LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 11-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
SoOW2LeA

A well bred shepherd. It could be a GSD, a Mali, or a Dutchie. I love all three breeds.

As far as working mixes, I'm partial to Alaskan sled dogs. Not that you could tell.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
pseusawbappem

Greyhound APBT, also known as bull lurcher.
I'm not really familiar with the Greyhound temperament. So what would be the characteristics of a bull lurcher? Or at least your ideal bull lurcher?

Old 11-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
vansVoish

In my experience Greyhounds have a temperament rather similar to an APBT, but perhaps a bit more laid back. If there's any aggression it's usually dog aggression, all the ones I have met have been extremely people-friendly, with really high prey drive and lots of energy. As for Bull Lurchers, I've never actually met one, all I know is that they make hellacious hunting dogs, good for most any fast game because of the Greyhound and good for critters ready to fight back because of the APBT. Any combination of the temperaments of the two breeds would work out well for me.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:24 AM   #4
pseusawbappem

In my experience Greyhounds have a temperament rather similar to an APBT, but perhaps a bit more laid back. If there's any aggression it's usually dog aggression, all the ones I have met have been extremely people-friendly, with really high prey drive and lots of energy. As for Bull Lurchers, I've never actually met one, all I know is that they make hellacious hunting dogs, good for most any fast game because of the Greyhound and good for critters ready to fight back because of the APBT. Any combination of the temperaments of the two breeds would work out well for me.
That's really interesting. When I first got Baloo I was told a few times that he looked like he had greyhound in him. I mean, it's crazy of course. They're just basing it off the way his brindle looks, and the way he carries his tail, curled slightly at the end. And he has slightly longer legs than any "pit bull" they've seen. But it made me think, "Why in the world would anyone breed a Greyhound and an APBT???"

But that makes a lot of sense. I'd love to see one in action.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:40 AM   #5
vansVoish

If you can stand the horrible music here's a video of one running by a vehicle

Same dog w/ terriers on a rat (rat @2:15)

Old 11-14-2011, 01:32 AM   #6
Khurlxgq

Bully lurchers are amazing! I've yet to meet one I didn't like... They are laid back at home, very loving and people friendly. I've met a few that were snarky with other dogs. They look like a greyhound with a bit more muscle, not like a pit bull with a bit more leg. (I can't see the videos Cliff posted from this computer lol). They also have more heat tolerance and better feet than purebred greys, usually (of course, when mixing breeds you can always get dogs who have the WORST of either or both breeds).

Bully lurchers are probably pretty close to my ideal dog, temperament/ability wise. I've also wondered how a PWD/APBT cross would turn out - two incredibly happy, human friendly, athletic breeds. Before I knew much about genetics, I was basically wanting a curly-coated pit bull lol

Old 11-14-2011, 01:36 AM   #7
GWRIeEQp

Great Dane x Vizsla x APBT.

The size of the great dane.
The looks of the APBT.
And the personality and drive of both the vizsla and APBT together.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:39 AM   #8
vansVoish

Bully lurchers are probably pretty close to my ideal dog, temperament/ability wise. I've also wondered how a PWD/APBT cross would turn out - two incredibly happy, human friendly, athletic breeds. Before I knew much about genetics, I was basically wanting a curly-coated pit bull lol
That would be interesting! I don't really like curly coated dogs myself, but it would be a mix to see, I bet.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:38 AM   #9
Khurlxgq

That would be interesting! I don't really like curly coated dogs myself, but it would be a mix to see, I bet.

Unfortunately, the dogs would all be smooth coated But it's a cool theory! lol I had a long coated pit bull once... he was neat!

Old 11-14-2011, 02:48 AM   #10
vansVoish

I saw a dog that was listed as a Pit Bull x Brittany... And that's exactly what it looked like, really. A Pit Bull with a coat like a Brittany Spaniel. I called it a Britt Bull. Lol.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:50 AM   #11
pseusawbappem

I'm not much for long coats, but that sounds like it would be so cool to see!

Old 11-14-2011, 03:04 AM   #12
vansVoish

Old 11-14-2011, 03:06 AM   #13
GWRIeEQp

That is one HANDSOME animal! His face is almost...dreamy?

Old 11-14-2011, 04:36 AM   #14
Khurlxgq

That is a cute dog, but he looks all spaniel! lol

Damn it! I was going to post pictures of the long haired pit bull I had... but then I realized, this isn't my computer because mine is dead -.- so I don't have any of my old pictures!

Old 11-14-2011, 04:38 AM   #15
vansVoish

That's why I said he was listed as a Brittany/Pit Bull I don't know anything about Brittanies, or any spaniel really.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:39 AM   #16
GWRIeEQp

I think he looks like, springer spaniel x ambully mix. Lol, idk

Old 11-14-2011, 04:40 AM   #17
Khurlxgq

I actually really like spaniels! They're fun. He doesn't even look like a Brittany lol he looks like a spaniel mix with some other spaniel type.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:51 AM   #18
vansVoish

I never met a spaniel, that I know of, although our neighbor's mutt Chevy looks to have maybe some spaniel in her... she's a Heinz 57. But I prefer short haired dogs, mostly... Only exceptions being Kangals, CAOs, Corgis and Alaskan Huskies.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:36 AM   #19
Khurlxgq

One of the AKC pro handlers I worked with specialized in sporting breeds.. I showed Brittanys and English Springers under her. I've also worked with a lot of field bred spaniels, whose coats are A LOT shorter lol. They're just really fun, happy dogs!

Old 11-14-2011, 05:44 AM   #20
vansVoish

If I had a longhair dog, or any dog with an undercoat, all I can say is that it'd have to be outdoors all the time, haha. They're nicer to pet, but undercoats = shedding!

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 AM ----------

But I've heard Spaniels are people friendly and I love that in dogs. I like guardian breeds too, obviously having a Doberman, but I really love a dog that likes everyone, including strangers.

Reply to Thread New Thread