LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 11-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
Chooriwrocaey

Default Broke up a dogfight just now...
Well, this morning has gotten off to quite an interesting start. The owner of the home (who lives in the part that I don't occupy) had her 4 dogs out in the fenced portion of the yard. She owns a very old APBT/Greyhound mix, a "Puggle", a blue APBT mix (definately not heavy enough bone for an Am Bully), and an old small Shar Pei mix. I was awoken by hysterical human and dog screaming, so I threw on a sweater and ran outside, breakstick in hand.
The APBT X was fastened onto the old Shar Pei X, while the homeowner was swatting her in the head and trying to pull them apart and her son was yelling obsceneties at the dogs. I yelled at her to lock her legs around the Shar Pei X's stomach in front of the hips and to hold her collar, as I opened the fence and ran in. I locked my legs around the APBT X, stretched her out a bit, grabbed her collar, and used my breakstick to open her jaws to release the Shar Pei X. In typical APBT fashion, she wagged her tail and wiggled around trying to lick me. The Shar Pei X was almost pulling the woman down trying to go after the APBT X, and snapped at her a few times.
After getting the dogs separated (Shar PeiX in a crate, APBTX inside house), I asked what happened. She told me the Shar Pei X was chewing a stick, the APBT X walked by her, and the Shar Pei X attacked the APBT X. Obviously, the APBT X got a good hold on the smaller dog, and the homeowner had absolutely no clue how to break them up, and her son was walking around just yelling at the dogs to "let go" and "stop it" with various cuss words thrown in for good measure.
I gave her the breakstick, since I have one in my car, and showed her how to use it on the APBT X. I told her NOT to use it on any of the other dogs (the APBT/Greyhound mix has the Greyhound muzzle on an APBT head, the poor strange thing), and to always have another person actually help her separate the dogs.
She thanked me numerous times, and told me if I hear anything inside the house while she is at work, to just bust out one of the windows. I don't think I would hear a dogfight inside her house, but I assured her if I DID hear anything, I would do what I could to separate the dogs and notify her.
NOT the way I wanted to start my morning, but better than than a dead dog in the yard.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
Binuilienzync

at least this is a good example of how a properly educated APBT owner knows how to handle these situations. I say, good for you. I'm glad to hear that you were there and that none of the dogs were killed.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
CamVideoQl

that was awful nice of you to give and show her how to use the break stick.. a bad situation turned out ok.. but it could have been much worse.. good thing you heard them..

Old 11-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
WertyNtont

This is why more people need to research any dogs before they get them! This was 100% preventable, if their owner wanted it to be. I'm glad you knew what to do.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
Chooriwrocaey

The APBT X was on death row at the shelter, she had been turned loose by her former owners, and was still wearing a collar when she was picked up. The homeowner's bleeding heart went out to her, she is a terribly sweet dog, so she adopted her.
I printed out the "Always Expect A Bulldog to Fight" sticky, and gave it to her to read on her lunch break at work. She crated both dogs, as per my advice, while she is at work and says that she will continue to keep them separated when she is not there or does not have 100% of her attention on the dogs. She's an ignorant owner, on the "if you raise them right..." kick. She is coming over today after work for a crash course on bully breed ownership. Its just too bad it had to come to this.
I hate to be selfish in this situation, but hopefully this will help me out if I'm ever a little short on rent when its due.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
Binuilienzync

At least she's willing to listen to your advice and is willing to educate herself. It could be worse: she could totally be rude, arrogant and completely ignore you and what you have to say about owning a bully, thus probably resulting in the death of one of her dogs.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
engacenus

At least she's willing to listen to your advice and is willing to educate herself. It could be worse: she could totally be rude, arrogant and completely ignore you and what you have to say about owning a bully, thus probably resulting in the death of one of her dogs.
This is a big thing, too.. as 90% of people won't, because they already know everything (like my neighbor who just inherited an ADBA male APBT and leaves him alone with their little male yorkie despite my warnings).. it's a very good thing you were there. Good on you for helping her and the dogs.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
Rqqneujr

Good Job to you!!!
That's so great you were there and were able to act, just out of bed too. When I wake up you could be sawing off my leg and it'd take me five minutes to react
I'm glad the woman is willing to learn and hopefully make sure nothing like this happens again or if it does she'll know what to do. What about her son? He should also learn how to be of assistant, with four dogs things could get ugly. Good Job on keeping your head and good luck with educating her

Old 11-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
baronaaba

i believe in both. if you raise your pup properly, lots of socializing, etc it will help prevent situations. however you also have to respect the breeds history and what they can do if something were to happen and live around that. i mean yes accidents will happen but if raised correctly it does help prevent. good for you helping her and being there!

