LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
Klissineopar

Default Good news and bad news..
The bad news:

My roof started leaking so we have been getting estimates for the repair. Since my dogs get ridiculously happy to see people, I decided to crate the 3 youngest when the guys come out. We can talk busines without interruption and I don't have to worry about an accidental escape.

The 3rd estimator was supposed to come out Monday between 11 and noon. I crated the dogs at 11 and about 11:30 I went into the basement to fix and unbalanced load in the washer. The estimator never showed.

After school, my daughter brings me a card stuck in the door. Apparently, I missed him. I called to explain that I was most likely in the basement and didn't hear him knock and to ask if he could come back to do the estimate.

He told me he had already done it and added "I was there for about 20 minutes. Your big white dog watched me from the windows the whole time."

YAY! My "guardian breed" seems to be a lemon! Never even barked while some strange dude was all over the place.

The good news:

The last guy came out to give me an estimate and needed access to the back yard and roof. He knew we had dogs and was a bit tense while heading back. he asked what kind of dogs we had. I told him 2 APBT, an AB and a Basset. He visibly relaxed, let out a long breath and said "Oh, good. I see a lot of dogs in my line off work and the Pit Bulls are always real nice. They seem almost happy to see me. It's the small, yappy, ones you have to look out for. They always try to take a chunk out of me!"

I lol'd. He came in with the best estimate and is willing to rid me of that solar panel from 1980 as a courtesy. And, since we're not paying for the solar panel removal, we have enough to get new gutters, too!

Old 09-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
tigoCeree

haha I LOL'd at the "never even barked while some strange dude was all over the place!" atleast he was watching & yay for good prices & saving money!! always a plus!!

Old 09-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
Klissineopar

I had 2 companies that were licensed, insured, did not use sub-contractors, were willing to remove the solar panel as a courtesy (another company wanted 1k to do it) and used the same materials for the same price, but since all things were equal I went with the guy who liked the Pits. The other guy kinda gave me the creeps and he wouldn't even come past the sidewalk when Ike was looking out the window.

I will be so happy to have that damn panel gone. No homeowners insurance company will cover any damage even possibly caused by it, its ugly as sin and its been losing its siding every time we get a good wind.

In the last 3 months I have had 2 cable guys, my mail lady and the roofer all say that they see a lot of dogs in their line of work and Pit Bulls are the best. The mail lady carries treats and gives them to the friendly dogs if the owners ok it. I love her.

Still disappointed with Ike, though.First there was the walk when my husband came up on us in the dark and Ike's solution was "We RUNNIN!" and now he won't even bark at strange men poking around when I'm home alone? *sigh* I didn't think for what I spend on kibble and medical care that it would be too much to ask for a "someone's here" warning bark.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
SypeKifef

My mother and I are in the process of adopting two pit bull babies. She is 64 and lives alone and was talking about how she wanted the dog for protection, I said "Mom! You need to find another type of dog, they aren't guard dogs!" She said "Yeah, but most people don't know that, I just want one that people are scared of when they see it."

So, the pit bulls reputation for being a people dog, and a vicious killer is getting one a good home.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Klissineopar

My mother and I are in the process of adopting two pit bull babies. She is 64 and lives alone and was talking about how she wanted the dog for protection, I said "Mom! You need to find another type of dog, they aren't guard dogs!" She said "Yeah, but most people don't know that, I just want one that people are scared of when they see it."

So, the pit bulls reputation for being a people dog, and a vicious killer is getting one a good home.
My Pit Bulls will bark. "Laaadyyy, hey, LAAADDYYY, someones here! Right there! Right now!!" They are very people friendly and get happy about visitors, but they are also great alert barkers. I think they have the correct temperaments for the breed. Ike, however, is an American Bulldog and supposed to be a guardian breed. He just fails at it, lol.

Ike is by far the largest and most intimidating looking dog I own, but he is much less dangerous than my parrot. Strangers fear him. I get a laugh out of it. If only they knew...

Old 09-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
Deengealf

LoL sadly MJ I can picture Ike doing that..he reminds me of the dumb meatwall type. I love him. It is awesome the the Pit Bulls have a supporter who knows they won't bite unprovoked or eat people.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
pataagusata

Macho sure as hell was a protector. Let me tell you if you werent asked by his momma to come into the house you were in for a bad day. Never once did he ever try to bite someone but let me tell you he had the vicious look down. Not exactly a bad thing when your husband is deployed for 8 months and you dont have anyone to help you out...

Old 09-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
Klissineopar

Shannon, my husband is a truck driver and I was here alone a lot with the kids. My family lives an hour or more north or south of me, depending on which family member. I got Ike because I wanted a good dog who would be a great family companion, on the large side and who would protect myself and my kids should anything bad happen. Alert bark, act as a deterrent, maybe physically protect us if it ever came to that.

That's what guardian breeds are supposed to naturally do, right? But nooo, I ended up with a lazy, people lovin marshmallow. I even tried to do Sch and when he was evaluated they said he didn' have the drive for it. I think that was code for "Lady, your dog is a lazy wuss."

