LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-13-2010, 01:39 AM   #21
shumozar

I meant to watch this show but missed it, hopefully I'll catch a rerun. But Cesar just had a show with a similar dog with the same issues. For a good part of the show the dog was muzzled. The issues were obvious and Cesar laid it out for the owner that the best thing maybe for the dog to be put to sleep. The owner,.. also a female thought it over and refused. To a point where Cesar offered to take her dog and she can pick any one of his. There were quite a few fights on this show but the owner refused to give her dog up. If I could remember the name of the episode I could find it and post a link but not having much luck with that.

Long story short after working with the dog and the owner things worked out. Not every dog can be saved. As far as I'm concerned in most cases,..yes its the owners fault. While in others it maybe a genetic or chemical imbalance on the dogs part. No,.. not everyone should own this breed, pets at all or even have kids for that matter,.. but they do.

These shows are shot over periods of days to months in some cases. Then edited into 30 or 45 min shows by producers that show what they want us to see. Yet people are always so quick to criticize and speculate more so about the trainers and the people helping more than anything else. There's not one universal training method that will work on every dog. If there was then we would have a hell of a lot fewer shows on tv. I can't say there would be less issues because when ever people are involved . It's just a matter of time before someone mentally and physically incontinent comes along,... and, we all know what comes next.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:45 AM   #22
DoctorQuquriramba

where can i go to watch the full episode?
i went to animal planet and they have lil sections for us to see.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:50 AM   #23
raspirator

You can try "On Demand" if you have any satellite or digital cable. I have it on "On Demand."

Old 05-13-2010, 01:54 AM   #24
DoctorQuquriramba

i dont have that...crap
i dont even have the new cable box yet,lmfao

Old 05-13-2010, 02:13 AM   #25
Cibirrigmavog

We all wanted to see Tia push more for the owner to have the dog PTS, as he should be.

However it was not her dog, not her decision and SO she did the next best things: gave the owner a huge reality check, made sure the owner knew what had to be done if she chose to keep the dog alive, and even had her crew physically make sure the dog was secure.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:21 AM   #26
raspirator

Her is the Dog Whisperer episode you were talking about. The Pit Bull section starts about 26 minutes in.

Hulu - Dog Whisperer: Most Aggressive Breeds - Watch the full episode now.@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.hulu.com/embed/FaKFP5lvQfanXwJq-NKCTQ@@AMEPARAM@@FaKFP5lvQfanXwJq-NKCTQ

Old 05-13-2010, 04:42 AM   #27
12Jasoumemoobia

Her is the Dog Whisperer episode you were talking about. The Pit Bull section starts about 26 minutes in.

Hulu - Dog Whisperer: Most Aggressive Breeds - Watch the full episode now.
Thanks for posting! I'm watching the whole thing in kitchen with the laptop and the BOSE speakers! Looks like this will be a good episode!

Old 05-13-2010, 06:14 AM   #28
raspirator

Thanks for posting! I'm watching the whole thing in kitchen with the laptop and the BOSE speakers! Looks like this will be a good episode!
I watched most of it. It is a pretty good episode. I did skip the third dog (the mix), because I really wanted to get under the covers and watch some TV with my lady.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #29
Nidsstese

I see a few mentions of Cesar. Generally, I think he makes sense and is to be respected. However, what people really need to understand is that just because your favorite TV dog trainer/psychologist/behaviorist can rehab and safely handle a certain type of dog with problems doesn't mean the owner of that dog will be able to handle things for the next 5-10 years once the TV crew has left. I have seen quite a few shows where Cesar was dealing with a weak or stupid owner and an unstable dog and I could only think that the best outcome would have been euthanasia.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:18 PM   #30
12Jasoumemoobia

I see a few mentions of Cesar. Generally, I think he makes sense and is to be respected. However, what people really need to understand is that just because your favorite TV dog trainer/psychologist/behaviorist can rehab and safely handle a certain type of dog with problems doesn't mean the owner of that dog will be able to handle things for the next 5-10 years once the TV crew has left. I have seen quite a few shows where Cesar was dealing with a weak or stupid owner and an unstable dog and I could only think that the best outcome would have been euthanasia.
After watching Cesar's episode, I think the main problem I see is too many people want to shoot a Bazooka when they can't handle a BB Gun. These dogs are born with a high prey drive, can have egos, are very strong, and you gotta be able to handle them, which is the problem I see with many owners. If you want one of the strongest breeds on the planet, then you should at least be able to get them the exercise they NEED and still be a tough coach, and be strong enough to stop them if they want to chase a rabbit...If you can't drive a 4-cylinder, then why step up to a V-8?

Old 06-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #31
Unonounaple

Me too! That dog is an accident and liability WAITING to happen.

