LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
Aozenee

Default Need help getting through to my grandmother...
Okay, so I have an 18 week old APBT puppy named Nala.. who is good for the most part. She does have her "moments" however. She is always hungry... no matter how much she eats therefore she is constantly trying to go upstairs and get into the cat food or trying to eat my older dogs food. She also still is a little jumpy on people, however she is slowly getting better. I am all about positive training ( I say off or down and treat/praise when she listens ), however my grandmother seems to want to do things in a different way. She bangs newspapers at her and smacks her butt with newspapers when she wants her to listen. That is my problem! I am worried that this could possibly create some form of fear based aggression?? Do you agree with me... and if so is there anything that you can suggest I try to do?? I have already attempted talking to her about this but she doesn't listen... just like my "no table food rule".. she slips the dogs table food HENCE the reason the pup now jumps up at people when they are at the table and now my grandmother gets mad.... I am starting to lose my mind

Old 05-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
Dfvgthyju

The only thing you can do is attempt to educate her. We can post some articles or websites she can read, but if she refuses to listen, then the only thing you can do is never allow her to interact with th epuppy.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
saruxanset

put the dog in a crate while you are eating. keep the dog on a leash with you while in the house. a little sense goes along ways...You need to show a little respect for your grandmother.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
Aozenee

For the most part, Simms, I do already do what you are saying. However my GRANDMOTHER takes it upon herself to let the dog out of the crate when I am not home, or if I am not in the room. She has recently lost her beloved chihuahua and it appears that she has taken on Nala as her new pride and joy... which is why I am trying to get through to her as to the proper way to train ( not just banging newspapers and smacking her butt with a newspaper.. and no table food ).

Although I appreciate alllll of the help you gave me in your response ( sarcasm ) I think I will just try to find some articles on fear based aggression such as gator has suggested. Thanks!

Old 05-13-2010, 05:02 AM   #5
saruxanset

Are you the one that had the issue with the nephew and the inlaws?

Old 05-13-2010, 05:21 AM   #6
ArraryTauTDew

For the most part, Simms, I do already do what you are saying. However my GRANDMOTHER takes it upon herself to let the dog out of the crate when I am not home, or if I am not in the room. She has recently lost her beloved chihuahua and it appears that she has taken on Nala as her new pride and joy... which is why I am trying to get through to her as to the proper way to train ( not just banging newspapers and smacking her butt with a newspaper.. and no table food ).

Although I appreciate alllll of the help you gave me in your response ( sarcasm ) I think I will just try to find some articles on fear based aggression such as gator has suggested. Thanks!
I think Simms likes to troll.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:33 AM   #7
derisgun

i ended up in my parents place when my pup was really young, my mother is the kind of person who thinks its cute when a dog jumps on you, fed her from the table, repeatedly used the command 'stay' as 'staystaystaystaystay' so basically she was undoing every aspect of training that I did. Eventually I just did not let her near the dog, kept my pup with me at all times and when I was away from home, I had her at a friends for longer times or I had a lock on her kennel if I was just out to the store for ten minutes.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:17 AM   #8
Cibirrigmavog

I think Simms likes to troll.
WHAT?! That is WAY out of line and nothing could be further from the truth

Anyhow to the OP: you are living with your grandmother, with your giant lab and various cats, and then decided that adding a pit bull puppy into the mix was a good idea.

Your grandmother should be sainted for putting up with it all IMHO.

For your immediate problem, yes her ways of dealing with this pup sounds wrong, but however you decide to solve it, showing your grandmother respect is Rule #1. Period, end of story.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
QwOpHGyZ

put padlocks on the damn crate, take the keys with you and she won't be able to get the dog out..
problem solved!

