LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
markbila

Default what breed do you think my jake is
I would like someone to confirm what breed my dog is i adopted him as a pup from my brother in law who didnt have time for him, he told me he was a staffoerdshire bull terrier but he does not come close to brred standard he 19 inch at shoulder 50 pounds red with a red nose.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
BruceCroucshs

Sorry without a pedigree from an honest breeder, it's impossible to know exactly what breed he is.. He's cute though.

Being red/red nose doesn't mean anything really. It's just a color.
Blue/Blue nose, on the other hand, is a color that rarely, if ever, occurs in purebred APBTs.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Buhoutsoupfap

Definitely a bully breed..but NOT an SBT. I would lean towards APBT mix.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
FYIbiatches

Looks Bully/Mastiff-ish to me. He's adorable, whatever he is!! Welcome to the forum.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
MannyLopez

He looks a hella lot like that fellow in my avatar from unknown origin and pedigree. I always said Rowdy was a bull and terrier mix. Who knows if there was ever a "pure bred" fancy breed named dog in his pedigree. I could see attributes of all the bully breeds in Rowdy when the light was just right.

I'd say you have a generic bulldog (pit bull if you like) ... bull and terrier is what they called them over a hundred years ago. That was good enough for them and it's good enough for me.

I just lost Rowdy in September to grade 3 mast cell cancer. He would have been 5 this thanksgiving. It broke my heart. Keep an eye on any lumps and bumps your boy might get.

Jake is a handsome good looking bulldog. The golden eyed ones steal my heart every time

Old 10-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
markbila

reason i ask i am from uk and apbt are illegal and lookin into the law it has been changed in 2007 to any dogs that can be deemed as a pibull types eg mxed apbt or any dog that resembles them in looks can be taken off you and destroyed. A policeman asked me the other day if he was a red nose pitbull i said not and he was a long legged staffi he also asked if he was nuted which he is, he seemed fine and stroked him and got a kiss from jake. he said he was lovely and went on his way. This however has got me worried because he my baby and no body is taking him.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
BruceCroucshs

Well, it's not wise to purposely break the law, especially when it comes to your dog.. That can often result in stricter BSL but I understand (as many here do as well) then want to keep your dog and keep him safe.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
invest7manager

Looks like some sort of Bully breed mix but definately not an SBT

Old 10-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #9
markbila

he looks very similar to jake thankyou for the advice and in so sorry for your loss take care

Old 10-14-2011, 10:02 PM   #10
MannyLopez

Ahhh ... England !!! ... not sure how to get around that one. I would say the truth then. "He was given to me my my in-laws when he was younger because they didn't have time for him. I was told he is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier" ... that would be the truth.

If I'm not mistaken though, isn't the height cut off at 17 inches under British law (maybe 19)? ... so you could have a problem there if push comes to shove.

Could you get away with calling him a bull and terrier mixed breed? ... that's the truth too.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #11
markbila

i am breaking no law as jake is registered, chipped, insured,nutered and microchipped the problem is why i stated the thread is what people think he is and me having no proof what he is apbt are illegal in uk bsl due to media hype and due to the evil people that use them for fighting. When people are asking if he is a pitbull when i got him thinking he was staffi however researching on here he does not fit abpt breed standards which the uk uses as a guide.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:09 PM   #12
Buhoutsoupfap

i am breaking no law as jake is registered, chipped, insured,nutered and microchipped the problem is why i stated the thread is what people think he is and me having no proof what he is apbt are illegal in uk bsl due to media hype and due to the evil people that use them for fighting. When people are asking if he is a pitbull when i got him thinking he was staffi however researching on here he does not fit abpt breed standards which the uk uses as a guide.
Like we are saying he looks like a bully breed mix. No worries. He doesn't look purebred apbt Just a mix. Tell them he is a staffordshire mix

Old 10-14-2011, 10:09 PM   #13
BruceCroucshs

That's fine but FYI, that dog does not look like an SBT.