Old 11-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
Foucceedo

Talking about breaksticks I need one and taught how to use it if stars jaw is set up to handle it. I didn't know that they were meant just for apbt but I know my friend is trying to get a bulldog of some sort and when I come home I need to watch them carefully. He said he used to raise put bulls and used an axe handle or something to jab in the side of their jaw to make them release.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #11
klnbgqr

Good job!
Man, she is so lcuky that you were there and not rocking out to your Ipod or something.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #12
Dstyeglm

I am glad you were there to help out! Hopefully she reads the sticky you printed out for her and she properly contain her dogs when she leaves so they don't get in a fight again.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:02 AM   #13
gregmcal

i wanna see a picture of the pit bull greyhound mix that is just a odd mixture

good job on breaking up the fight

Old 12-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #14
Chooriwrocaey

i believe in both. if you raise your pup properly, lots of socializing, etc it will help prevent situations. however you also have to respect the breeds history and what they can do if something were to happen and live around that. i mean yes accidents will happen but if raised correctly it does help prevent. good for you helping her and being there!
You can socialize all you want, but owning a bully breed means the owner should be acting responsibly and never allowing a situation to arise in which a fight can ensue. Sure, my APBT MJ may be fine with Murphy and Rio while I am home, but if I walk outside to get something out of the car, everyone is crated or comes with me.
The way I see it, trying to prevent a dog fight with an APBT by "raising properly" is kind of the same as taking a safe driving course to try to prevent getting into an accident. Sure, it may seem to help, but if that is all you depend on, someone can still hit you in the ass.

When you own an APBT, fighting goes hand in hand, whether you believe it is right or not. Same as herding goes hand in hand with owning a German Shepherd Dog, whether you practice it/like it or not. To own a breed and claim to embrace it, and then turn around to deny/ignore/bash it's original purpose, is to deny/ignore/bash the breed. And, in my opinion, THAT is plain stupid.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #15
paydayus

Every time someone makes a post like this there is something to be learned from it either by the regulars, the lurkers or the newbies to the breed. This kind of post shows that fights can and do happen, helps explain what to do and may even prevent someone from experiencing a catastrophic fight because it brings home to the reader that accidents can happen any time even among dogs who get along.

If one dog owner reads the OP's post and decides to be more cautious with their dogs or buy and learn to use a break stick then maybe a dogs life was saved.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #16
baronaaba

dont get me wrong, im not dismissing the truth about but if you raise one properly then raise another chained, beat, never socialized etc. one will be more aggressive than the other. so all i was saying is it does help to a point. if you believe both examples would be t
e same with aggression than i respectively disagree

Old 12-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #17
Sdinozes

The Greyhound/APBT mix is called a "Lurcher" in Europe...kewl dogs.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #18
engacenus

I'd also like to see a picture of that GH/bulldog.. I've seen the mix before, but you make it sound funny looking.. I'm just trying to imagine a bulldog head with a Grey's nose..

Old 12-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #19
Narkeere

Being a totally inexperienced owner, I found this posting very educational. I hadn't read about locking legs around the dogs before. That sounds like a useful technique. I hope never to have to use it. I also find it to be a great reminder when folks share real-life experiences as they occur -- that I should never forget that it could happen.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #20
BeksTeene

The Greyhound/APBT mix is called a "Lurcher" in Europe...kewl dogs.

I definitely see both breeds in those, its odd but not. Like kind of cute but ugly at the same time.

As for the Op right, place at the right time. We have all been is situations where we wish we had someone in the right place at the right time and actually knew what they were doing to help.

I've never used the legs around the hips technique though. But I like it,...that way your hands are still free.

Reply to Thread New Thread