LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
addyta.org

Default 2 Week Shut Down Necessary?
Normally, I would typically advise and follow the general "Two-Week Shutdown" procedure when bringing a new dog into the household as it just seems to be the most sensible and worthwhile method of introduction. That being said, I was wondering if it is necessary for our situation.

We may be getting a pup. He belongs to my man's best friend, I've posted about the pup (Hurley) here and there. Long story short, the owner/our friend works and is going to school at night so he is away 15 hours a day, because things did not "work out" with his fiance/family life as planned, he does not think that he will have the time for a pup.

To me, it seems somewhat pointless as the dog that we would be bringing into the home is already well-acquainted with us, our home, our dogs and our cats.
He's been here nearly every day for at least 4 hours a day over the past 4 months and typically comes on at least one or two of our many walks each day.
So, I am wondering if the whole two-week shutdown is really worth the effort when everyone's already comfortable as he is here all of the time anyways.

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

Oh, I forgot that puppy threads without photos are frowned upon.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
wmtravelservice

If I recall correctly, 2 week shutdown is only a guideline length of time. Some dogs acclimate faster than others. I'd still take it slow for a couple days just to be sure everything is going smoothly.. I know you've said that Hurley is familiar with everyone and everything but coming into the house as a visitor and as a new permanent fixture, so to speak, will be a little different.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
addyta.org

Yes, you definitely have a point.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
foonlesse

I have never managed a multi dog home for longer then a week or two, so this is somthing I know nothing about...what does a "shut down" consist of?

Old 09-27-2011, 08:23 AM   #5
wmtravelservice

I have never managed a multi dog home for longer then a week or two, so this is somthing I know nothing about...what does a "shut down" consist of?
New Hope Pit Bull Rescue - Adoption - Lowcountry - South Carolina - Renting With Pit Bulls

Old 09-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
corsar-caribean

I did 0 shut down with Bonnie. I've never done it with pups. I would do it with an adult dog, but I've never had a problem with pups adapting to us or the house without a shut-down.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
foonlesse

Thanks Ill read it now!

Old 09-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
Kotyara

Ya... I didn't even bother with Moonshine. Just brought him right into the fold. I figured at that age, bonding was much more important.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
JeremyBalll

I don't do a shutdown with pups either, if the pup is close to a year I would but heck I just enrolled Logan into his puppy classes (they start next week right after his 2nd round of shots if the class fills up, if not probably ganna start after his 3rd round) I figure its more harmful to do a shutdown on a pup than it is to start socialization as soon as possible.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
HedoShoodovex

With 3 new dog acclimations in the house in the past 4+ months, I'll say we didn't use it.
We have 4 dogs in the house already. We let the fosters meet everyone individually, since our dogs are basically alright with other dogs. Our dogs already have a pack structure and we allow the dog to greet in that order.The fosters are alway crated when unsupervised, and, until they can be trusted, leashed in the house (just a drag line).
For the most part, the dogs acclimate within days. But we always go at the dog's pace and crate and rotate if necessary during that period.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #11
tLO0hFNy

i do a version of it for new pups, but mostly for their safety (me tripping over them, and my house dog smashing them) until theyre big enough to handle it.

personally if the pups acquainted and you know what youre doing, you dont need a 2 week shut down.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:54 PM   #12
bestformaldress23

I didn't do a shutdown with my pups. Rita was 1.5 when we got her, but she fit in well on visits and had known us, our pets and our home since she was a pup, so there didn't seem to be a point to it.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #13
addyta.org

Yes, in many ways it seems like it would do more harm than good.
I think it would confuse Hurls (the pup) more than anything else.
He's normally allowed to zoom around the house and rough-house with the big dogs, cuddle on the couch, etc.
I think keeping him separated in a 2 week shutdown would make him feel confused and lonely.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #14
bestformaldress23

He is disgustingly cute, btw. I love the crazy ear stage.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #15
addyta.org

Thanks, MJ. I love his ears, they're wonkier than any pup I've known.
What I love most about him is that his character and appearance are suited perfectly.
He's just as hilariously mischievous and silly as he looks to be.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #16
avavavava

Yeah I wouldn't do it with a puppy, either. I have always got my dogs as pups and had no problem with the dogs that were already grown up. He is cute, good luck!

Old 09-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #17
extessarere

Hes super cute!
In your situation, I wouldn't find it necessary especially since he already spends 4 hours a day at your house, with your dogs, family etc...being adjusted to your routine.

Reply to Thread New Thread