SBT Pictures

Old 10-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
MannyLopez

Quite frankly, here in the U.S., he'd be a "pit bull" to most people you asked and you'd be hard pressed to prove otherwise. Then again, to many people in the U.S., SBT's are "pit bulls" too. After all, the SBT's were not a formally recognized breed until the 1930's (in Europe. later in the U.S.) and they came from the same dogs in Europe as did the APBT and American Staffordshire Terrier (AST).

I can most certainly understand that under the present circumstance of law, that an Englishman would bristle at the mere though of an SBT as a pit bull, but that's how it is here in some quarters.

My own personal feeling is that there is only one true "pit bull" and that is the APBT, but main stream media and the general public have taken the term "pit bull" to encompass several breeds.

You will find many dogs that look like your Jake, here in the U.S. and most often passed, whether correctly or not, as an APBT. The reason being ... there are no red nosed ASTs. In AST's, red nose is a fault and has been bred out. And Jake does not fit the standard for an SBT (red nose is rare in an SBT as well isn't it?).

Old 10-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #15
BruceCroucshs

The reason being ... there are no red nosed ASTs. In AST's, red nose is a fault and has been bred out. And Jake does not fit the standard for an SBT (red nose is rare in an SBT as well isn't it?).
Ha, learn something new every day. I didn't realize that about the SBT and AST red noses, or lack there of..

Old 10-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #16
MannyLopez

I guess the thinking is that if it isn't an AST or SBT, then it must be an APBT ... go figure. Like I said, Jake just looks like a very handsome generic bull and terrier to me.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:34 PM   #17
BruceCroucshs

I just meant that I didn't realize red nosed dogs couldn't (or weren't supposed to be, however you'd like to word that) be SBTs or ASTs.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:43 PM   #18
MannyLopez

My comment wasn't a response to your post _unoriginal ... I tried to add it to my previous post.

In any case, take a look at the breed standard when you have a chance.

SBT ~ American Kennel Club - Staffordshire Bull Terrier "Black nose"

AST ~ American Kennel Club - American Staffordshire Terrier "Nose definitely black"

In addition to the nose discrepancy with Jake, there is the matter of height. The AKC standard for SBT is 14-16 inches. I THINK as far as the law in England and BSL is concerned, the cut off is 17 inches (or the metric equivalent LOL) ... but it may be 19 inches, I can't remember.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:11 PM   #19
markbila

Although it was in the United States that the Pit Bull Terrier took on its status and character, this breed of dog is not purely of American origin. In fact, most historians and researchers of this amazing dog breed tend to lean more towards the opinion that the American Pit Bull Terrier is the "American version" of the game bred Stafford or the Staffordshire Bull Terrier of the United Kingdom.
Of course the source of the Pit Bull is still debated to this very day, but most of the Pit Bull enthusiasts who tend to agree with the above notion maintain that the English and the Irish immigrants carried their game bred Staffords to the United States. In time the gene pool of the original Staffordshire Bull Terriers became more distant to the Pit Bulls we see today, with specific changes in size as a major factor.

APBT SBT AST are all closely related Think this is why if a sbt OR ast is mixed with another breed making it leaner and taller people atomatically think it must be a APBT and the red nose dosent help.

Anyway made a mountain out of a molehill he is handsome and has the best temprement of any dog i have had and thats all that matters. thankyou

Old 10-14-2011, 11:42 PM   #20
MannyLopez

I didn't say the pit bull was of American origin. On that we can agree. In fact, here is the pedigree of Colby bred APBT. You can trace the pedigree of my pup (by clicking on the dogs names) ... all the way back to dogs that Irish and English immigrants brought to America. The Colby bloodline is one of the oldest, purist, widely respected and most accurately documented bloodline for the APBT in the United States. There is no doubt that these dogs originated in the United Kingdom, as did many other renowned breeds of working dogs.

ONLINE PEDIGREES :: [388137] :: BRED IN MEMORY OF LOU COLBY

My pup is 4 weeks old this Sunday and I can hardly wait to get him home.

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

What I find most interesting is that in spite of over a hundred years of dog development and evolution on separate continents, your Jake and my Rowdy resemble each other so. Fascinating ... and both from unknown origin and pedigree.

Cheers Mate !!!

Reply to Thread New Thread