LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
pobrierce

Default Wife thinks dog is becoming DA and HA
Alright so the point of this post is so that i can show it to my wife and her understand a little better. She is(because of my mother) starting to think my dog is showing of both DA and HA. the reason is because to me how she plays and how she protects the house.. now for a little background the puppy is a 5 month Ambully and the other two dogs are a old(11-13) chihuahua and a 5 year old doxie both the smaller dogs are real B****s.. all of our dogs are female.. well it started the other day when my mom was over and the bully pup and the doxie were running side by side and like playing where they are mouthing eachother (my wife use to call it play kissing because it looks like there trying to make out) and then they ran outside and when the doxie would try and come in the house the bully pup would step side to side not letting her in until the doxie squeezed by well to me it was another level of playing maybe slightly showing dominance but no big deal. well my mom yells omg there fighting the puppy is going to kill the doxie.. right away i said girl go lay down they both went to there beds. i told m mom they were playing and next time not to be screaming and stuff at the dogs in my house.. later she lets the chihuahua which i normally dont because she isnt big on other dogs cuz she is partially blind and she is laying there and the bully pup walks up and licks her the chihuahua growls and snaps at the pup and the pup just like jumped back kinda like she was scared and started barking then walked away.. to my mom those two incedencts shows that my dog is very DA and needs to be chained or kept in the bed room all day.. i just kind of laughed... well then they got started on HA because if anyone or anything walks by the yard she runs out barking and snarling.. the particular incedent it was my neighbor who im real good friends with but my dog has never seen my mom started on the the dog is HA i was like oo yea really told the neighbor i was letteing her out the second i opened the gate what does she do runs to the neighbor in my driveway and sits and looks at him then walks up and starts licking his hand.. wagging her tail like crazy.. i turned around and said oo yea so HA right .. but after my moms visit it has my wife worried... so I'm going to what you all think and hope she feels better about it in the end.... so my question is.... Do you think my puppy is showing signs of DA or HA

Old 10-29-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
77Dinaartickire

For one, this is a puppy. A five month old puppy.

If she/he was dog aggressive when the chihuahua snapped at it, the pup would have attacked. Hell the pup would have killed the doxie easy when they where playing!

Now the HA. Barking at a passerby from their own yard is so common that my doxie mix does it. Not a sign of HA. IF you know that your dog isn't HA and DA don't listen to your mother. Its your house right? If the doxie and the chi aren't yours tell her to leave them at home. Remind them of their place in your home.

D: I swear sometimes people are worse then dogs.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
Wheldcobchoto

I'm not much help but I don't think think your show is showing signs of DA. I think he's just playing. I also don't think he's showing signs of HA. A lot of dogs will charge at strangers when people walk by (a lot of the dogs around here do and there friendly).

Old 10-29-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
VanDerSmok

it could be an early sign of male dominance ;; could be playing ? just keep an eye on them and be prepared for w/e !

Old 10-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
pobrierce

not male there all female.. but no i know there not HA or DA.. just my wife before this she has only had two dogs and they were really family dogs not hers.. i told her if she was DA she wouldn't sit at the baby gate when we separate them and wine until we let her in there to play she would just go through it.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
77Dinaartickire

Sounds like you need to educate your wife. does she like to read? There are some good books on DA and HA.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
Wheldcobchoto

Point blank; your wife is wrong. I wouldn't worry.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #8
JessicaLin

I think it sounds like she is being a bratty puppy with the other dogs. My pup would bark at us, and still sometimes does when he gets in that 'mood', if he is told not to do something. He's being a brat as I suspect your dog is being a brat with the other dogs. It's not aggression.

If barking at a passerby from the yard is HA, then all of the dogs on my block are HA. Imagine that? Your post is hard to read due to lack of punctuation, but I do not think this is aggression. However, if she is fence running I would stop that behavior now. That could lead to issues.

If your wife is so concerned, I would suggest she enroll in an obedience class with the puppy to get to know it better.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:01 AM   #9
9wQlZkIj

Holy crap Randy, you better put that little Cur down before she kills somebody!!!

In all seriousness, the dog sounds like she's a typical puppy. Curious and on the hunt for mischief.
However, if she is snarling at the fence, that is something I would work on.

Also, your wife(or both of you) going to obedience classes with the pup, as Tiff suggested, would be great!

Old 10-30-2011, 12:20 AM   #10
Enjoymms

I agree with the previous posters who say have your wife attend OB classes. When Raj was a puppy he would go nuts on his chain setup when people walked by. After some work, he now just gives a warning bark and we tell him to shut it lol.
It could also be frustration...sort of like "Hey guys why are you over there and I'm over here?!?!? Not fair!"

Old 10-30-2011, 03:55 AM   #11
pobrierce

sorry about the punctuation, i was in a hurry. My wife said she understand now i guess what my mom was telling her got to her and she is one of those people that think since she is my mother she will know more than me. Also we plan to do obedience classes i just want to wait until both me and my wife will be free of class and work to do so. thank you everyone for your replies

Old 10-30-2011, 04:18 AM   #12
Krruqgwt

I would still keep the small dogs apart from her. A med-large breed pup could accidently kill a small, older toy breed. I Never let any pup bother a older senior dog who doesn't want to deal with pup crap, that's just rude. Also just playing could hurt your Doxies back, be careful!