If I am ever victim of a break in or assault, the only way Ike will help if is if I teach him to dial 911.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #9
BodoidearoLew

haha i got a great laugh out of this post!!

Old 09-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #10
rojettafoxx

Ike, however, is an American Bulldog and supposed to be a guardian breed. He just fails at it, lol.

Ike is by far the largest and most intimidating looking dog I own, but he is much less dangerous than my parrot. Strangers fear him. I get a laugh out of it. If only they knew...[/QUOTE]

My neighbor has a big AB boy. (Petey) He is one of the biggest goof ball dogs I have ever seen. However, don't let the fool you. The first time we changed dog sitting procedures to keep him away from Jake we had quite a surprise.
The first time we walked through that door, this massive white monster with teeth bared came out of the bedroom. Now had I not known Petey very well (helped in some training) I would have headed out that door and never come back. But I stood my ground and when he saw that it was me, turned right back into the goof ball we all know and love. I know he will sit and watch people out the window without making a sound also, but step foot in that house and it's on! Maybe that is how Ike is?

Old 09-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #11
pataagusata

My neighbor has a big AB boy. (Petey) He is one of the biggest goof ball dogs I have ever seen. However, don't let the fool you. The first time we changed dog sitting procedures to keep him away from Jake we had quite a surprise.
The first time we walked through that door, this massive white monster with teeth bared came out of the bedroom. Now had I not known Petey very well (helped in some training) I would have headed out that door and never come back. But I stood my ground and when he saw that it was me, turned right back into the goof ball we all know and love. I know he will sit and watch people out the window without making a sound also, but step foot in that house and it's on! Maybe that is how Ike is?
That was Macho. If you werent asked to be in the house, or he didnt know who you were, he would look like he was going to tear your face off. After he realized it was ok he was all good. Some people he just never liked though. We had a maintenance man who no matter how often he met Macho, he always wanted to take a chunk out of him, but he gave me the creeps too.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #12
Wsjltrhe

I'd call your "guard dog" pretty damn accurate if he watched the guy who was supposed to be there do an estimate and leave his card! With a guard dog, I want them to show some discrimination - if something is up, you need to act. Otherwise... keep an eye out!

Old 09-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #13
Klissineopar

I wish.

We have tested him twice. Once when my husband and I walked him over to a friends house so he could visit and play with their APBT. They were best buddies. Anyways, we left very late in the night and as we walked back I was crossing a very dark and empty field. The hubby was quite a bit behind. He ran to catch up but we didn't know that and couldn't see who it was. Ike's response was hear sound, look back, see large person, spider jump up and to the side like a cat and RUUUUN! He dragged me for about a blocks worth or field before my husbands laughing "Its me, Ike, it's me!" finally penetrated his lil brain and he stopped.

The 2nd test we staged a break in. Ike's sorry ass tried to fit under a chair that is by far not high enough to accommodate a fully grown AB. He also wimpered a bit. It was sad.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:47 PM   #14
FoetAgerhot46

The 2nd test we staged a break in. Ike's sorry ass tried to fit under a chair that is by far not high enough to accommodate a fully grown AB. He also wimpered a bit. It was sad.
Awww, this makes me love him!

Old 09-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #15
ASSESTYTEAH

I wish.

We have tested him twice. Once when my husband and I walked him over to a friends house so he could visit and play with their APBT. They were best buddies. Anyways, we left very late in the night and as we walked back I was crossing a very dark and empty field. The hubby was quite a bit behind. He ran to catch up but we didn't know that and couldn't see who it was. Ike's response was hear sound, look back, see large person, spider jump up and to the side like a cat and RUUUUN! He dragged me for about a blocks worth or field before my husbands laughing "Its me, Ike, it's me!" finally penetrated his lil brain and he stopped.

Gosh, this had me laughing alot.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:58 AM   #16
Klissineopar

Leila, I love Ike, too. If I didn't I would have found him a nice home and got a real guard dog, rofl.

Missa, I laugh now, but then I was just bummed that my big, manly, dog was such a wimp.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:02 AM   #17
Deengealf

Ike is awesome. I am gonna stand by big dumb meatwall. LoL. If you ever want to pawn him on someone...pick me!

Old 09-22-2011, 03:12 AM   #18
Druspills

I know you are disappointed that Ike is not shaping up to be a guard dog. But he sounds incredibly adorable. At least you dog watched the guy. My dog stays in bed. He does not even bark.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:22 AM   #19
Kotyara

Gaud.. I wish my dogs would shut the hell up. They bark any chance they get. Freakin' loud mouths. lol

Old 09-22-2011, 03:32 AM   #20
pMJWFoAWD

Awwww... Ike sounds the sweetest. Cash is definitely a balanced AB that checks off nearly all (if not all) of the breed characteristics on the list. A) His nickname is meatball. B) He has a huge head that everyone notices. LOL He also alerts to strange noises/people outside, but has shown that he won't hesitate to follow through, either.

My APBT would do the cat jump/bolt thing and get the hell out of there, he's such a cur. He bolts out of the room of a broom falls over. BUT, being a cur he also puts on the biggest threat display/alert to something outside of the house. Drives me CRAZY!

Reply to Thread New Thread