LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
johnuioyer

Default Problem Knees
Hey, I just had my dog in for knee surgery. I had to have both knee caps put back wear they belong. They kept coming out of the joint. I have had pits in the past and never had any problems with them. I know that they are prone to hip problems. But are bad knees a problem too or is it just my dog.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
mikaelluioy

Yes they can have knee and joint problems. Let me get you some info. Be right back

Old 10-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
espabamar

Hey, I just had my dog in for knee surgery. I had to have both knee caps put back wear they belong. They kept coming out of the joint. I have had pits in the past and never had any problems with them. I know that they are prone to hip problems. But are bad knees a problem too or is it just my dog.
I HAVE heard of hip and cruciate problems in Pit Bulls and Am Stafs -- fairly common, actually.

But not KNEES so much. But, with the rampant breeding going on, I'm not surprised to see continued orthopedic problems.

A dog CAN be checked for patellar problems (it's just a joint manipulation) and this should probably be done whenever one is sedated for a hip x-ray.

Carla

Old 10-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
Hlennisal

What did your vet charge per knee?

Old 10-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #5
mikaelluioy

It sounds like your dog had a Luxating Patella. Does that sound familiar at all?

Many breeds can have this problem not just APBTs. And with more and more irresponsible bad breeding, you are going to see more and more of this.

Now sure how reliable this info is but it gives a good diagram if anything.

http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/patella.htm

Some things you can do to help your dog. Manage your dogs weight, don't let your dog become overweight. That can make the joint problems worse and more painful. Warm your dog up before exercise. Basically don't just jump into vigorous exercise with warming up.

These things can help.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
xquFzpNw

My old girl had a luxating patella. But she also had a mess of other health problems including disc disease, hip dysplasia, and Inflammed Colon Disease, amongst others. We never did the surgery for her because her other problems made the surgery not worth it. Health problems aren't entirely common in well bred APBT's but can be in BYB or otherwise poorly bred specimens of the breed, unfortunately. My poor old girl was a rescue dog, and the vet thought probably poor breeding and the condition she was in before I got her were both contributing factors to her bad health.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:26 PM   #7
MortgFinsJohnQ

Not sure of how much it would help, but you could look into glucosamine and chondroitin supplements, they're good for joints. In addition to that I give vitamin C, which acts as an anti inflammatory. (I own a Saint Bernard, so joint health is a big concern of mine)

Old 10-28-2010, 02:50 AM   #8
mvjvz

This is totally irrelevant probably, but could you post a picture of your dog, I am sure if the dog is a bit overweight or anything that could make things worse right?

Reply to Thread New Thread