LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
zdoppiklonikaa

Default Does your dog like cowhides?
Looking into trying cowhide on my spring pole as my dog current;y doesn't play with the rope on it too much, how does your dog like hides? Thinking about ordering some from stillwater but he only sells in cases of 6 and won't sell just 1. Do most dogs go crazy for these things or have you seen some that don't care for them? Don't wanna spend $35 to find out my dog hates them!

Old 03-17-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
Lilji

Looking into trying cowhide on my spring pole as my dog current;y doesn't play with the rope on it too much, how does your dog like hides? Thinking about ordering some from stillwater but he only sells in cases of 6 and won't sell just 1. Do most dogs go crazy for these things or have you seen some that don't care for them? Don't wanna spend $35 to find out my dog hates them!
I have not tried them yet I am thinking about it

Old 03-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
steerryGritly

Mine like them but like flavored treats a lot more.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
steevytraunse

I've never tried flirt or spring poles but I've toyed with the idea by using one of their favorite toys. The best reactions have always been with stuffed animals for my boys. Doesn't matter if its on the end of a rope, a pole or in my hand. I have different ones around and they know which one they can and can't play with.

The best part is they're cheap and easy to replace, the down side is cleaning up the cotton when they're done.
Sometimes when they're done (tearing it apart and pulling everything out of it)I wash and tie the torn pieces together.

They're cheaper than buying toys if you purchase them from second hand stores or garage sales. I'm good at those claw machines in stores so I use those to.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
Lilji

I've never tried flirt or spring poles but I've toyed with the idea by using one of their favorite toys. The best reactions have always been with stuffed animals for my boys. Doesn't matter if its on the end of a rope, a pole or in my hand. I have different ones around and they know which one they can and can't play with.

The best part is they're cheap and easy to replace, the down side is cleaning up the cotton when they're done.
Sometimes when they're done (tearing it apart and pulling everything out of it)I wash and tie the torn pieces together.

They're cheaper than buying toys if you purchase them from second hand stores or garage sales. I'm good at those claw machines in stores so I use those to.
Stuffed animals do not last 5 minutes with my two I had tons because I love claw machines but I no longer give them to the dogs because they destroy them and I have to clean all the stuffing up also Marlo choked one day got it caught in his throat .

Old 03-18-2010, 12:46 AM   #6
Katoabralia

All of my dogs love them. It is like doggy crack with hair to them. I usually put the hides either on their flirt pole or spring pole. They are fabulous. I totally recommend them. Two thumbs and two paws up.

Pandora use to just chew on them but then again she was a weirdo.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:44 AM   #7
UHlVExs7

My dog loves hides.If your dog has any prey drive these are almost certain to bring it out.

With Stillwater you will get more than you pay for.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:48 AM   #8
Dwemadayday

actually on the spring pole...surprisingly for my bot atm (I JUST swapped his rope toy out today) a stuffed duck from wal-mart, its a dog toy that has a squeaker in it that sounds like a duck lol...well I attached its neck to the spring pole, had it where his back feet were still on the ground but he had to hop up to get it, and he never tugged on it but had a ton of fun bite and releasing it...he has had this sucker up for 8 months (just raised it to be where his front feet are off the ground today) and he will normally tug it a little but with that toy he does not, and he has destroyed many a stuffed toy so I donno might just be my wacky dog lol (I have photos just dont have them uploaded yet)

Old 03-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #9
zdoppiklonikaa

Great info!

Old 06-22-2010, 10:15 PM   #10
zdoppiklonikaa

how do you connect them to your pole so they dont tear?

Old 06-22-2010, 10:32 PM   #11
QxmFwtlam

My dog is indifferent about hides, but each dog has their own preference.

Now greenies, she will do a handstand for greenies

Old 06-22-2010, 10:50 PM   #12
joanbertis

LOL cowhides are not for treats!

Old 06-22-2010, 11:00 PM   #13
zdoppiklonikaa

LOL cowhides are not for treats!
i think he's getting it confused with RAWhides

Old 06-23-2010, 03:27 AM   #14
moredasers

My guy loves this piece of leather I got for his spring pole. It's also the most durable thing we've had.

If you have an Atwoods or tractor supply/farm supply type store, or even a saddle shop or shoe repair place, you can get scrap leather for cheap. I got a bag at Atwoods for 5 dollars.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:04 AM   #15
BodeOmissemia

If you want we could go in and split an order of hides, I havent tried them eather but am planning on it, I dont need 6 hides though. And you dont live far.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #16
zdoppiklonikaa

If you want we could go in and split an order of hides, I havent tried them eather but am planning on it, I dont need 6 hides though. And you dont live far.
i just ordered 6 yesterday, im sure shipping would be super cheap from me to you, and i work at a business that ships UPS everyday pm me!

Old 06-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #17
gariharlj

tank loves em!!! he goes crazy when i take it out....and stillwater has the best deals

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 AM ----------

oh ya keep em wraped up or they will dry out!

Old 06-23-2010, 07:56 PM   #18
Shipsyspeepay

Every dog I've offered a flirt pole to with a cowhide has went crazy.
Like jeoestreich said they are doggie crack! lol Even my Samson who is NOT a toy/playing type dog will get active for a cowhide.
I thought about ordering some...but I'll just wait until a show and pick up one or two instead of having to buy in bulk.
Also FYI they STINK. They smell like a...well...like a cow! lol

Old 06-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #19
zdoppiklonikaa

Current interest 0 lol... That was late and i just took 1 out of the box Titan sniffed it walked away lol.. Going to try it on the pole tonight

Old 06-29-2010, 12:30 AM   #20
Narus63

Stuffed animals do not last 5 minutes with my two I had tons because I love claw machines but I no longer give them to the dogs because they destroy them and I have to clean all the stuffing up also Marlo choked one day got it caught in his throat .
There is NO WAY I would let my Pibbuls have a stuffed toy. They have managed to start taking bites off their heavy rubber Kong bones. A stuffed animal wouldn't last five minutes with them. And as has been said there is the danger of ingestion of the contents of said toys. Not worth the vet bill...

Reply to Thread New Thread