LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
L0KoxewQ

Default My pitbull isn't growing very tall!! What gives?
Hey all, I am new to the pitbull terrier world. I have a 5 month old pit that I absolutely love..I never thought of a dog to be so personal. Any ways, my pitbull terrier (Ryder) isn't getting very tall. He is starting to fill out some around his shoulders, chest, neck and his head is amazing. But he has short legs and big feet..can anyone give me some input on this guy?? He is supposedly registered, but when I gave the money to the people, they said they would mail the papers to me...this was in February. I have only heard from them once since then, and they've promised me again they will mail them to me. I even sent them pictures of Ryder because they said they needed them for the registration. But that's another story. My main concern is the height of my pit!

Old 10-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
Nzmoafzn

Well, what type of Pit is he? Pit bull is a term for various related breeds like the APBT, Staffordshires, AM Bullies etc etc. Got pics to post?

Other than that, these do tend to be medium sized dogs and they generally grow taller the first year and fill out the second. With him being 5 months old he has some growing to do still.

Grats on getting him and welcome to the forums!

Old 10-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
Cemeuncex

pitbulls dont get very tall check out this link
[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Pit_Bull_Terrier[/ame]

Old 10-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
L0KoxewQ

Well, what type of Pit is he? Pit bull is a term for various related breeds like the APBT, Staffordshires, AM Bullies etc etc. Got pics to post?

Other than that, these do tend to be medium sized dogs and they generally grow taller the first year and fill out the second. With him being 5 months old he has some growing to do still.

Grats on getting him and welcome to the forums!
He is supposed to have razor's edge bloodline. He isn't a staffie and not a AM bully. His dad was a blue and his mom was a brindle. I'll try to post a couple of pics..

Old 10-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
L0KoxewQ

Here he is..he is around 3 1/2 almost 4 months old here..

Old 10-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
Cemeuncex

there are people on this forum that also have razors edge I am sure one of them could give you the hight information that you are looking for based on the blood line.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
neictscek

I'm afraid that Razor Edge bloodlines are used quite a bit in AmBully lines. Your pup could be registered as an APBT but actually be an AmBully because people who breed AmBullies will register their dogs as APBT.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #8
Wr8dIAUk

Here is a link to some photos of pit bulls that are of the "razors edge" lines

http://www.southernpridepitbulls.com/females.html

Personally in looks that is not what I think of when I think of an American Pit Bull Terrier. If I'm not mistaken I have been told the Razors Edge line is a BYB thing and they have more than just APBT in the line. Correct me if I am wrong. But the important thing is you love your dog. So if you look at breed standard for the American Pit Bull Terrier, the razors edge won't exactly fall under it. Or so I am told. Again if I am wrong, please correct me. I don't want to give wrong information

Here is some info for you from the UKC about the APBT:

http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/B...dNovember12008

And the AKC for the AMstaff:

http://www.akc.org/breeds/american_s...rier/index.cfm

Old 10-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #9
L0KoxewQ

Ryder

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

Here he is at 12-13 weeks..

Old 10-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
Nzmoafzn

I'm afraid that Razor Edge bloodlines are used quite a bit in AmBully lines. Your pup could be registered as an APBT but actually be an AmBully because people who breed AmBullies will register their dogs as APBT.
Yup. This could also be why you haven't gotten your papers. Perhaps the dog is a mix of AM Bully and APBT. Not unheard of for uneducated or unethical breeders to do this. From what I understand from other members posts, Razors Edge is almost exclusively AM Bully now.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #11
Assunkkensatt

How tall is he and what does he weigh? They do go through spurts. Personally I like the smaller ones. 5 months is a little early to tell. NM didn't see the last OP post. Short legs, big feet 'amazing' head. AmBully.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #12
voksveta

He's most likely an AmBully but kinda looks amstaff...my girl is an Ambully and at 7 months is around 18 or 19in tall.

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Oh forgot to add, she's Razors Edge

Old 10-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #13
slimsex

Lucy barely comes up to my knee (I'm about 5 foot 6). She'll be 2 in August. But she's also a Colby not Razor's Edge.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #14
LongaDonga

I know the "classic" AmBullies look like ASTs (at least to me anyway). But if it is a RE dog, I wouldn't look to have a tall animal, most RE dogs today are bred to be short & squatty, like an English Bulldog.

Either way, my advice would be to neuter him & love your boy for who he is.

Hope this helps.

Blessings ...

Old 10-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #15
L0KoxewQ

How tall is he and what does he weigh? They do go through spurts. Personally I like the smaller ones. 5 months is a little early to tell. NM didn't see the last OP post. Short legs, big feet 'amazing' head. AmBully.
He is approximately around 15" tall and weighs in at around 30 lbs. His snout isnt really stubby, and he runs sideways..gallops sideways as well. I don't know. I'll try to take some better shots of him and post them. I would really like to know what is up though. My fiance calls him our "midget pit" (No pun intended).

Old 10-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #16
neictscek

This is directly taken from the UKC's website for the APBT breed standard:

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT

• The American Pit Bull Terrier must be both powerful and agile so actual weight and height are less important than the correct proportion of weight to height. Desirable weight for a mature male in good condition is between 35 and 60 pounds. Desirable weight for a mature female in good condition is between 30 and 50 pounds. Dogs over these weights are not to be penalized unless they are disproportionately massive or rangy.

Very Serious Fault: Excessively large or overly massive dogs.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #17
Assunkkensatt

That is small. I like the small dogs though but maybe you have a pocket AmBully.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #18
LongaDonga

I think AmBullies come in pocket, standard & XL or something like that? Although I wouldn't really call a pocket AmBully a "pocket" sized dog! They're still huge IMO - they just have chopped off legs. lol.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #19
Assunkkensatt

I just measured that and measured Puck for comparison and he's almost 16 inches and 27 pounds at 14 weeks.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #20
LongaDonga

That's not bad - it's when you get dogs that are 16 inches & 60 lbs I think you'd be getting in the pocket bully category! lol.

Blessings ...

Reply to Thread New Thread