LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
weightpillsnow

Default Does anybody here know anything about Labradors?
Just wondering if anyone here knows anything about Labradors. My dad has a dog that he was told was a purebred Labrador Retriever but we aren't so sure. Not that it really matters its just a matter of curiousity really.

I've got some pictures, just give me a few minutes to load them.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
MzTT

I grew up with Labs, and my whole family has them, but I'm not a Lab expert or anything.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
weightpillsnow

Aside from her being overweight and in need of a bath there is just something about her that doesn't look lab. Maybe I am wrong but here she is:

Old 09-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
IronpumpedLady

Looks like her bite is off making her face look odd.
Just like any breed there are type-y looking dogs(AKC, show ring cookie cutter dogs) and working lines(UKC, function over form or just working field dogs).
Not to be hurtful but she looks like a ugly chocolate lab. Also just like with the Blue color fad in Bullys etc... Chocolate was a huge lab fad color!!! I see more ugly, miss-shaped, allergy ridden, poorly bred chocolate labs then all the yellows and blacks put together! But no matter what color almost all have pretty nice people skills

Old 09-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
irrascaft

Her ears don't seem right to me... I don't know if it is the way they are set or the way she is carrying them. But I have to agree she's not a good looking dog. Also, without papers you guys will never now if she's purebred.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
IronpumpedLady

She's tipping her head back looking at the camera. We need more pic's

Old 09-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
weightpillsnow

And here is the only other pic I have.

I always suspected she was a badly bred lab but her ears are off. They aren't lab ears. And its hard even to tell in the photos but in person her ears are not lab like either. They are set like that. But at the same time she is papered.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
MzTT

Yeah she definitely doesn't look like a well bred Lab, but it's hard to tell from that picture. Some side views would make it easier.

Just for an example, here are my parents dogs:

They were both AKC registered, and you can see how they both look very different. Zack, the bottom one (RIP ) was also OFA certified and we were considering doing some showing with him but he had some faults, so we never did.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #9
irrascaft

Just like people do with bullies her papers could be hung.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
weightpillsnow

She is pretty old. My Dad took her when my step uncle decided he didn't want to be bothered with her anymore. He got her a long time ago for his girlfriend and when they split she didn't want the dog and neither did he. This is an older picture and like I said she is overweight and dirty here as well. She also has been bred twice before my dad got her.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is if her papers are bogus or what. Not that it matters anyway she is just a pet. But my sister mentioned she thinks the dog is a mutt, and she thinks she has spaniel but I don't know. Again not a big deal just curious more than anything

Old 09-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
irrascaft

Have you actually tried researching the dogs on her pedigree? There could also be some very poorly bred dogs in there that passed their bad traits on to her...

Old 09-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #12
weightpillsnow

Have you actually tried researching the dogs on her pedigree? There could also be some very poorly bred dogs in there that passed their bad traits on to her...
I live 10 hours away. I've never even seen her papers. Infact I don't even think my father ever got them. And he doesn't care about papers or anything, to him a dog is a dog. Doesn't care what the breed is or if its purebred or mixed. He just helps where he can. It was just a curiousity thing my sister and I had going. If the dog is CKC, which she thinks she is. Than who knows. I know you could register a goat through the ckc as a dalmatian. I doubt she is AKC though.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #13
irrascaft

Well IMO she is either a mutt or a very very poorly bred lab. I've seen some poorly bred labs and those at least had lab ears.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #14
weightpillsnow

What kind of bothers us is we know she was being bred and she is not of breeding quality. You know. Atleast she will never be bred again.

Thanks though.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #15
irrascaft

Unfortunately people don't care what they are breeding as long as they can make money. It's sad. And your right at least she won't ever be bred again.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #16
igs00r

She looks kinda houndy to me. She is beautiful though. Reminds me of Candee we had at the shelter. I'll see if I can find a picture of Candee for you.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:28 PM   #17
dalnecymync

But no matter what color almost all have pretty nice people skills
Not around here... f'ing obnoxious, untrustworthy genetic messes of Lab seem to abound around here. But then we have a seriously scary Lab byb problem where I live. Like so bad that the shelter in dire financial straights has been known to put them and GSP's (also a huge byb problem here) on "sale" to try and get at least some of the flood adopted out. Lets just say I wouldn't try to coax in a loose lab around here... I'd just call AC or in the case of where my parent's live, the retarded owners two pastures down that won't contain their stupid dogs.

Maybe she's got a dash of bird dog (like German Shorthair Pointer) or hound in there to make the ears do that. Definitely not lab ears... but other than that she just looks like a terribly bred chocolate lab.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #18
traiffhetl

This dog is the spitting image of my friends dog Maggie. The could be twins. Maggie is a poorly bred chocolate lab, over weight, bad bite and yucky coat and all. But an incredibly sweet dog and awesome with their 2 year old grandchild.
There is always the possibility that she is mixed, but she looks more like the typical back yard lab to me.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #19
FelicitaJ

Not around here... f'ing obnoxious, untrustworthy genetic messes of Lab seem to abound around here. But then we have a seriously scary Lab byb problem where I live.
Same here. Most Labs in my area are either hyper to the point of being uncontrollable or they're unpredicable biters. In fact, Labs are so known for biting in my area that they are often used for guard dogs.

Lets just say I wouldn't try to coax in a loose lab around here...
Me either for the reasons stated above!!

But as to the OP, she just looks like a poorly bred Lab to me. But as long as she is in a home who loves her, that is all that matters!

Blessings ...

Old 09-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #20
Jenisoisy

I would say just a very poorly bred lab..Her bite appears off,her earset is not the best,but I was wondering about the coat texture... is it sorta wavy and not straight like a 'normal' labs?

Reply to Thread New Thread