LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-24-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
Grenader

Default Lack of research and understanding in relation to the breed.
Hello guys, haven't been here for a while. Thought I'd kick off my return with a new topic.

So, okay, something I saw today confirmed my belief that people should stop rushing out and buying Pits (which I don't agree with anyway), and other Bully Breeds, out of ignorance. It's SO important to do your research and know the proper way to be a responsible owner before getting ANY dog, let alone a Bully Breed. I was walking along with Prince, who walks very well on the leash and ignored other dogs if I tell him too or if they're showing aggression towards him, and this dog behind us started barking at him and straining to get at him. Prince was not bothered but I was apprehensive. The dog looked like another Bully to me, a Staff I think. A closer look at the owner suggested the typical ignorant youth, probably not much older than me. He was barely controlling his dog; alternating between the two extremes - pulling her around aggressively and then letting her get away with what she was doing. I walked ahead anyway but had to stop when Prince dropped his ball. Eventually, we were walking level and his dog was still straining for Prince. I asked him if his dog has always been DA and he asked me what sex Prince was, as she usually goes for girls but is fine with boys. He wasn't very effective in pulling her away from Prince, and several times I had to move Prince away from her as I was worried a fight would break out, and Prince is full of injuries atm (I don't know how, it's worrying me but we have a vets appointment tomorrow, so they'll be addressed then). As we walked along together, me trying to educate him, his dog was still agitated and he wasn't shortening the leash or attempting to calm her down! He also told me she'd just had pups, and I suggested spaying her. As we parted, I told him about the Bull Breed classes me and Prince sometimes attend (we don't really go anymore as Prince is so well behaved but gets really distracted at the club, so I prefer to train him when we're alone) free of charge. He seemed interested, so hopefully he'll learn something there. It just frustrates me though, because people get these dogs and they have no knowledge of either the breed or dogs in general!

Reply to Thread New Thread