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

That dog NEEDS to be put DOWN!
These were my exact thoughts the very second I saw that dog. If Tia really knew her shit she would have recognized that immediatlely. I find it harder and harder to give her any credibility. Just another self-proclaimed dog Jesus.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:44 AM   #32
Lenny Hensley

That was the first episode I've ever watched and I'm not going to make it a point to watch again.That dog needs a bullet,Even if there were any hope for him being changed its not going to happen with that owner.From what I saw it seemed to me that dog was just plain terrified.He probably wouldnt have been that way if he had an owner who let him know his place from day one.The dog knows hes in control over that girl and doesnt seem to like it.Just my first impressions ,based on the info give.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:13 AM   #33
12Jasoumemoobia

It seems like most of the people on this thread think if the dog acts up, it has nothing to do with the owner and needs to be put down. Pretty sad...

Old 08-13-2010, 07:26 AM   #34
Lenny Hensley

It seems like most of the people on this thread think if the dog acts up, it has nothing to do with the owner and needs to be put down. Pretty sad...
That dog was not "acting up". That was classic fear agression,of which one of the causes is directly related to how the dog interacts with its "pack" I.E.- its owner. "acting up" is something young children do when they have too much energy,not trying to bite peoples faces off.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #35
Slonopotam845

Acting up- whining when separated, pulling towards a squirrel, jumping
PTS- bites someone, continues to show aggression even to owner, cannot be a safe member of the community and must be confined 24x7 to a kennel

That dog is not "acting up", and it has nothing to do with the owner, training wise. This dog is wired wrong, and always will be. It cannot be "cured" or "rehabilitated", it is not "normal", and it will always be dangerous.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #36
ClaudeMarkus

Acting up- whining when separated, pulling towards a squirrel, jumping
PTS- bites someone, continues to show aggression even to owner, cannot be a safe member of the community and must be confined 24x7 to a kennel

That dog is not "acting up", and it has nothing to do with the owner, training wise. This dog is wired wrong, and always will be. It cannot be "cured" or "rehabilitated", it is not "normal", and it will always be dangerous.
Ditto.

My dogs act up sometimes. They're dogs after all, not robots. But they don't try to rip my face off. They've never so much as growled at a human, because they're 100% stable dogs and they've been extremely well socialized.

If they ever tried to bite me, or anyone else, for no good reason (aka someone was trying to kill me, situations like that), they would be PTS. Like I always say, there are WAY too many 100% stable, nice dogs dying in shelters every year than to deal with that crap.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #37
G8whlTAe

All I'm going to say is I have very little respect for Ceasar Millan. I have heard him say "it's how you raise them" to a DA "pit bull"'s owner. I have seen him numerous times take a DA dog (whether it be actual aggression or fear-based reactivity), and just dump it, off leash, into the middle of that pack of dogs in a fenced-in parking lot wherever his facility is. STUPID, in my book. There is a difference between rehabilitation (read: cure/fix) and management.
At least Tia is smart enough to have stressed that dog be PTS.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:41 AM   #38
Jasonstawnosaa

All I'm going to say is I have very little respect for Ceasar Millan. I have heard him say "it's how you raise them" to a DA "pit bull"'s owner. I have seen him numerous times take a DA dog (whether it be actual aggression or fear-based reactivity), and just dump it, off leash, into the middle of that pack of dogs in a fenced-in parking lot wherever his facility is. STUPID, in my book. There is a difference between rehabilitation (read: cure/fix) and management.
At least Tia is smart enough to have stressed that dog be PTS.
Bold emphasis mine.

I never heard Tia tell the owner the dog needed to be put to sleep. But it's been several days and I have a tendency to forget things.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #39
Cibirrigmavog

She did recommend the dog be PTS - I don't remember the exact words. But she didn't push it hard enough IMO. Still I don't think the owner could have been convinced to do it no matter what. We talk about what is a furmommy ... SHE was, in the most awful way. IMO.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:35 AM   #40
12Jasoumemoobia

Here are the owner's own words after receiving criticism on the Pit Bull and Parole's Facebook page:

"I just want to simply say that my story was told in a matter of 18 minutes including a lot of editing. Gwato has been a part of me and my son's life since he was a puppy. I do trust him with my son and have been taking a lot of training procedures into action. Would I let my son run in the backyard with him? No way...everything is controlled. In addition, my son knows the rules and guidelines regarding Gwato. He protects my son to the utmost. Please understand he is dedicated to his family...it's other people I worry about. Gwato is in the house most of the day as he does not bark ongoing but rather whimper for his mommy. I assure you he can not get out of his kennel. I didn't sign up for a "crazy" dog but now that I have one who is absolutely perfect behind closed doors, I should go end his short 2 year old life??
I am fully aware of the potential problems and I will be the one to deal with them should they occur. I have seen other trainers and will attempt other's if at all possible. @Danessa, No one said I was CM. You are right my dog is a PROBLEM, with no POSITIVE ENERGY, and not calm at all. However, he is ASSERTIVE but in a negative manner. Keep in mind we were surrounded by people which is one of Gwato's issues. It was a stressful situation for him and it's called television for entertainment. I won't elaborate. All the things Gwato is not, is the reason I went to Tia for help. Thanks to the others for your caring concerns...it is motivating. I truly wish they could have expressed his positive side and completely different demeanor at home where he is relaxed, safe, and comfortable. Gwato is in very good hands! I, too, am an extremely responsible owner of dogs with a heart full of love."
- Gwato and Brody's mommy

Reply to Thread New Thread