LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 01-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
valiumcheapll

Default Another Question. Sorry Guys! Lol
So I have yet another question. Sorry to anyone if I'm annoying you lol. But my question is..What can I do to get my dog to quit mouthing! My dad plays with her a lot (rough housing) and I'm noticing that she's starting to "nip/mouth". It doesn't hurt or anything, but I don't want her to start that habit because it could get worse. Especially when I have little cousins and a younger/short brother. When I brought her to visit a friend she was good but then after a while she started grabbing at her long sleeves and mouthing. She's careful that she doesn't get your skin but still..
Any advice? Or is this something that I shouldn't be so worried about?

Old 01-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
Gosxjqum

Stop playing with her immediately and then correct her. My Doberman was a HORRIBLE mouther. Needle teeth suck as well. This is not an acceptable behavior so try and curb it once you start to see her getting the least bit too rough, especially with children around.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
jaydicassdhy

Mouthing is one of the things I don't allow either of my dogs to do - mostly cause they can get too excited and go to far before you have a chance to stop them. Your thoughts about playing with the kids can be an issue, too.

First, I'd talk to your dad and get him on board with stopping the behavior. What I've done when playing with Jet and Molli is to stop immediately when any part of their mouth touches me. By stopping the game, turning around and ignoring them, they learned very quickly that any mouthing with people means no more playing. I also give a verbal "No teeth" or "No Mouth" command when I stop.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #4
valiumcheapll

Okay thank you guys!
When she did it to me yesterday I just yelled. She tucked her tail and lowered her head almost like say "I sorry! I sorry!" lol

Old 01-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
jaydicassdhy

Yep, she will get the idea pretty quickly as long as everyone is consistent!

Reply to Thread New Thread