LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 11-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
KahiroSamo

Default Regarding bringing a "pit bull" type dog into canada/ontario?
Hey guys. So here's the story. I have been thinking about getting a dog for a long while now. While browsing online I came across a adoption place in the US with a Doberman/"pitt bull" mix dog(about 1 yr old) I watch some videos on him and just thought he seemed like a great dog for me...
So here's the problems.. #1. He's in California and im in Ontario, thats quite the drive. However Im willing to do it if I can manage the time. #2. The "pitt Bull" type breed ban in Ontario. This is the hard one. It just dosnt seem right to me that they can label andy mix breed a pitt bull and what have you. I actually called this place and asked about the dog and she actually said it has Rottie in it and maybe isnt even a pitt bull type.
Anyway, so the problem is any kind of dog that could be labelled as a pitt bull type will be a problem getting into Ontario correct? Is there anything around this? Like, if its a mix, adopted? etc?
Now here's my though if I was to have to go to the extreme, bare with me. Say I got the dog in the US, and took it over the border say in somewhere other than ontario? Then from there go into Ontario without hitting the border? get it.. K, thanks
Appreciate the advice

Old 11-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
dosyrotsbop

Sounds too risky for the dog. Just let him get adopted by someone where it would be legal to have him. Plus if this is a rescue, I doubt they would adopt a dog one out of county and two to a place that has Pit Bull Bans like Ontario.
That in my opinion would be in the best interest of the dog. And you wouldn't be breaking any laws
The only other thing you could do is have them drop the pit bull part on the adoption paperwork. But if the dog resembles a pit you will run into trouble eventually.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
goldcigarettes

NO, i will NOT bring a dog into an area that has a "pitbull" ban

Old 11-06-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
lammaredder

your risk having him confiscated and euthanized.i would not bring either of my dogs there.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
karkinadze

There is no way 'around it' that is worth risking the life of the dog. Even if you get him accross the border any animal control or person really could complain and it would be euthanize for the dog. I would suggest picking a different breed (that does not AT ALL resemble any kind of bully breed) or move before getting a dog. AC can put down ANY dog that resembles a banned breed really with no questions asked. Besides, a rescue would be stupid to adopt to you knowing that you're in Ontario. Sorry.....

Old 11-06-2010, 11:25 PM   #6
goldcigarettes

please do NOT get a "pitbull".

Old 11-06-2010, 11:30 PM   #7
dosyrotsbop

I do have to say that I'm a little concerned that you are willing to break the law over this dog. There are so many breeds and mixes out there. I'm sure you could find one that is allowed where you live that would still be a great fit for your family.
Again please don't try to bring a Pit Bull into Ontario. That is just suicide for the dog. Please just leave the dog in Cali.
I hate BSL as much as the next person but its not going away just yet. Eventually I hope it does but don't go get this dog.
What is it about This dog that you like so much?

Maybe we can help you find what you are looking for in another breed?

Old 11-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #8
goldcigarettes

i'm sorry sweetheart i hate BSL and "pit bull" bans so much.

and we all know who we can blame for this BS in the first place

Old 11-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #9
KahiroSamo

Cool guys. Thats why im here, just to see if its a good idea or not. Because I just thought maybe there were rules you know... like maybe like someone said if on the papers it dosnt say pitt bull, then it would be fine maybe..... I didnt know..

Also, my friend has a pitt bull", that he found as a pup and has had no problems what so ever.. so.. just saying.

And the dog, I guess what i like is that dobes are my fav... But they have a genetic heart problem. This one mixed is a real nice dog and maybe would avoid that problem. He is a young, beautiful dog and has been in a shelter for 3 months and I would love to give him a home. And does anyone no about part #2 of my question regarding avoiding the ontario border? just curious is all..

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

The reason I asked is because I didnt want to do something stupid... I just find it weird how I can bring a Dogo, or a Presa, which is essentially a 3 or 4X pittbull here but not a "pitt bull" type dog is all. And yes, am wondering if the dogs paperwork say it is say a Dobe/Rottie would they let that pass? or is it just how lucky you get?

Old 11-06-2010, 11:50 PM   #10
dosyrotsbop

And the dog, I guess what i like is that dobes are my fav... But they have a genetic heart problem. This one mixed is a real nice dog and maybe would avoid that problem. He is a young, beautiful dog and has been in a shelter for 3 months and I would love to give him a home. And does anyone no about part #2 of my question regarding avoiding the ontario border? just curious is all..
You are better off getting a Doberman from a reputable breeder that does genetic health testing. You have a better chance at getting a healthy dog that way than getting a mutt from the shelter.

Now I love mutts, my dog is a mutt and she is great. So far super healthy. But you are playing a game of russian roulette really. I've had super healthy mutts and I have had very sickly mutts. Same goes with purebreds.

