LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-27-2009, 02:41 AM   #1
TypeTeasiaDer

Default Crate or Chain Spot
I want to hear peoples opinions on containment. Some people prefer crate, some a chain spot. Most of my dogs are on chains. I prefer a chain to a crate but i live in the country where barking is not an issue. In my opinion a dog is an animal and is meant to be outside alot, not sittin in a crate for 9 hours a day while im at work. Im not saying crating a dog is bad, every dog i have ever owned is crate trained, i love crates. I disagree with people who think chain spots are mean or cruel. I bet if a dog could talk they would pick a chain everytime. I didnt really mention a chain link kennel cuz they are not really a good option for the breed and have let many of us down...so what do u prefer and why?

Old 04-27-2009, 03:14 AM   #2
bridsanaeds

I crate mine but if I could do chain set ups, I would.

I can't because I live in the city so barking is an issue and there is not really a yard. Couldn't fit proper chain set ups out there! lol Plus it gets too hot here for me to be comfortable keeping my dogs outside. I know they are dogs and can handle it with shade and water but I am not comfortable with my dogs out in 120 degree weather when I can have them inside.

Chain setups are so much better though! They get to be outside and experience new things which they couldn't do in the crate. They have WAY more room on a proper chain setup as well. And they don't have to hold it if they have to go to the bathroom

Old 04-27-2009, 03:17 AM   #3
WGRocky

If I was a dog, I'd a lot rather be on a chain spot, WAY more room to move around.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:09 AM   #4
GennadiyRom

I have all three actually, crates, tie ups, as well as a kennel. The dogs DEFINITLEY prefer their tie up and honestly, except for Tank, just because he's too stupid to even think he can get out of the kennel and he's big enough for me to worry about him busting a tie up, as he has before, or just gotten off the stupid bull snap , I trust the chain spots more for containing them. I've had Nyx escape the kennel although I had a six foot privacy fence at the time so it wasn't a biggy and she just ran to the tire swing. Deeohgee is also a kennel escaper according to her old owner so I don't risk it with her. With Arez though, she likes the chain spot better, but she tends to tangle it so I have to be very careful and watch her when she's on it. I'm home all day, so they are rotated between inside and outside depending who gets along with who and what's going on that day. If I have to go out and do errands, they are all crated inside though as I not only live in the city and the barking isn't appreciated I'm sure {while I'm home I tell them to cork it! lol} I also live in the ghetto and wouldn't trust them not getting stolen or shot by the idiot cops around here as they a little to trigger happy when it comes to the breed. I would LOVE to be out in the boonies where they could be on their chain spots during nice weather, barking their fool heads off all day but I'd probably still bring them inside if I left as I'd worry to much. I'm a bit of a mum.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:27 AM   #5
BopeDolaNeone

I prefer a crate b/c that away I know my dog is contained inside the house. If he gets out of his crate he is still inside the house. Outside there is to many people that could steal Lugz or he could escape so I personally would rather him to stay in a crate.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:48 AM   #6
dWSOj26H

We have tether laws here and it get too hot to leave dogs out for a large part of the year. So the answer to the question really depends on local laws, weather and the dog itself.

We crate Peanut every night and when we leave the house. She's fine with that. I'm home most days, so she's almost always out in the house all day.

She'd hate being outside by herself - she won't even do her business outside unless one of us (me mostly) goes out with her.

So she's a spoiled inside dog.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:29 AM   #7
nuveem7070

I prefer a crate, mostly because my dogs love their crates. I have a backyard so I don't really see the point of putting a chain set up in my full fenced backyard....although I also have a dog run so one goes in the backyard and the one that eats poop goes in the dog run during the summer if I'm only going to be gone for a little while. Since I live in the city I don't really trust them being alone too long, which is where the crate comes in handy. Plus, I have central air so they stay cool.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:41 AM   #8
UKkoXJvF

I prefer proper chain set ups. Dogs have fresh air and plenty of room to move around.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #9
huedaanydrax

Only have two dogs and rarely are we gone so one gets crated, one goes in our basement. Generally they get put up 2-4 hours a day at most and not at all somedays, my b/f and I work opposite shifts. It's way too cold and snowy up here to tether except for 3-4 months anyways.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
detskpit

Odie goes outside when I'm not home, but it's usually only 1-2 hrs.Dh and I work opposite shifts so someone is usually always home. Odie hates the crate, he was crate trained when I got him at 4 mos supposedly, but then he started to get bratty and started hurting his nose to where it would really bleed. So no crate in our house. If it gets too hot or too cold here then we leave him in the house and he's usually a very good boy.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
Sowsunese

I personally prefer a chain spot for my dogs.

If I lived in a more populated area, then I would definitely rather have a crate, because I wouldn't want people trying to steal my dogs.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #12
addisonnicogel

I crate mine but if I could do chain set ups, I would. Same here.. Im unable to have mine on a chain spots, or Id do so in a second.

I LOVE your set up Cynthia, that looks awesome!

Old 04-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #13
ivandiadser

I prefer chain setups, but I use a combination of crates, chain spots and fences to contain my dogs.

A chain is the only thing that can properly contain Bud. He has gotten out of (outdoor) Magnum Kennels, demolished multiple crates and can jump fences if given enough time. My other three couldn't get their way out of a wet paper bag and are older dogs, so crates and fencing works for them.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #14
neirty

i crate the puppy and trey stays in the house with all he room doors closed hes known to destroy crates,but when my fence goes up i want to make them both a chain spot.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:05 AM   #15
TaliaJack

i have a 12'x20' shed that is insulated with heat and air .i bought the 54'' great dane creates and put in there.chain spots behind the shed.i put the dogs out before i go to work (if the wife is going to be home) and crate at night and when no one is home.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:20 AM   #16
hotelhyatt

I choose to crate. For several reason. One- the summer is extremely hot here. Two my yard is not big enough to chain all the dogs. Three I like grass in my yard and chain spots kill grass! Four- had one dog stolen before, feel safer with them locked inside.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:01 AM   #17
Ettiominiw

My dog loves to be out on his chain.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:03 AM   #18
ReggieRed

I want to hear peoples opinions on containment. Some people prefer crate, some a chain spot. Most of my dogs are on chains. I prefer a chain to a crate but i live in the country where barking is not an issue. In my opinion a dog is an animal and is meant to be outside alot, not sittin in a crate for 9 hours a day while im at work. Im not saying crating a dog is bad, every dog i have ever owned is crate trained, i love crates. I disagree with people who think chain spots are mean or cruel. I bet if a dog could talk they would pick a chain everytime. I didnt really mention a chain link kennel cuz they are not really a good option for the breed and have let many of us down...so what do u prefer and why?
Chain mine has his dog house and all out there also.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:09 AM   #19
FelikTen

None of the above. My dog is free in the yard. He never gets out, was trained not to. In my country people with fenced yards leave their dogs off leash. Those who don't have a fence chain their dogs outside. I don't know why it is such a fuss in the USA.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:40 AM   #20
GennadiyRom

I don't know why it is such a fuss in the USA.
Because groups like Dog's Deserve Better have brainwashed the sheeple into believing chains are inherently evil, and like sheeple, they didn't bother to THINK about it.

Reply to Thread New Thread