LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 11-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
rozneesitcn

Default Which breed best for guarding?
Im curious. If you had to choose from the following breeds of dogs for guard work, which would you choose and why.

Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alapaha_Blue_Blood_Bulldog

Dogo Argentino
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogo_Argentino

Presa Canario
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perro_de_Presa_Canario

Cane Corso
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_Corso

Canis Panther
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/canispanther.htm

Old 11-19-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
allachakb

The Cane Corso, hands down.

The CC was always bred for guardian work, unlike most of those breeds.
While the Canis Panther is also bred for this, they are much more new and in turn less stable as a breed, if you know what I mean.
That, and most CCs have an appearence and bark that would scare the pants off you!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
JediReturns84

That, and most CCs have an appearence and bark that would scare the pants off you!
I think they're kind of cute... LOL Is that weird?

Old 11-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
Lapsiks

Ive always liked the Dogo...but for some reason my evil twin is saying
Blue Blood Bulldog

Old 11-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #5
tyclislavaify

The Cane Corso, hands down.

The CC was always bred for guardian work, unlike most of those breeds.
While the Canis Panther is also bred for this, they are much more new and in turn less stable as a breed, if you know what I mean.
Most Cane Corsos walking around now days are designer dogs. They were actually bred to work cattle, catch cattle, hunt and watch the property. American line Corsos for the most part have been known to be quite unstable not all however but there are very noticiable differences in Italian lines which has a great influence of Boxers, while the American lines have an influence of Rottweilers.

I agree that a Corso could be an excellent guarding if the parents and the pup is tested. As far as appearance alone the dog could be a dog deterrent of intruders.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

I think when it comes down to breeds which I have been learning a lot on a protection dog forum and being around Presa, Corso, American Bulldog it really comes down to the breeding and the nerves of the pup. They all tell me unless the parents and the pup is tested you will never know if it will work as a guardian and really protect you in case of danger.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #6
allachakb

Yeah I knew some that, thanks for the info, David!

I think they're kind of cute... LOL Is that weird?
Me too!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
CorpoRasion

A Dogue de bordeaux

I guess there would be many factors that would go in to which one of those I would choose. I always like the presa canario though

Old 11-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #8
tyclislavaify

Yeah I knew some that, thanks for the info, David!

Me too!
Just sharing what I am learning from everyone else sir an online buddy of mine from another forum has a 80 pound corso that was bred of corsos working a pig farm in Sicily quite a beautiful specimen nothing like the ones we see in the U.S. he tells me the dog can run 5 miles in 80 degree weather then cool down for about 10-15 mins and the dog is ready to go again.

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

A Dogue de bordeaux

I guess there would be many factors that would go in to which one of those I would choose. I always like the presa canario though
I believe the Dogue is older than all of these breeds I heard great things about them.

I think a lot of these breeds were recreated and many breeders try to use mythology to sell their pups. I

Old 11-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
engacenus

For actual GUARDING, it depends on the individual dog.. Presa were fighting dogs from what I know.. So not bred to guard. I've known Dogo's to be excellent watch dogs, but more protective of owners than their property and are more of a hunting dog than a guard animal. Cane Corso's are also not bred to guard. Canis's are a pretty new breed and are not stable as a breed right now.. The Alapaha is the only dog who is bred for protection and guarding there. So I would pick the Blue Blood Bulldog... Pick a dog who is bred for the task you want.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #10
tyclislavaify

For actual GUARDING, it depends on the individual dog.. Presa were fighting dogs from what I know.. So not bred to guard. I've known Dogo's to be excellent watch dogs, but more protective of owners than their property and are more of a hunting dog than a guard animal. Cane Corso's are also not bred to guard. Canis's are a pretty new breed and are not stable as a breed right now.. The Alapaha is the only dog who is bred for protection and guarding there. So I would pick the Blue Blood Bulldog... Pick a dog who is bred for the task you want.
From all the reading done in Euro sites and literature from Spain the Presa was a working farm dog used to catch and work cattle. The only started fighting the dogs until later, and these fights were nothing like the 3 hr gamedog matches lol There is some excellent specimens that I have seen from Germany and the UK. Some in the US get called Dogo Canario which is basically the watered down version of the real working bulldog used for show.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #11
BrianGoldsmith

South African Borboel is my favorite guarding Breed!!!

Boerboel (South African Boerboel, South African Mastiff)

Old 11-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #12
tyclislavaify

The BB specimen straight from South Africa are amazing I love those dogs too.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #13
affozyBoomi

No question, the English Mastiff.

One of the best guardian breeds alive, been around for centuries doing guard work. Very low maintanence dogs too. They lounge around all day conserving energy until its work time, and when its time to work, look out ! 200+ lbs of pure man stopping dog.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #14
tyclislavaify

No question, the English Mastiff.

One of the best guardian breeds alive, been around for centuries doing guard work. Very low maintanence dogs too. They lounge around all day conserving energy until its work time, and when its time to work, look out ! 200+ lbs of pure man stopping dog.
I highly doubt show lines have anything left of the real dog. Chimera Kennels uses real performance English Mastiffs in their breeding program so those are very scary dogs

Old 11-19-2010, 10:30 PM   #15
rozneesitcn

Yes, totally slipped my mind since I was going through all those images on google. Dogue de Bordeaux, South African Boerbel, English and Neapolitan mastiffs.

I LOVE BIG Bully/Mastiff-type dogs. The Great Dane. Guard dogs of this kind.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:32 PM   #16
Gakeincidoniac

Easy. Presa Canario. I've always loved the Canary dog.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #17
affozyBoomi

I highly doubt show lines have anything left of the real dog. Chimera Kennels uses real performance English Mastiffs in their breeding program so those are very scary dogs
The picture is just a picture pulled from the net for refference. Believe me, if I want a working Mastiff, I know right where to go to acquire one.

I have a friend up in NH that periodically breeds them. His dogs are huge and guard quite nicely. His yard is one of the last yards I would want to be poking around in while no one is home. His male tips the scales at around 250+lbs, that is one big ass dog that would stop any man dead in thier tracks.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #18
altosburg

I heard that the Thai ridgebacks are very protective but I don't know too much about them. If I was to choose it would be the Cane Corso.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:39 PM   #19
Lapsiks

I heard that the Thai ridgebacks are very protective but I don't know too much about them. If I was to choose it would be the Cane Corso.
That dog looks crazy!!!

Old 11-19-2010, 10:41 PM   #20
rozneesitcn

I've also heard Chimera Kennels have some excellent bandogs.

Reply to Thread New Thread