But buy purchasing a purebred doberman from a reputable breeder that health tests, is your very best bet at getting a genetically and mentally sound dog, and a healthy dog.

Now in the USA a lot of places that have restrictions on Pit Bulls also have restrictions on Dobies and Rotties. I'm not sure what the law is on that in Ontario.

About your second question. Its moot point. Don't even try it.

You realize you are asking us to help you find a way to break the law right? We aren't going to do that.

Let us help you find the right breed of dog for you that isn't subject to the BSL Laws.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #11
KahiroSamo

^^^^^^^^^^

I hear you its just I see pitt bull types quite a bit, you know? and like I said, know people with them and they havnt had problems.... its one of those things where i could go its whole life not having any problems or could have some... I get that.

Like I said though, if there was some sort of law that if on the paperwork the dog isnt listed as a pit, and that would be okay... then that could work is what im saying.

And as far as the dobes it dosnt matter if the testing is done or not.. 40% of the dogs will get it at some point of their lives, and usually around 5 I believe, and after.. Think it was also something crazy like the next breed was a cocker, at 12%. I did my research

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

oh, how do you post pics here guys??, maybe I will post one and see your opinion on if he looks like a pitt bull....

Old 11-07-2010, 12:03 AM   #12
dosyrotsbop

^^^^^^^^^^

I hear you its just I see pitt bull types quite a bit, you know? and like I said, know people with them and they havnt had problems.... its one of those things where i could go its whole life not having any problems or could have some... I get that.

Like I said though, if there was some sort of law that if on the paperwork the dog isnt listed as a pit, and that would be okay... then that could work is what im saying.

And as far as the dobes it dosnt matter if the testing is done or not.. 40% of the dogs will get it at some point of their lives, and usually around 5 I believe, and after.. Think it was also something crazy like the next breed was a cocker, at 12%. I did my research

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

oh, how do you post pics here guys??, maybe I will post one and see your opinion on if he looks like a pitt bull....
You can use a photo host site like Flickr or photobucket or go under User CP and create an album.

Here is a posting photos thread: http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=2424

Old 11-07-2010, 12:06 AM   #13
boleroman

Lets put it this way. A guy down in FL where BSL is had his dogs taken away and euth for being a "PIT BULL type dog" (there is no two t's btw) but his dogs were actually American Bulldogs. The BSL in Ontario is by far the worst, so i wouldnt even begin to try it. All it takes is one retard to say OMG ITS A PIT! to have your dog euth IMMEDIATELY. no questions asked. It doesnt even have to be a pit bull. anything thats big with short hair is classified as pit bull in all BSL locations, so youre going to essentially put this dog to its death. No offense.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:07 AM   #14
dosyrotsbop

Again there are so many great breeds out there, I just don't get why you are so set on this dog that you are willing to risk his life.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:09 AM   #15
goldcigarettes

blame the irresponsible owners and their UNSTABLE HA mutts for this banning BS.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:13 AM   #16
KahiroSamo

downloading pics always has to be such a pain.. lol... so, i can just dowload to album in my cp here?

I would never risk the life of a dog, but the whole law is just BS. Like I said, its fine for me to get a dogo right? well, thats legal but would you advise me agaisnt that? im confused there on the law. Essentially there is now over 20 breeds of dogs in ontario "banned" because of these 1 or 2 specific breeds? Dont make any sense boys and girls.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:14 AM   #17
Enjknsua

There is sort of a way around it, although not with this particular dog. There ARE dogs available for adoption in Ontario that ARE grandfathered in, although you have to have NOT had a ''pit bull type dog'' before the ban passed.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:17 AM   #18
KahiroSamo

Oh guys and btw, when I was looking at dogos, and such not long ago I did actually go as far as to contact someone(foget who exactly) about bringings pups across... I cant recall everything but in the end she basically told me I would have no trouble bringing a papered Dogo or Presa etc into Ontario... just spme food for thought.

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

There is sort of a way around it, although not with this particular dog. There ARE dogs available for adoption in Ontario that ARE grandfathered in, although you have to have NOT had a ''pit bull type dog'' before the ban passed.
where do I find these grandfathers?lol.. i know what you mean... where? and arent they older then?

Old 11-07-2010, 12:17 AM   #19
Enjknsua

Here's the website for Bullies In Need. You can see where it says ''Safe In Ontario'' and a list of names? Those dogs ARE grandfathered in and can be adopted..

http://bulliesinneed.ca/

They might even be able to hook you up with other grandfathered in dogs from other rescues if those dogs aren't what you are looking for.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:20 AM   #20
goldcigarettes

Zoe, what was the reason again why ontario has a ban on "pitbulls"?

Reply to Thread New Thread