LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 11-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
hygtfrdes

Default How do YOU deal with the cold?
I live in northern British Columbia, so the winters here get quite cold with pretty deep snow.
I am thinking Bransen is going to need shoes and a jacket this year, 15 minutes outside and his feet are icicles!

He was full of energy last night so I took him out for a run, and when we reached the open field near the river (we go there lots) I let him off his leash to run free for a while. He was running around all crazy as usual, looking for one of the foxes that lives in the field, having a good time.
Then he started to slow down a bit and stopped, he looked at me all pitiful and started holding his paws up one at a time.
I don't blame him, his paws were frozen!

It's not easy like when he was little and I could just pick him up and carry him home or until his feet were warm. I can pick him up, but there's no way I could lug 100 lbs of squirming dog all the way home through the snow!

He gets so restless inside, but he can't be outside very long at all because it is too cold. I play with him indoors but it is just not the same.

On top of this, his chain spot is out of commission until spring because the snow is way too deep for it!

Ugh!

How do you guys deal with the cold?

Old 11-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #2
Lapsiks

Winter is not that bad over here in NYC....but it can.im gonna get some booties&coat for Deisel its his first winter!

Old 11-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
capeAngedlelp

Bark'n Boots Polar Trex Winter Boots for Dogs

I just bought 2 of the Grip Trex boots, and I am amazed by the quality. I've been through a lot of boots, but Ruff Wear takes the cake.
Strap on the boots and a warm coat and he should be ready to go!

Old 11-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
hygtfrdes

Aw, I hope Deisel enjoys his first winter!
Bransen was born in the winter, so spring was a surprise to him.

Thanks so much, LillianaLove (I have forgotten your real name! how embarrassing!)
I have been looking everywhere for good quality boots!

He has a jacket that I made for him, to fit him just right!

Old 11-20-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
mireOpekrhype

It's never that cold in Florida, but it can get down to the high 20s sometimes (I am far north). So the dogs are usually fine outside, but I put a sweater on Bowser when it gets below 30 because he has no hair.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:12 PM   #6
hygtfrdes

Ahh, lucky!

Old 11-20-2010, 11:26 PM   #7
SoftrermaBioniaSat

I live in San Diego. What cold?

Old 11-21-2010, 12:07 AM   #8
hygtfrdes

GAH! Don't make me come over there!

Old 11-21-2010, 12:11 AM   #9
Cyclicymn

I don't put boots on them, but the short haired dogs get coats on.

That's about it, lol.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:17 AM   #10
hygtfrdes

Yourr dogs too cool for boots, Lib?

Old 11-21-2010, 12:24 AM   #11
15Praxanant

I live in WI and today it was a heat wave at 29 degrees. Pinky will be wearing a coat outside this winter because she has made it very clear its already too cold outside and has to be forced out. I know the XL Zack and Zoey stuff fits her very well and she's about 50 lbs.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:32 AM   #12
Cyclicymn

Yourr dogs too cool for boots, Lib?
LOL yeah right! If I thought there was a need, you KNOW I'd be humiliating them with pink sparkly boots at the first opportunity!

Old 11-21-2010, 12:58 AM   #13
theatadug

I hate the cold and Veronica doesn't seem to be all the fond of it either.

She has a fidofleece for dry cold weather and a "Doggie safe n dry" for colder or cold/wet weather and we just bought her her first pair of muttluks.

We are as prepared as we will ever be.

I also got myself a pair of the gloves with the fingers cut off so I can stay warm and still juggle the whole clicker & treat thing.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

I just realized Muttluks is making a snowsuit...for serious cold weather outings...

Old 11-21-2010, 01:10 AM   #14
Seesspoxy

I make Lucy deal with it.

But, having a Saint Bernard who spends 12-18 hours a day outside tearing ass in the snow (the only 3 months of the year where she can actually do, well, anything, so she makes the most of it) makes it really easy for Lucy to forget how cold it is. Until she stops running around with Ethel that is and comes to the door to wail and shiver so I can let her in and wrap her in a blanket.

I might get her a coat. But I've been saying that for the past 2 years, and still haven't gotten one for her.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:46 AM   #15
hhynmtrxcp

Nos is really the only one who gets really cold. The other three bound out in the snow like it's a jolly good time. Nos hates the cold, he is a big sissy even when it rains. He is the only one who gets a jacket.

I live in the so called "ice Box of the nation" so it gets below -20 most of the winter. I just bundle up and drag everyone outside...it's sucks but ya gotta do what ya gotta do when you can't build a yard

Old 11-21-2010, 02:57 AM   #16
capeAngedlelp

I'm looking into this jacket:
PetEdge: Casual Canine Snowsuits

Old 11-21-2010, 03:31 AM   #17
2CNWXAqN

I live in northern British Columbia, so the winters here get quite cold with pretty deep snow.
I am thinking Bransen is going to need shoes and a jacket this year, 15 minutes outside and his feet are icicles!

He was full of energy last night so I took him out for a run, and when we reached the open field near the river (we go there lots) I let him off his leash to run free for a while. He was running around all crazy as usual, looking for one of the foxes that lives in the field, having a good time.
Then he started to slow down a bit and stopped, he looked at me all pitiful and started holding his paws up one at a time.
I don't blame him, his paws were frozen!

It's not easy like when he was little and I could just pick him up and carry him home or until his feet were warm. I can pick him up, but there's no way I could lug 100 lbs of squirming dog all the way home through the snow!

He gets so restless inside, but he can't be outside very long at all because it is too cold. I play with him indoors but it is just not the same.

On top of this, his chain spot is out of commission until spring because the snow is way too deep for it!

Ugh!

How do you guys deal with the cold?
is it really cold over there?
It doesnt even seem like our winter has started yet. Days are hot when the sun is up,and it gets cool at nighttime. I don't think this winter is going to be tough for us.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:38 AM   #18
capeAngedlelp

is it really cold over there?
It doesnt even seem like our winter has started yet. Days are hot when the sun is up,and it gets cool at nighttime. I don't think this winter is going to be tough for us.
British Columbia is in canada, that's about 3000mi NW of DC. I would imagine it would be much colder there.
But today was g-damn gorgeous!! It was 60 degrees, and a perfect day to go biking. It was definitely appreciated.
Any winter would be better than last winter.....

Old 11-21-2010, 03:41 AM   #19
2CNWXAqN

British Columbia is in canada, that's about 3000mi NW of DC. I would imagine it would be much colder there.
But today was g-damn gorgeous!! It was 60 degrees, and a perfect day to go biking. It was definitely appreciated.
Any winter would be better than last winter.....
o yea,your in bmore?? the snow right. omg,i HOPE it doesnt hit us again in the early months of the year. or even december..that would suck ass.i might have to go down south,messed my transmission up and some more bs

Old 11-21-2010, 05:18 AM   #20
altosburg

Winter is not that bad over here in NYC....but it can.im gonna get some booties&coat for Deisel its his first winter!
The snow doesn't even stick on the ground and if it does people over there will find a way to make it dissapere. If you want snow in NY come to S.U. It can get ugly over here.

Reply to Thread New Thread