LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 11-29-2010, 01:54 AM   #1
Caursedus

Default Worst ever please help !!!!!!!!!!
So who do you got to when the people who are supposed to be looking out for the animals, are hurting them.As some of you know my wife recently started working for a local SPCA.Well this is such a horribly ran shelter it is unbelievable.There are several dogs who stay in kennels that have raw sewage backing up into there kennels.There are dogs there in desperate need of vet care but are not getting it.They just flat out refuse to take these dogs to a vet.Speaking with some who have been there for a few years there is good reason to believe that the director and her boyfriend are skimming money from the place.there was a dog fight last week and one dog was badly hurt they waited five hours before seeking medical attention .At first they weren't going to but another employee called a board member and the manager showed back to take the dog in to a vet.Before that my wife called our vet to see if there was something she could do because she felt so bad for the dog.He gave her some advice and when she told him were she was he said that they used to work with that shelter but would never again.So apparently this womans reputation isn't very good.They have no heat in below freezing temps.There is a freezer that holds the animals that have died until they can go get them cremated however there is cinder blocks that hold the top down on it.Thats the good news there are two more freezers that do not work and haven't since last february that are full of dead animals rotting in a barn out back.
Thats just how she treats the animals she treats her employees worse.Many of them don't want to leave because they are trying to stay to help the animals anyway they can.

So who do you tell when these guys are the local dog control officers these are the people who take away others peoples dogs for doing the very things they themselves are doing.We have tried to contact a few places congress woman.She has taken pictures of alot of what is going on so i guess are next move is to go to the press anyone have any other thoughts.Oh yeah we live in new york if that helps

Old 11-29-2010, 02:06 AM   #2
JediReturns84

Call the news.

Although media can suck balls sometimes, other times, when you want to shed light on a bad situation, the news stations will cover it, thus forcing elected officials to do something about it because they don't want bad press with their names on it.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:24 AM   #3
Caursedus

that is what i was thinking since we already contacted the congress womans office last week.So as we all know politicians hate bad press in there district especially if they have already been contacted so i suppose if we call back and tell them that we are going to the press they will surely act .

Old 11-29-2010, 03:03 AM   #4
michael247

The news is a great answer.
Can you get in touch with your Mayor?

Old 11-29-2010, 03:10 AM   #5
DenisLevvin

Good thing they SAVED all them dogs.

Hope all the people who were chiming in on the adopt or don't adopt dogs the other day read this thread.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:16 AM   #6
MatueHarton

I am not sure what you can do honestly if they are that bad I would not want to work there at all. Surely she can get a job with animals somewhere else?

Old 11-29-2010, 03:25 AM   #7
JediReturns84

Good thing they SAVED all them dogs.

Hope all the people who were chiming in on the adopt or don't adopt dogs the other day read this thread.
The problem is that not all places are like this. If the facility was ran better, then the dogs wouldn't be in a bad situation. There are good shelters, and bad, just like there are good breeders, and bad.

There is no one solution for everybody. Continuing to bring it up as if "this is the be all, end all" doesn't really make any sense or change the situation at hand.

Sure, some people will adopt, and find great companion dogs. Other people will find a breeder and get a great show dog. Still others will go to a BYB or a pet store and still could get good dogs, albeit with health issues (although some may get lucky, and get a decently healthy pup).

We'll never know and nothing will ever change it. Shelters will always exist and so will breeders, it's better to try and live in harmony then try and always fight and pick sides. Where you get a dog really depends on what your uses for it will be.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:35 AM   #8
engacenus

I am not sure what you can do honestly if they are that bad I would not want to work there at all. Surely she can get a job with animals somewhere else?
But if she just throws her hands up, disgusted, and leaves who will stick around and make sure the animals get better?

I agree with the above suggestions.. I don't like media a lot of the time, but they could make a heck of a story about this and make a difference..

Old 11-29-2010, 03:48 AM   #9
MatueHarton

I didn't mean she should leave...

I am just saying if I worked at a shelter like that it would be hard but I would stay for the animals to make sure they get the care they need.

If it's been bad so long, I feel bad for those animals and I hope the news would help get something going to shut them down and the animals getting the care they need. Very sad that this has been going on for so long.

I think the health department needs to be called as well if sewage is going in those dogs' kennels and so many deceased animals being there for so long.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:55 AM   #10
engacenus

Oh, okay - I was thinking I might have misunderstood you..

I second calling health departments.. that IS a health risk for the humans involved.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:56 AM   #11
capeAngedlelp

In the case ofthe sewage, she can also file a complaint with OSHA.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:36 AM   #12
SteantyjetMaw

MN Dog Training, Minnesota Dog Daycare, MN Dog Daycare, Otsego Dog Trainer :: DOGUE SPOT

Investigators: Too Rough?

Perfect example of what the news channels can offer...this training center, staff were concerned and someone contacted the news...the news channel actually did an investigation to uncover the truth, got some good evidence and now the state knows!!!

Old 11-29-2010, 05:02 AM   #13
Fainnamoony

Thank you for all your suggestions....I am the wife that he is speaking about....

Let me just start by saying, I love these animals, I have always leaned more towards pit bull breeds, but breed doesn't matter to me, I want every last one of those animals to find a home. Every night I come home and look at my three dogs lounging on the couch and I think about those poor dogs sitting in the dark with no people to pet them, or love them. It's not about money for me, and I will stay on as a volunteer as I try to get the president of the board removed.