Old 06-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #10
Nidsstese

Older people tend to not get out much and really like pets. So, why not enroll in a positive reinforcement obedience class and take grandma with you? She will see the trainer using positive reinforcement methods, learn why they work and why consistency is important plus she will get out of the house, interact with other pet owners and their animals. Not to mention the benefits for the dog.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #11
Dfvgthyju

You can show her articles on fear based aggression if you want, but what she needs to see are the articles explaining WHY positive reinforcement works, and punishment does not.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #12
fluistulkn

the advice Simms gave you was right on....
if you are in your grandmothers house... well, it is her house....
if not, then you have to work on your relationship with your grandmother.... if she will not listen to you, she damn sure is not going to listen to your quoting us....
it seems that appropriate behavior training is lacking in more than the dog in this situation.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #13
Zenthachall

I think you could be doing better in this situation to control your pup. They do make locks for the crates. Honestly, a smack on the rump with a newspaper shouldn't shatter your dog's confidence.... if it does, you definitely need to work a lot harder with the pup, because if that phases her now, imagine when she's an adult. Can we say liability?

Good luck. There were several useful ideas presented so far.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:40 AM   #14
Aozenee

Well...for the whole story. My grandfather passed away three weeks ago I already had my pets and my grandmother insisted I moved in because she didn't want to live alone. My puppy was pretty well trained before I moved in and it is all getting undone. And for the record my grandmother actually refers to me as a saint due to the fact that I was the only one in the family to help her as my grandfathers health drastically went downhill due to brain cancer. The house is actually in my name, she signed it over to me a while ago. So now that you all know my whole life story ( since it seems as though most just assume things...) I just figured SOMEBODY had been in a situation such as myself in the past and would have some pointers on how to talk to someone who is basically undoing all training. Thanks anyway.

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

And I do appreciate the people who did give me useful answers..I may look into obedience training..even though she has all basic commands it might be good for my grandmother to tag along.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:57 AM   #15
saruxanset

the advice Simms gave you was right on....
if you are in your grandmothers house... well, it is her house....
if not, then you have to work on your relationship with your grandmother.... if she will not listen to you, she damn sure is not going to listen to your quoting us....
it seems that appropriate behavior training is lacking in more than the dog in this situation.
Thank you sir.

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

WHAT?! That is WAY out of line and nothing could be further from the truth

Anyhow to the OP: you are living with your grandmother, with your giant lab and various cats, and then decided that adding a pit bull puppy into the mix was a good idea.

Your grandmother should be sainted for putting up with it all IMHO.

For your immediate problem, yes her ways of dealing with this pup sounds wrong, but however you decide to solve it, showing your grandmother respect is Rule #1. Period, end of story.
Thank you Buddy's mom.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:52 AM   #16
Alexeric

put the dog in a crate while you are eating. keep the dog on a leash with you while in the house. a little sense goes along ways...You need to show a little respect for your grandmother.
Agreed.

And smacking a dog with a newspaper isn't going to cause aggression issues. My dogs have all had a come to jesus moment or two, and there have been no issues.

Get a few padlocks for the crate, keep the dog on a leash (and you can correct when someone gets jumped on), enroll in an obedience class and take your grandma.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #17
kHy87gPC

theres many ways to train a dog. while you may not agree with it, some dogs fair better with different ways of training.

with that being said, put a lock on your crate. i know how you feel when that happens, as i dont like when other people correct my dogs in a way that isnt part of their specific training.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #18
Cibirrigmavog

Well...for the whole story. My grandfather passed away three weeks ago I already had my pets and my grandmother insisted I moved in because she didn't want to live alone. My puppy was pretty well trained before I moved in and it is all getting undone. And for the record my grandmother actually refers to me as a saint due to the fact that I was the only one in the family to help her as my grandfathers health drastically went downhill due to brain cancer. The house is actually in my name, she signed it over to me a while ago. So now that you all know my whole life story ( since it seems as though most just assume things...)
Definitely guilty of assuming, and I apoologize. In my life I was both the recipient of grandparents' care as a child/teen, and their caregiver later on, so I do understand and again I am sorry.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #19
fluistulkn

I can not agree that folks were assuming things, they were going on the information that was provided... the more information given, the less "assuming" goes on.
There is still, even with the added information given, a lack of communication, at least effective communication, going on between you and your grandmother over the desire you have for the training of your dog. Get that part taken care of and the rest of the issues will go away.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:50 AM   #20
giftplas

In my grandma's house I too have to remember its her house her rules. I don't know if padlocking the crate is a good idea. What if the dog got sick or the house caught on fire?

Reply to Thread New Thread