ I hate it for the dog, but I understand your side of it. Once when I was coming to work, I saw a Mastiff or something walking down I-40. I had to get to work, and work all day and I couldn't find anyone that could try to come see about it. I got blasted on FB for not going back and trying to catch the dog... on I-40, in morning rush hour traffic, and the risk of losing my job... plus, what the heck would I have been able to do with a dog I didn't know all day? Let it stay in my car?? I contacted a few rescues, but no one could get out there to try to coax him off of the interstate, and I'm sorry, but I have a really decent job, I couldn't risk getting fired by showing up not only late, but with a 100+ pound dog in tow for the day. I never saw it again, and I'm hoping that it just got away from someone at one of the local motels right off the interstate. But around here, the police will not come out to assist in something like this unless the dog is a risk to humans... the dog being at risk of being hit by a car does not concern them. I know, I checked.

Maybe the owners were overcome with guilt and came back for her... we can hope anyway.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #16
untostaronaf

This breaks my heart. Last winter I chased a stray dog down the road in -38 weather because I knew if it stayed the night outside it would have froze to death. I then drove the streets for two hours looking for it's owner.

I found the little dog's owner, she had slipped out the back door by accident. The lady was so happy she could not stop crying, I had found her 14 year old baby! That was a good night!

Reply to Thread New Thread