LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-21-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
Endatrybeeddy

Default Tips on moving?
So we officially have 40-ish days to move because our landlord failed to fix a lot of things in the house. And at this point I am so ready to just buy a house. lol

The issue now is that we have a bunch of cats and a dreaded pit mix. We've seen one place that we really liked but the owner apparently hates dogs, especially pits and other "dangerous" dogs. So do we still pursue this house? There were two "pit bull" attacks on the news yesterday so it's really not helping our case very much. We told him we would get special insurance to cover and damages that dog may make even though in the two years we had had him he's never just went nuts and destroyed anything, bit anyone, hurt any other animals, etc. I was thinking of making him a little resume or something with cute pictures and references of our current neighbors and the owners of other dogs whom he's played with regularly.

As of right now though everyone we've talked to basically says no to Keoki beacuse of his breed and they never even meet him.

So am I forgetting anything?/ Do you have any suggestions?

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

oh nevermind I just noticed you had a sticky on this.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
capeAngedlelp

You answered your own question.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
bestworkother

Sounds like you're on the right track

When we rented, we created dog resumés for our dogs: picture of the dog, etc. There are a couple of templates online, but you should mention how you intend on exercising your dog, how you intend on grooming it/keeping the house and yard clean, the training your dog has, a brief Veterinary history (as in UTD on vaccinations, neutered, preventatives, etc.) Then also include a letter of reference from a neighbor and your Veterinarian. Does this potential new landlord know why you're moving? As in - would this landlord ask for a letter of reference from your existing landlord?

You could find out how much renter's liability insurance costs (I think a $500,000 plan is usually $15/month) and include that in the resumé as well. But you might want to get others' opinions on that portion as it *could* hinder rather than help.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
Assunkkensatt

Also (I think the sticky covers this) don't lie about the breed. I am looking for a roommate, well I have one lined up as a fail safe but I'm still looking around for one than may be less work (his dog is DA and also really wants to eat my cat) and just got a call yesterday from a couple saying they had 3 terriers.

I asked what kind of terriers and they were like er um American terriers. Right... I was like I don't think there is such a thing, do you have an AmStaff an APBT or what? They were adamant they were American terriers. Maybe they had no idea what they had or maybe there is a breed I have never heard of?

3 dogs would have been too many anyway but still, be honest.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
bestworkother

I asked what kind of terriers and they were like er um American terriers. Right... I was like I don't think there is such a thing, do you have an AmStaff an APBT or what? They were adamant they were American terriers. Maybe they had no idea what they had or maybe there is a breed I have never heard of?
Maybe they got the terriers from someone else that said they were "American Terriers." Then you have to wonder, though, if they are knowledgeable enough to understand DA in terriers/APBTs or whether they'd freak out with a DA APBT and think it would "turn on humans" next.

I had someone tell me Gidget was "small" this weekend, started petting her, then ask me what kind of dog she was. When I said APBT (she's only 46 lbs) they said, shocked, "THAT'S a PB?" lol

Reply to Thread New Thread