LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
TypeTeasiaDer

Default Every time there is a dog attack in the news...
My family starts hating my dog. Doesn't matter if the dog attack was a Lab or a Pit Bull or a Poodle of a Chihuahua. "You know that dog could just turn one day". (Refering to my dog) No no she won't. Dogs don't just turn. They give off signals and if you know what to look for in your dog, you can prevent it before it ever gets far enough. I know my dogs stress triggers and stress signs. But no "Any dog can just turn out of no where it happens all the time. You don't want what happened to the little girl attacked the other day to happen your little girl. If she attacked her (my daughter) you would never be able to forgive yourself". Well probably not but I've never put my dog in the position to fail either. And I've never put my daughter in harms way.
Back when I was pregnant everyone wanted us to get rid of the dogs. The only person who stood behind us on the matter was the one relative I don't even get along with and the one who doesn't really even like dogs...My mother. She saw that they were good dogs and they were trained and under control. Everyone else refuses to see that. Now it must have been a great day and a great relief for everyone, well this side of my family, when Trouble finally passed away a few months ago. Everyone in the family has always had small dogs like Poodles and Yorkies. And the ones who say this stuff about my dog, don't like that she is a dog dog and that I keep her in the house. They think dogs like her are outside dogs to begin with. My dog would not survive a day outside. She is a housedog through and through and needs to be with her family. Being separated from her people would take a huge toll on her. But no one understands that.

It hurts though. My dog is my best friend. She is the absolute best dog I've ever had and might ever have. She is a very special dog to me. I've put a lot of time and effort into helping her be the best dog she can be and she really is a great dog. But What Hurts the Most is its like they don't trust my judgement. I was raised with a good head on my shoulders and I'm going to do whats best for my child. But taking away her buddy, is not what is best for her. Especially when that buddy has never done anything wrong. It would be one thing if I had a dog showing HA but I don't. I won't stand for HA in a home with a child. But she isn't in the least. I don't even think they realize its like a stab at me because they are completely questioning my judgement.
My biggest fear about my dog and daughter is the dog does get excited easily at play and we do have to be right there supervising their interactions, but I wouldn't do it any other way even if she was calm 100 percent of the time.

Sorry to unload this, usually I am able to just let it go and I always put up a tough face and exterior when it comes to things like this but inside it kills me. Because every stab they make at my dog is like a stab at me in this case. Normally I don't let it bother me but I just need to get it out you know. Hopefully I can let it go now and get on with my day. I just knew you guys would understand how I feel right now. I need to move that is all there is to it, I do better with family when there is distance involved.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
LongaDonga

Wow your family is really made up of non-dog people isn't it? I'm sorry you have to put up with their crap. The only thing that matters is that you know your dog is a good dog. Honestly, I'd probably tell them that unless they have something positive to say they can just hold their breath.

Makes me appreciate my family!

Old 10-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
TypeTeasiaDer

Wow your family is really made up of non-dog people isn't it? I'm sorry you have to put up with their crap. The only thing that matters is that you know your dog is a good dog. Honestly, I'd probably tell them that unless they have something positive to say they can just hold their breath.

Makes me appreciate my family!
Its not a constant thing, but it does happen often. Thankfully the other side of my family is very dog friendly. And I get to see them in a few weeks. My father I think is where I get my love for animals. Him and my my half sisters are as big of animal lovers as I am. Unfortunately I only get to see them once maybe twice a year. I talked to my Dad this morning and he was like "Now you are bringing Sasha, right" and I'm like as long as its okay with you. He told me she is always welcome. Its nice when I get to see them. He came to visit a few months ago but I haven't seen the rest of them for over a year ahd a half.

Most of the time though when my family brings up a dog attack or my dog. I just say "oh really" and move on. Or "don't worry about it" and move on. I don't dwell on it. But sometimes it just gets to you. You know.

On a brighter note my husband was told after a year of employment he is eligible to transfer to one of the other offices up north or further east. May be something to consider.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
VogsHoock

I feel ya, my parents constantly make comments about my dogs and I don't think they have any idea how hurtful it is. The crazy part is my mom was bit in the face by a yorkie, but she just sees that as an isolated incident. They also have an extremely dog aggressive Golden Retriever, but "that's just how he is." It's very much a double standard.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
TypeTeasiaDer

I feel ya, my parents constantly make comments about my dogs and I don't think they have any idea how hurtful it is. The crazy part is my mom was bit in the face by a yorkie, but she just sees that as an isolated incident. They also have an extremely dog aggressive Golden Retriever, but "that's just how he is." It's very much a double standard.
Yeah I totally understand what its like to have the double standard going on.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
LongaDonga

That sucks. It'd be nice if you could be closer to the other side of the family.

I can't imagine not taking my dogs to everything/where. Seriously the girls go to my mom's office with me when I go do work for her and they also went to my mom's b-day thing that was at her friend's house last weekend. As screwed up as Scout is they still welcome her with open arms. And didn't mind when I had to bring my friend's big ass Lab/RR boy home because I was dogsitting and since he'd just had surgery on his face he couldn't be left alone.

On the other hand my new neighbor thinks Lily looks mean because she is very focused when she's in a platz. I had a really hard time not laughing honestly.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:16 AM   #7
royarnekara

My father in law thinks that my APBT and American Bulldog will get too excited from something as simple as getting ready to let them outside and their instincts will take over and they will eat my kids. He actually said that. Then he refused to come to our house on his and my mother in laws visit here to MI until I got rid of my dogs. I told him my dogs were trained, that I had met their parents and they were stable dogs and if he needed any furhter reassurance about the breeds of dog I own he was welcome to contact my vet, my trainer and the behaviorist I know who works at the local animal shelter. Still thinks my dogs will eat my kids.

My grandma and a few of my aunts and uncles are also anti- bully breed and when we went to my dad's house for a large family gathering they asked that we (me, my sister and my brother all own APBT's) not let our APBT's near them, their kids or their dogs.

Yeh, family can suck.

Reply to Thread New Thread