My husband talked about the dog fight last Wednesday, yes a pit bull mix named Hank jumped the play yard fence and at some point got into a fight with a hound mix named Jax, when I found them, Hank had climbed BACK over to his own play yard and Jax was beat up more than Hank. But honestly I do not think Hank was the aggressive dog, if he was why would he jump back into his play yard? why wouldn't he just stay and finish Jax off? Not only that but I have tried to pair Jax up with other dogs in the past and he has always been the aggressor. Well finally 5 hours later Jax got to go to a vet, he had 56 bite wounds and may lose a leg. I am glad Jax went to a vet, in my opinion he was in shock and needed it. But almost immediately Hanks face swelled up and has been like that since yesterday, they have him on two different meds, one for pain and one for inflammation, but since he did more damage to the other dog, he doesn't get to see a vet.

Another dog Shane has been throwing up about 5 times a day for 3 weeks, he still hasn't seen a vet, they have him on a medicine called metro, which I am told is for diarieha (sp?).

Also it is supposed to be a strictly no kill shelter...well three weeks ago a boxer mix was spayed 4 days before she was to give birth, then she got an infection in her incision area, but never went to a vet.

at least 12 kennels has drains that do not drain properly and some have sewage backing up into the kennels, Saturday morning when I went to work, one dog had sewage frozen in the bottom of her kennel, because it gets so cold in there at night, most of the blowers for the furnace do not work.

This shelter contracts with about 15 different towns, the local dog wardens will catch animals that are running at large, if they are not claimed within 5 days they come to our shelter. But this shelter only has about 70 kennels and at the current day they have about 150 dogs....so where do they put them you ask? cages, we have dogs in cages for days/weeks.

We have dog aggressive dogs, food aggressive dogs, and people aggressive dogs, we have ferl cats sitting in cages, that do bite I will tell you from experience, and the bottom line is more animals than we can handle, and they keep coming.

Recently we where inspected by the Ag& market department and failed because of MANY building violations....so why doesn't anything happen????

I don't really want to talk about the rotting animals, but I will say before the weather turned cold and was still warm out, the smell wafting into the shelter was the most disgusting thing I have ever smelled, so not only do these animals have to live in these conditions but they get to smell the rotting bodies of their kennel mates...

Yes I could go and get a job somewhere else I do not travel 60 miles a day for minimum wage, and work 10-12 hours per day only getting paid for 8 for monetary reasons. What kind of human being would I be/ responsible animal lover if I just walked away and allowed these animals to suffer in the hands of the people who are suppoused to care for them? If it was you or I allowing our animals to live like these we would be charged with animal cruelty.

Friday night I lost my temper and told the president what I thought of her and how she runs that shelter, she fired me, which is fine I will still volunteer and make sure the dogs are getting loved on at least. Last Monday I contacted my legislators office and wrote a letter as advised, and I have MANY pictures to back up every claim I make. I will call again tomorrow if I get no results from her office, I will begin contacting the media.

I have also opened a case with the department of labor because she treats her employees just as bad. But it's not about the money, really I am just trying to keep her busy thinking I care about money, so she will be distracted while I deal with contacting everyone I can about the animals.

My only regret is that I shot my mouth off, and now I worry if there is going to be anyone to clean my kennels on Tuesday and spend time with my dogs....

Old 11-29-2010, 05:38 AM   #14
adultcomicssitedessaa

Boogieman this is exactly the reason why people need to adopt. To get these dogs out of bad situations.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #15
Shemker394

Boogieman this is exactly the reason why people need to adopt. To get these dogs out of bad situations.
I know damn skippy that I wouldn't bring a pet coming from that kind of place into my home. HA/FA? Feral? No, thanks. This does not illustrate why people should adopt. It illustrates why shelters need to be held more accountable and why no kill shelters are a bad idea. The unhealthy and the dogs that are HA or otherwise temperamentally unsound should have been euthed upon evaluation.

Yes, go to the media and mae a huge stink. Don't quit until something changes. And pray none of tho unstable dogs end up in a home with children.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #16
Fainnamoony

I know damn skippy that I wouldn't bring a pet coming from that kind of place into my home. HA/FA? Feral? No, thanks. This does not illustrate why people should adopt. It illustrates why shelters need to be held more accountable and why no kill shelters are a bad idea. The unhealthy and the dogs that are HA or otherwise temperamentally unsound should have been euthed upon evaluation.

Yes, go to the media and mae a huge stink. Don't quit until something changes. And pray none of tho unstable dogs end up in a home with children.
I almost completely agree with you, but I think the real problem there is no one is evaluating these dogs. one dog tried to attack me when I feed him, thats how we found out he was food aggressive...these dogs sit in kennels all day long, they are stressed out and lonely. Some dogs even chew the ends of there tails from the stress and boredom.

Please don't let this make you NOT adopt a shelter dog, they need you the most, but I do agree that shelters need to be held more accountable. And the people that run them need to be able to have a level head and be able to make the best choice for animal.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #17
JediReturns84

I'd hazard to say that shelters like this have a pretty low adoption rate, anyway, as they probably only keep a dog for very short time before deciding to put it down. And by the sounds of it, they don't exactly go around town having fundraisers or otherwise encouraging people to come to their facility and adopt a dog. To me, it doesn't even sound like the general public ever shows up there, at all.

I think this demonstrates the biggest picture at large - irresponsible people. Not just with BYB or whatever, but with large corporations becoming greedy nazi fuck's and stealing money and letting animals die because they just don't care.

Either way, the media is the best way to go, and filing complaints with every possible department in the city.

Reply to Thread New Thread