LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
VXHLrsO1

Default Scared of thunder
does anyone have any dogs scared of thunder?
My to pits are not scared of thunder. It could be going off outside and they would be sound asleep. Our chihuahua on the other hand though is curled up on the side of me shaking hard. i had a boxer one time who hated thunder if he was out side he would bang on the door with his head till you let him in the house. pluse he would shake so bad you would of thought he was going to give himself brain damage.
I just ask cuz its storming now and our chihuahua is scarey little thing

Old 02-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
pfcwlkxav

Sasha is terrified of thunder she would litterly be hiding under me if she could. She shakes during it too and usually curls up into a ball close to me or my husband or even near our daughters playpen. Just so she is close to one of us

Old 02-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
drlifeech

None of my dogs like thunder but i don't think I'd call it fear, mostly I think it just confuses them. I live in San Diego and we might get thunder every 5 years or so. Its the earth quakes we occasionally get that really freaks 'em out.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Rexaviennatutr

None of my dogs are afraid of thunder normally. The last few days we've been having crazy storms, though, and the thunder is loud enough to cause the ground to rumble. That kind of scares Mexi.

Lady is afraid of the thunder when its super loud, too.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:41 PM   #5
malishka1025

Our AmBully has to be sitting in your lap basically when it starts thundering. When the tornado sirens go off it gets back cuz she'll start shaking like a leaf, which our Chi doesn't help because he howls with em. He's harder to listen to than anything with his coyote yodeling imitation he does.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:57 PM   #6
MADwanker

Cooper is not concerned with thunder at all, but my corgi, Max is. He always goes right to stair landing and pushes himself into the corner so he is flanked by wall on either side. He stays right there until its over. We call it his bomb shelter.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:09 AM   #7
mikelangr

I had a Apbt that was scared to death of thunder she chewed thru the leg on my dinning room table one night during storm after that I went to the vet and he gave me doggie downers for her because thunderstorms in Fl are a daily thing in the summer and she was going to drive herself crazy. so if a bad thunderstorm came in I would medicate her to help her keep from hurting herself.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:35 AM   #8
boiffrona

Red and Judge are absolutely fine with any loud noises. Hobie on the other hand is scared to death and hides or trys to bolt out the doors. I hate him getting old and having more and more issues. I give him a few benadryl and let him be with a fan adn radio.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:38 AM   #9
ZesePreodaNed

My pom mix is scared to death of thunder... My old male GSD was so scared he got out one night and nearly killed himself trying to get over the 6' fence...

There are many ways to help... First, don't coddle them when they're scared. It only exacerbates it. Try to get their mind off of it. I make mine do tricks for treats... If it's really bad, ask your vet for some medication to take the edge off of it.

I also do what Krome said, turn the TV on loud and have a fan on her...

Old 05-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
Kristoferson

Desensitizing them to it is a great way to help them past it as well. You could get a recording of a thunderstorm and slowly begin introducing them to the noise, easing the volume up over the course of a week or so and treating them when they are calm throughout. I also agree with Poison, cuddling is a nono.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #11
VXHLrsO1

Desensitizing them to it is a great way to help them past it as well. You could get a recording of a thunderstorm and slowly begin introducing them to the noise, easing the volume up over the course of a week or so and treating them when they are calm throughout. I also agree with Poison, cuddling is a nono.
I think ima try that with our chihuahua we got to get him some doggie valium first poor guy heart beats so fast and he shakes so hard i think hes bout to explode

Old 05-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #12
pfcwlkxav

I have another tip for you I just discovered a few minutes ago when a very loud thunder and lightening storm came through. Do you have a room or rather large closet without any windows?

Take her in there during the worst of it and just sit with her. My scaredy cat, I mean dog it worked for her. Ofcourse with the lightning the way it was we didn't need to be near a bunch of windows and the baby was scared too. So the 3 of us when to our back room where there was no windows and both the baby and the dog calmed down very quickly. The thunder didn't seem to phase them much after that.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #13
abubycera

Aggs gets scared during storms. The first time it happened we thought something was wrong. She was breathing really quickly and kept trying to hide under the couch. Didn't put two and two together until she started whining after the cracks of thunder.

Sometimes when she is in a more feisty mood she will reply to the thunder by barking at it. Both reactions are actually pretty funny to observe

Reply to Thread New Thread