LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 06-30-2010, 01:59 AM   #1
AlexanderPalamayr

Default San Francisco Pitbull owners, help!
Hi, I'm Alexis, I'm still fairly new to this community, so hello all and if this has been posted before I'm sorry!
I'm going to be moving up to San Francisco in the fall for school & I'm in the process of looking for an apartment. I know San Francisco isn't the best place to own a pitbull, and I'm looking for any sort of tips that any of you can provide; I've heard that adding your dog on the lease helps with neighbors who want to get rid of you & the dog - has anyone actually done that? I've told some members of my family & they looked at me like I was kind of crazy..so I'm just wondering if you can actually do that.
And best places for activities with your dog around the city?? We have a HUGE dog park here that I love taking him to (but I only go in the early mornings when no one else is there!)
thanks everyone

oh, and here is my handsome Duke!

oh, and if anyone knows where a pet-friendly apartment or room is available for a 21-year old student, please feel free to share that info

Old 06-30-2010, 03:42 AM   #2
Trikaduliana

Hey there I live in SF. Here are some general tips for you for looking for apartments up here:

1) Make a rental resume for you (i.e. job history, previous rentals, the standard stuff that you have to fill out on most rental applications)

2) Make a rental resume for your dog including vet reference; state that you have documentation that your dog is up to date on all vaccinations; list any classes and training that your dog has had; and throw in a really cute photo

3) CraigsList is a pretty good place to look for rentals as you can narrow down your search by neighborhood and price. What sucks is that even though some listings say they accept dogs, they often have a weight limit that restricts it to lap dogs so you really have to call and get them to be more specific.

4) Yes, when you sign a lease for a rental, make sure your pet is included in the lease. Don't be surprised if you have to pay an additional pet deposit but make sure it's within reason. I have heard of some places that charge an additional monthly "fee" for pets I would not go for that. By law in SF, your initial move-in cost can equal up to 3x the monthly rent and almost every place I have rented in SF has cost that amount to move in.

5) If you wind up looking for a room to rent in an already rented apartment, make sure your name gets added to the lease and that you actually meet the landlord not just the person whose name is on the lease for that apartment. You don't want to be put in a situation where another tenant has illegally sublet a room to you without the actual landlord's knowledge.

6) SF is a pretty dog friendly city overall. Many shops (non-chain stores) will allow dogs inside if the establishment does not serve food or drinks.

7) Some parts of town:
The Mission is a really fun area - lots of restaurants, shops, nightlife and a big park nearby. Rentals rates vary from low to high. If the rent is really low, it's likely going to be a more rundown place and potentially not that safe of a neighborhood. I've never had a problem though and I lived in some dodgy parts of town when I was your age and would go out/come home at all hours. In the Mission and a couple of other neighborhoods, what is safe and unsafe depends on which block of a particular street and you learn which streets you can walk on at night and which ones you want to avoid.

The Sunset is cheaper in terms of rental cost and if you find a place in the outer Avenues, you'll be really close to the Ocean Beach which will be great for your dog.

My favorite places to go hiking with the dog are in the Presidio, Crissy Field, and Lands End. I also walk with her into Noe Valley and Mission neighborhoods too. There are tons of great places to go hiking north, south and east of SF too within an hour or two driving distance.

Quick note on BSL in SF: all "pit bull type" dogs must be spayed or neutered and treadmills are not allowed unless by vet's orders. If you want the link to the SF municipal code, I can dig around for it. I've never been stopped by an ACO and asked to show license info for my dog but she's met and said hello to quite a few cops around town and I have her license tag on her collar at all times.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:14 AM   #3
MrsGoo

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but here's a link about renting that might be of some use.

Renting With Your Dog Regardless of Breed - General Dog Discussions

Old 06-30-2010, 05:19 AM   #4
AlexanderPalamayr

thank you! you've guys been a great help. I didn't know that about a treadmill at all, wow! I was thinking about getting one for him to help burn off energy but I guess I'll talk to my vet about that.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:05 PM   #5
ProlentEdmundal

I took some time to believe over it, after reading your article. The points you might have introduced in it are really important. I truly accept all your statements. We have to give mo Re heed to all those problems that are essential to prevent errors. There is a websiteProfessional dissertation writing service on a query.

Reply to Thread New Thread