LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
arrendabomnem

Default Neighborhood taking their sweet time getting that HOA info to me, regarding dogs
So we were looking at building a house in this one neighborhood, which is way out. Still think I'll go with my original plan find a place not in a neighborhood.

I had a few questions regarding the HOA and I submitted those questions:

1. Do you have any breed restrictions within the neighborhood.

2. What kind of fencing is allowed

3. Are Kennel Runs permitted

4. Can we put in a pool. (They have a community pool but with all the issues I've had I'd rather have my own)

Well question number 1 is a deal breaker. I don't have a dog that would fall under the restricted breed category but I'm not going to go somewhere that has breed restrictions. If I own my home I'm not going to be told what kind of dog I can have.

Number 2 may or may not be an issue.

Number 3. Was wanting to put a run out until I can get the yard fenced in to allow Sasha to have some outside unleased time for a little while daily.

Number 4. I can live without a pool but its something I would like to put in eventually.

Its just so frustrating because I submitted this over a month ago and checked back in with them a few times, Well they told me so far about fencing and the pool and the kennel. Metal fence or Wooden fence. No chainlink or plastic. No pool. Kennel Run is out because its chainlink. They keep avoiding the breed restriction question with things like "Well if you don't have a breed that would fall under the restriction category you will be fine. I'll have to check and see what restrictions we may or may not have" They know they will lose my business with the restrictions on dogs. And they are trying everything to sell me on the place.

I think considering that 2 of my 4 things are a no and they are tap dancing around the breed thing I probably need to keep looking elsewhere. They probably do have breed restrictions. I do not know this but I'm assuming at this point.

Just so frustrated We aren't ready to buy or build. But we have been looking into neighborhoods for awhile now but many have breed restrictions it seems these days.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
lh88gFzI

Yeah, I would keep looking. Its bad enough you have to deal with municiple regulations, but to have additional restrictions on my own land? Hellz naw! I am not paying out the nose and then signing 30 years of my life away in the form of a mortgage just so someone can tell me I can't have a kennel run or the kind of fence I like.

Besides, the HOA can change their rules after you move in. I know my friends HOA has done it after a vote, but having a vote doesn't mean you will win.

Plus, if the HOA has so many rules that would turn off some buyers in the future if you decide to sell. I know that was a huge deal for me when I went house hunting. I passed up a few that were in my price range and a bit nicer than my house just to avoid a HOA.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
xquFzpNw

I agree, I would keep looking, too. I would avoid any place that has an HOA, for many reasons, the biggest being that they can change their rules on you any time they choose to.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
arrendabomnem

Well like I said the breed restriction thing is a total deal breaker for me regardless. I do not own a pit bull at this time, don't know if i ever will or not but I'm sure as heck not going to be told I can or can't have a dog of my choice in my home especially if there is no BSL law against them. I plan to foster for a bit next time before adopting. So if I move into a place that says no to APBTs, Akitas, etc...then I can't help a dog of that breed. No thanks. We had some land we were going to build on that was being left to us that we were going to just go ahead and buy off of them when we could. But unexpected things happened with the family member and the land had to be sold sooner. So we don't have it and won't now.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
lh88gFzI

I hope you find decent land to build on. Back when my father was looking to move his modular home to land the biggest expenses were running utilities. He ended up selling the house and buying a traditional home just because moving the house and installing utility lines was more expensive than simply buying another house! Course, I bet he would have been able to do it if he was willing to use propane and well water.

Anyhow, with the economy in the tank and so many people selling plots of land cheap because they need the money I bet you can find something suitable if you leave no stone unturned.

Reply to Thread New Thread