LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 01-10-2010, 01:32 AM   #1
compiit

I used to have a list of all breeds that could be Brindle posted on my petfinder site.
Most people don't have a clue.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
Wetekemieluth

Grimm has black on his tongue as well. He is definitely not mixed with Chow Chow. Any breed of dog can have black spots on its tongue or roof of its mouth. It's kind of like a birthmark.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:15 AM   #3
iklostardinn

Thanks everyone for the replies. I didn't mean to offend anyone, it was just a question and I have never told someone that this was true, I just heard it and was curious. I don't think every dog with a spot on the roof of its mouth is a pit bull that would be silly I just was asking if all pits had this spot...a friend asked me and I wanted to find out the truth behind it. I just thought it was ironic that my Pit Bull and my Mom's pit mix both have this spot...my dog isn't spotted at all. The birth mark comment makes sense though, I guess it's just a coincidence.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
iklostardinn

Default Do all Pitbulls have a spot on the roof of their mouth?
Someone recently asked me whether or not it was true that any dog with at least a little bit of Pitbull in them has a spot on the roof of their mouth. While I never heard this before, I noticed Alice had this spot when she was a puppy (of course its still there) so it made me curious. I tried to do research online but I couldn't come up with anything worth believing one way or the other. I know black tongues are a characteristic of Chows...anyone know about this?

Old 08-31-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
wasssallx

Well, I'd say it's pretty accurate to say that's a total myth. My Border Collie has spots on the roof of his mouth. Definitely no pit bull in him.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
pooncophy

I believe it is a myth also

Old 08-31-2010, 10:55 PM   #7
Kolokireo

Nope. Lily does, but all the skin on her body is spotted, including her mouth.
I took a picture, but I can't find the usb cord, so whenever I find it I'll upload it lol.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:12 PM   #8
dubballey

My friend has a german shepherd with a spotted tongue...does that count?

Old 08-31-2010, 11:31 PM   #9
nizcreare

Where do people come up with this bs and then continue to pass it around like its common knowledge. This reminds me of Last Chance Highway or what ever that AP show is called. They were picking up a rott mix from a mechanic and the guy knew it was a rott mix but he wasn't sure with what. The chic looks at the dog and said it was a rott, lab mix. When he asked how do you know that, she said because it has webbed feet. Followed with only labs have webbed feet.

Then this week at work I heard a client say there are only 3 breeds that have webbed feet. Idk what the rest of the convo was about but I caught that and I couldn't believe it. I looked at'em and said your kidding right? But no, they were dead serious. Couldn't name the 3 breeds but they knew there were only 3, lab and something else. Wow!

To the Op there are plenty of dogs of different breeds with spots inside their mouth. In no way does that mean they're pit bull mixes. It would be different if they said a black or blue tongue but even then those aren't pit bulls.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:43 PM   #10
fhutiussk

Myth

Old 09-01-2010, 02:04 AM   #11
10traistintarry

my old akc dalmatian had spots on the roof of her mouth along with below her tongue definitely not a pit bull lol so i to say its a myth

Old 09-01-2010, 02:11 AM   #12
compiit

My Grandpa said in his day if a dog had mouth spots people said it was mixed with a Wolf!

Old 09-01-2010, 02:15 AM   #13
wasssallx

My Grandpa said in his day if a dog had mouth spots people said it was mixed with a Wolf!
Does acting like a wolf count?

Old 09-01-2010, 02:20 AM   #14
SkHukV3N

This is absolutely true. Along with the well-known fact that every brindle dog is part pit bull.

Obviously it's BS. Mouth spots are just variances in pigmentation. Like freckles or birthmarks. Our purebred poodle has spots on her palette as well as on her tongue. I've seen dozens of dogs with various lineages with tongue spots or other spots in their mouth.

Reply to Thread New Thread