LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 01-12-2010, 07:27 AM   #1
rozalinasi

Tegan was Trinity. I really disliked that name, but she responded very well to it. I wanted to make the transition easier and stuck to a new name that started with a 'T'.

I don't see any reason not to rename a dog if you want to.
A new start to a new life! :3

Old 01-12-2010, 07:32 AM   #2
layedgebiamma

My first APBT was named Moulder before I got him, switched it to Max. Didn't have a problem. You're free to change the name as you like anyways!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
Frdsdx26

Sometimes, ya gotta change it for your own sake! LOL. I mean, why have a dog with a name you hate? Peyton was "Muttley" at the shelter before we adopted him. MUTTLEY. Who the heck names a dog that? LOL! All of his littermates had REALLY cute names too, except him. ugh. haha.

If you're unsure if she'll respond to it, you could always revert back to teaching her her own name like you would with a puppy. I think we taught Peyton (granted, at Petsmart, but never the less it worked), we'd say his name and if he looked at me, he'd get a click-treat. If he didnt look at me when I said his name the first time, I'd do something to get his attention until he did look at me, then click-treat. Now, whenever I say his name, he looks me dead in the eyes. It's lovely. But, he also responds in the same way to several other names and phrases, LOL!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
hacyOrgachbic

My English Bulldog was Zsa Zsa (zhaw zhaw if that makes sense) when i got her.. needless to say we renamed her to Brownie.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
verybigf

Luigi was Toby with his asshole owner who "payed tons of money" for him before surrendering him because he couldn't afford to take him to the vet after how expensive he was from a "good breeder". At the shelter they named him Igor, His foster lady (who only had him a week or so) named him Titan, and now his name is Luigi but I mostly call him Lulu, probably because I really wanted a girl dog. He answeres to anything most of the time and occationally to nothing if there are sparrows or, god forbid, a motorcycle around.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
arindiruppyr

Nothing wrong with not liking a name.

Bransen was "Boss" when I got him, just a pup and didn't know his name yet though so I was lucky.

I love helping come up with names!

Fortunato means lucky in Itallian. Beato means blessed
Uhmmmm......

Fedele sounds nice, it means Loyal.

He's black and white, in many cultures that's a symbol of balance.
Saldo means balance in Italian, and sounds like a cute name.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Nidsstese

Rita was Princess when we got her at 1.5 years old. Took us about a day to figure out we hated the name, that it didn't suit her and that calling her Princess upset me because my childhood dog was Princess and saying it all the time was a constant reminder of her loss.

Took me about 2 days of feeding her a treat every time she came when called Rita to get her to answer to it reliably. She will also answer to Princess, Baby Girl, Hey, you!, Helmet Dog (because she is my disaster prone dog and shouldn't be let out without a protective helmet,lol) and pretty much anything else you want to call her so long as you are giving her love.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
G8whlTAe

Fedele sounds nice, it means Loyal.
My worry, with that suggestion, is that it would be pronounced Fe-del which sounds an awful lot like Fidel, and I doubt anyone would want to introduce their dog as THAT!

For what it's worth, MJ was originally called "Twister" on the yard papers from the guy I confiscated the dogs from. I didn't want her named that, as it may encourage crazy behavior, lol. So, watching Spiderman, MJ seemed like a decent name so, BAM, she was MJ. Murphy was going to be "Chevy" because of the chevron-looking brindle stripes on his back, but there are already WAY too many dogs named "Chevy", so I chose my favorite character of my favorite actor, Murphy MacManus, and named him Murphy, or "Murph" for short.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #9
Nidsstese

My worry, with that suggestion, is that it would be pronounced Fe-del which sounds an awful lot like Fidel, and I doubt anyone would want to introduce their dog as THAT!
Why not? So many of the bully dogs are furry lil dictators!

Old 02-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
G8whlTAe

Why not? So many of the bully dogs are furry lil dictators!
Oh yeah, SO true!!

Old 02-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #11
Qynvtlur

My English Bulldog was Zsa Zsa (zhaw zhaw if that makes sense) when i got her.. needless to say we renamed her to Brownie.
maybe she was called sawzall and tore stuff up.thats what my neighbors 5 year old kid calls his dog.He named his dog zaa zaa.After listening and watching his dad and I tear down and rebuild there back fence.I guess thats what it sounds like when you have a couple to many and use power tools.get the zaa zaa.L.O.L.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #12
Gadarett

Sasha's previous name was Tulip. Eww. She is anything but a Tulip. She was only a few weeks old so she wasn't attached to it. Honestly her name is Sasha but I call her Sissy all the time. So she comes when called to Sasha and Sissy and Sash, and Sashie. I don't think there is any harm.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #13
feseEscaple

We changed Pooh's name. I don't think the dog cares what you call them frankly. It's not like he goes and greets the other dogs..."Hi, nice to meet you my name is...". My husband said "I don't care what you name him, I'm going to call him DOG!"

Old 02-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #14
hacyOrgachbic

maybe she was called sawzall and tore stuff up.thats what my neighbors 5 year old kid calls his dog.He named his dog zaa zaa.After listening and watching his dad and I tear down and rebuild there back fence.I guess thats what it sounds like when you have a couple to many and use power tools.get the zaa zaa.L.O.L.
Never thought of that. She doesn't tear anything up though. So I couldn't use her like that. She will bring you your shoes though!

Old 02-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #15
arindiruppyr

I actually have a bossy rat who I was debating on naming Fidel or Castro when he was growing up.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #16
Wvq9InTM

I re-name all dogs when I get them. And even though most of them are rescues, they all get long "registered" names to go along with their call names. Even though the rescues aren't registered anywhere. I think it's fun to give them "real" names, too!

Old 02-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #17
Breilopmil

I realllllly like Angelo and Vanechka. Demyan, maybe.. Ooh, Valenzo's nice.

I dunno. Something more than one syllable, and something easily recognized by him. Something very easy to scream out if he happens to decide to run away from me.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:26 PM   #18
arindiruppyr

I like Vanechka.

If we get our new rescue I'm not gonna bother renaming him, he's a red Boston Terrier named Milo, good enough for me.
He's had the name for 4 years so I'm not going to bother changing it!

Old 02-13-2010, 05:36 AM   #19
Anfester

The only one I've "renamed" (so far) has been Cooper, the foster. Who knows what his name was before. Too bad people who dump dogs in the country can't attach a name tag to them so you know what they name really is.

I tried calling him every name I could think of, and no response. Finally, we were in the back yard just hanging out and he was running around getting used to everything and sniffing, then peeing, on everything, and I thought of the old TV show "Hanging with Mr. Cooper". I never really watched it, but I always liked the title, so what ever his name was, became Cooper. After about a month or two, he got used to it and now recognizes it as his name. I call him Coooopppppeeerrrrrr!!!!!! (has to be said really funky and drawn out ), he also gets called Coop, Coop miser, Coopster, Coop-Coop.... he has finally realized that he just needs to come to whatever the weird lady calls him.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #20
swissloveone

The only dog I ever renamed was Frannie. No clue what her name was cuz i found her in the park across the street from the hospital where i work. St Francis.. TEEHEE.
She responded just fine to it.
Sox responds to anything I call him. BOBO,BUBBA, SOCKY, ROCKITY SOCKITY.. he is such a dork.

Reply to Thread New Thread