LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-29-2011, 03:36 AM   #1
Pinkman

Default Help
Hi,
I am new to this site. I recently adopted a pit from a local shelter at the age of 8weeks. He is now 3months and the training process is going well. I have not had any problems with him other than typical puppy stuff. That being said, my question is this; can our apartment kick us out because of pit profiling? My husband commutes 5days a week so, he got an apartment. Neither I nor our pup is on the lease since we do not "live" here. When my husband signed the lease there was no restriction on breeds -- as of yesterday the leasing office posted a notice that pit bulls are no longer welcome on the premises under ANY conditions. What can I do? Can they kick us out even though THEY changed the conditions of the contract?
I'm sure someone here might have gone thru something similar. Is there any hope?
Thanks!!

Old 05-29-2011, 03:47 AM   #2
Plonnikas

It can be a problem, yes. I would talk to them about it. Is there an option to move? I would seriously think about that and find an apartment that does not have breed restrictions.
Check out this sticky:
Renting with your dog Regardless of Breed

Old 05-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
DJElizardo

Since you are not on the lease, and the dog was not approved prior to the change in rules, yes, they CAN kick you out or make you get rid of the dog. If the dog had been a "legal" resident prior to the rule change, and was accepted by the rental agency, you COULD have fought any decision to evict in the court system, but as you and the dog are not on the lease...you have no rights. Heck...they can kick you guys out JUST because YOU live there without being on the lease.

The fact that the shelter adopted the dog to you without first checking your living situation, and checking with the rental agency to make sure the dog was welcome themselves...makes that shelter a poorly run place, and part of "the problem" facing this breed in the first place. (Not that any of that is YOUR fault...unless you lied to them about your situation).

Reply to Thread New Thread