LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 11-23-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
spravka.ua

Default How do people keep their dogs outside all of the time?
As many of you know I spent all last summer outside with Des and Ty, well those damn dogs like to be outside so much I just left them out there for the past 6 months or so, but they kept getting bites, not sure what it was, bu Tyson just got his bath (I only bathe them every 6 months or so now) and I noticed some things, a sore on his left hind leg which is a bit raised and a bite on his butt, how in the world can I keep this from happening? I bought all of the stuff from Tractor Supply for the flies and gnats and that didn't work either.

Foot:

Butt:

Old 11-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
JediReturns84

Pictures aren't loading

Old 11-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
Styparty

Hi,

Cinnemon was an outside dog while she was alive. Of the four labs. She was the only one that had problems with getting bites. The others would get bit by mosquitos and flys but nothing major, but the flys would eat her ears up raw.

My Dad used a concoction of on them that actually helped a lot. If you want I can ask him what it was. I think he used hydrogen peroxide to clean the ears (wounds) and vinegar to keep the flys away. But I'm not sure. If you want I'll check with him to find out exactly what it was. He wished he had known about it sooner because the last 3 years of her life were easier than the first 10 when it came to flys and bugs.

Honestly I don't think there is a way to prevent it, just manage it. When you have outside dogs, you have to deal with outside pests as well.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
spravka.ua

Yea I just didn't know if there was something I could put in his food, or make something to spray on him to help, here are the pics

Old 11-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
spacecrafty

The one on the leg looks like a callous from laying down a lot. Does he lay down on concrete? Maybe you could give him bedding(think horse bedding) to help the bed sores or a softer substance to lay on. Horses get them too so we usually put down more sawdust and apply wound spray to keep the infection down, but Tyson's aren't open so that doesn't apply. If the TS stuff is horse fly spray..? that usually has to be sprayed daily.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
spravka.ua

Yea I tried that and all of the others they had, and the second I stopped spraying they were still swarming him, and no he was outside in the grass that is why I don't get it.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
Cyclicymn

I had some serious issues with flies over the summer. Mexi, Umah, and Hoss were left out in kennels/on chain spots when I was at work during the day, and the flies would just chew Mexi and Hoss' ears up.

I found a paste, called 'Flies Off' or 'Flies Away' (I can't remember the exact name, I'll have to go dig out the jar) and it worked wonders. It would last all day from the time I applied it in the mornings around 7am, until I got home anywhere around 1pm to 6pm. The only downside to that stuff is it is very gunky and you have to wash the area a few times to get it all out when you bathe the dogs, lol!

Old 11-24-2010, 12:52 AM   #8
spravka.ua

Sounds like Nu Stock!!! lol let me know the name, thanks girl

Old 11-24-2010, 01:02 AM   #9
Cyclicymn

Ok, its called "Flies off".

They make sprays too, but I've only ever used the paste. It was $11 at the feed store.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:43 AM   #10
spravka.ua

Oh yea I have tried the spray, didn't work on Ty, but it did for Des, I think it is his fur, maybe it just doesn't stick I have no clue but it takes me 30 minutes longer to bathe him than the 10 minutes it did Des, the water wont get his fur wet for some reason unless you basically rub it in.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:54 AM   #11
acceraStoof

Ok, its called "Flies off".

They make sprays too, but I've only ever used the paste. It was $11 at the feed store.

i have used the aersoal can one but that doesnt work too well for use my dogs still get fly bites

Old 11-24-2010, 02:05 AM   #12
Cyclicymn

I've never used that particular spray, but every other type of spray I've used hasn't worked. It works while its wet, but as soon as its dry, the flies are back.

The paste worked wonders, Hoss had the short pit bull type fur, and Mexi has fuzzy lab type fur.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:40 AM   #13
zoppereurvito

For our horses, the ONLY three fly sprays that we found that worked were Farnam Tri-Tec 14, Endure (sweat resistant, doesn't make a difference for dogs though since they can't sweat) and Pyranha (comes in a yellow bottle).

Anything like Bronco fly spray etc is garbage, does not work. To keep flies away from eyes, ears, wounds etc you can use a product called SWAT. Comes in nifty colors and works AWESOME.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:44 AM   #14
Cyclicymn

I tried Pyranha and it only worked for a couple hours. We have evil little biting gnats here and they are just that--evil.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:19 AM   #15
drlifeech

Apparently putting garlic oil capsules in the food helps a lot with fleas & bugs. I use a witchdoctors remedy of fresh rosemary, lavender & ti tree oil blended with vodka. I put a spoon or two into some water & wash the dog down with it. No fleas or bugs but it has to be done fairly often. Works on head lice too. It has the side effect of making my dog smell like a hippie.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:23 PM   #16
hygtfrdes

Teatree oil works alright as a repelant.
You can make it into a spay by mixing it with a bit of water in a spray bottle, or just rub it all over.

You could also try Veteracyn, spray it on the bites to help heal them up and prevent infection.

Reply to Thread New Thread