LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-07-2010, 12:17 AM   #1
Alex Photographer

Default Silly Buck! (and more training)
So my daughter takes Buck for a walk after he ate his dinner last night. No big deal, she walks him all the time (she is 20). After a few minutes, I began to wonder where she had gone, as she said it would be a quick one.

She finally comes back, really pissed off. Apparently she hooked the leash to the little circle-thingy on the collar that holds the rabies tag, and when she 'checked' him, it broke. He took off like a bullet, all over the neighborhood.

He played tag with her - he would get close then take off again, jumped over a hedge, went up on a front porch and jumped off into a row of thick bushes, and PLAYED, yes PLAYED, with 2 other dogs that were on leashes. She was terrified, but saw them playing. Go figure. When she would catch up to him, he would run off again. 2 neighbors helped her corner him into their yard and closed the gate. Once he was inside, he was easy to leash up.

So even though he had the time of his life galloping around the neighborhood, we have to make sure it NEVER happens again and instill a better COME in this boy (and pay more attention when attaching the leash)! Whew!

The really funny thing is the Buck went back into his crate once they were back home. My daughter was scolding him, and Conan, my older pit, seemed to be relishing in the fact that Buck was in trouble.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:13 AM   #2
TriammaMade

That happened to me once with my old dog Taddo (rip). I chased him all over and finally pinned him in someones yard. I sure miss the old boy.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:20 AM   #3
forexsoft

Ugh! My girl does he same thing! When we are playing ball, sometimes she will bring me the ball back when i call her. But, other times she plays "tag" and i have to chase her down to ge the ball back! Its annoying really...but sometimes it can be cute.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:23 AM   #4
DoctorTentonyya

awww yea I wish Goren would not do this, he does it when he is done playing fetch or in trouble sometimes he will just run, at least when he is done playing fetch he does not pick up the toy, he runs to it then back to me then runs away and I don't even give him the satisfaction of me chasing him for that hehe.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:28 AM   #5
VINPELA

Long line people...

Old 03-07-2010, 02:47 AM   #6
gooseCile

Instead of chasing, call their name and start running in the opposite direction. By default, they'll chase you. Just whip around and grab their collar and BAM, you've got them back.
Also, of course, back to basic obedience!

Old 03-07-2010, 02:49 AM   #7
DoctorTentonyya

Instead of chasing, call their name and start running in the opposite direction. By default, they'll chase you. Just whip around and grab their collar and BAM, you've got them back.
Also, of course, back to basic obedience!
I have done this, and I don't use a long line in my yard, but I do when we hike, the yard he gets off leash, its the rare time he does, in the house he is mostly on leash lol even if I am not holding it

Old 03-07-2010, 02:50 AM   #8
forexsoft

Haha I'll try that! Thanks!

Old 03-07-2010, 02:55 AM   #9
gooseCile

Figured this was appropriate here:
Teach your dog the magic word to come to - Training Behavior

Old 03-07-2010, 04:28 AM   #10
Alex Photographer

Great suggestions! Thanks everyone. I swear, Buck is the happiest dog in the world. He is just so fun loving and smart, and wanted to play and play and play. He was so tired last night. I just can't figure out the issues with my other dogs. Can't we all just get along?? Someday . . .

Reply to Thread New Thread