Old 10-30-2011, 05:40 AM   #13
hs6KnlcW

I agree about not letting the pup play with the smaller dogs - as a rambunctious bull breed, she's going to get out of hand one of these days, playfully, and one of the smaller dogs could get hurt. Also, as she matures, she might not take corrections from the Chi so nicely. So, I'd be careful there. Is your pup showing signs of DA? No. But I think you need to step in a little more, before things get a chance to escalate.

I'm curious to know exactly what you mean by "snarling" when she runs to the fence barking. Are her hackles up? Tail up in a dominant posture? If so, I would work on that. She's a young pup, and needs to learn boundaries. I don't know about you, but I personally don't like the image it gives off of having a pit bull at a fence barking at people walking by!

Old 10-31-2011, 11:07 PM   #14
pobrierce

well she does the same thing my doxie has done for years she starts growling and showing teeth as they start walking by and then she flies out the door barking with a deeper than normal bark yet her tail wags a million miles an hour.. i dont let her do this non stop though she goes out barks a few times then i walk out say get in the house and she comes struttin back in the house as if she is thinking yea thats right i did my job

Old 10-31-2011, 11:09 PM   #15
Sironimoll

People can be their own dog's worst enemy.....

Old 10-31-2011, 11:22 PM   #16
pobrierce

lol after reading this i think she understands better she just didnt wanna take my word for it that the dog is fine and perfectly normal.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:33 PM   #17
chodeasyday

In my experience dogs of the same sex especially pit bulls which have a high propensity for DA don't do so well together. This situation with older females and a pit bull puppy has the potential to get ugly as the pit bull gets older. Pit bulls that tolerate other dogs as puppies can over time become less tolerant to just plain nasty with other dogs, and the fact that they are all females makes it worse. In any pack of dogs an alpha female typically will assert dominance over sister siblings or the mother. I would keep a very close watch on these dogs. I am sorry to say I don't think it makes a good combination down the road. For your sake I hope I am wrong but experience tells me you could be setting the dog up for failure.

I would not allow any rough play just because of the size differential between the dogs. I have never had a pit bull that after the age or 12 to 18 months did not show some signs of intolerance with other dogs. I did have a very DA female who at an old age (and with a lot of close supervision) was able to accept my young male but after she passed away he got to the age where he can no longer be trusted with other dogs. Please just be careful as when it happens it happens fast. There are not a lot of warning signs when a dog turns on so to speak.

I have had a dog that was great with other dogs and then one day decided to grab a playmate by the face almost removing its nose. They weren't even roughhousing, they were doing a nose to nose sniff, and wham it happened. Understand I am not trying to create any anxiety but it does sound like you have overtly concerned family members and I wouldn't want your pit bull to be seen as evil if at some point in the future, it decides to act like a typical pit bull. Even their playing can get pretty rough.

BTW my spayed female pit bull loved a male chihuahua who was in tact. The chihuahua was the boss and my pit bull never hurt him even when he got nasty. He was raised with her and was the only dog she would tolerate.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:42 PM   #18
pobrierce

well i already planned to make sure the dogs are seperated when the ambully pup gets older.. when i got the pup she was only 5 weeks so i let her be around the other dogs at all times to learn bite inhibition and other dog things.. but once she starts getting bigger the chihuahua will go back to there room with their doggy door to their side of the yard and the dogs will only be allowed in the house when the other is not.. i know better than to have a full grown larger dog and a smaller dog together as adults expecially if the bigger dog is just a big playful puppy

Old 11-01-2011, 05:09 AM   #19
gimffnfabaykal

DA can pop up unexpectedly. I own two different large breed dogs (Mastiff and APBT) I never had issues with my Mastiff with other family dogs. Then after having my APBT for 6 mths my Mastiff showed his DA. It was not a pretty site and took two of us to separate them. We live a crate/rotate style. That was a year ago and my APBT still hasn't shown signs of DA but we are always on guard. Be prepared to live this lifestyle if things change in your house.
HA is not known to be a part of the APBT style but that is not to say it will not occur if trained properly. Mine will protect the home by his barking however if someone came in our house they may be licked to death.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:38 AM   #20
aaaaaaahabbbby

For one, this is a puppy. A five month old puppy.

If she/he was dog aggressive when the chihuahua snapped at it, the pup would have attacked. Hell the pup would have killed the doxie easy when they where playing!
Ehhh.. MY dog IS DA/DS(dog selective). She lives/plays with a yorkie and plays with 2 mastiffs at the farm. So.... Im not sure exactly what you're saying. (I ALWAYS keep an eye on my girl when shes not crated and around the yorkie. They get into random spats, but I am always there to stop it. Numerous times the yorkie has bit her in the lip and she just starts makrin noise.. but hasnt killed him because i am always there when they interact. I KNOW SHE WOULD LOVE NOTHING MORE THEN TO RIP HIM INTO LIL PIECES.. but since she was 'raised' around him.. she seems to tolerate him a lil more. Other then the dogs at my work.. she will go straight into stalking/screaming mode.)

She CAN A) be DA ti other dogs that she has NOT grown up with and B) Become DA as she matures. For the OP should already expect that the pup could VERY WELL become DA. That is somethng that you should expect before owning the breed. AmBUlly OR not.

As long as you're giving your dog plenty of opertunities to be social with ALL TYPES of humans...Then you have a great chance of your dog being fine!! Have everyone become more involved in the breed.

I think your pup is GROWING UP, shes getting bigger and can be pushy around ur other dogs. With out seeing.. no one can really say! OB classes PLUS would be something GREAT for YOUR WIFE AND YOU to attend with your girl!!

Good Luck!

Reply to Thread New Thread