LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
banditorfv

Default DNA test
Just for the heck of it I sent away to get my dog's DNA analyzed to detect the breeds in my dog ancestry, no real reason, just thought it would be interesting. She was a stray, and we have no knowledge of her genetic makeup, but she looks like a beautiful American Pit Bull Terrier. The company that was used detects 159 breeds, but only those breeds registered by the AKC. The results came back with 2 significant breed matches (significant breed is when in at least 50% of your dog's DNA matches the breed) and there were no intermediate or minor breeds detected. The results were the American Straffordsire Terrier and American Bulldog. Anyone else ever had a DNA test done? If so, how were the results?

Old 04-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
Jellowstrom

Most DNA tests can get you in the ballpark of breeds at best. They are pretty unreliable, unless you are testing for parentage verification, and not putting out a shot in the dark to determine breed.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
xesvideo

Last time I checked the American Bulldog is not an AKC recognized breed so how I wonder how they got that result?

Old 04-21-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
Elisabetxxx

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a4CDvK868w"]Canine DNA Test Results[/ame]

Pretty funny. Did you use biotech or another firm?

Old 04-22-2010, 12:07 AM   #5
TineSeign

The are not really accurate because they only have AKC breeds and they do not have every breed. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:11 AM   #6
w3QHxwNb

A friend of mine does training and she has a video about these 30 something shelter dogs they did 3 DNA tests on (pitbull looking dogs, as a test into the accuracy of detecting the breed so most non-pitbull dogs could be rehomed for what they really are) turns out most of the tests on the SAME dog showed different results

Old 04-22-2010, 05:01 AM   #7
Shipsyspeepay

There are a few DNA tests on the market.

The one used in that Youtube video does not even recognize AmStaff, Staffy Bull, or APBT. So that video is a load of crap. If you are going to try and prove a point. Why don't you use a test that actually has the breed listed. So she is a dumbass.

The breeds recognized by the test that lady on youtube used. And now there is more than there used to be when she did the test.

"Who's Your Daddy?"
{Bio Pet Vet Lab}

Identified Breeds

Afghan Hound Dachshund Old English Sheepdog
Airedale Terrier Dalmatian Papillion
Akita Doberman Pinscher Pekingese
Australian Shepherd English Setter Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Basenji English Springer Spaniel Pomeranian
Basset Hound German Shepherd Poodle
Beagle German Short-haired Pointer Pug
Belgian Tervuren Golden Retriever Rhodesian Ridgeback
Bernese Mountain Dog Great Dane Rottweiler
Bichon Frise Great Pyrenees Saint Bernard
Border Collie Greyhound Saluki
Borzoi Havanese Samoyed
Boston Terrier Irish Setter Scottish Terrier
Boxer Irish Wolfhound Shetland Sheepdog
Brittany Italian Greyhound Shih Tzu
Bull Terrier Labrador Retriever Siberian Husky
Bulldog Lhasa Apso Standard Schnauzer
Chihuahua Maltese Weimaraner
Chinese Shar-Pei Mastiff West Highland White Terrier
Chow Chow Miniature Pinscher Whippet
Cocker Spaniel Miniature Schnauzer Yorkshire Terrier
Collie Newfoundland

To the OP sounds like you used the Wisdom Panel. And they do recognize the American Bulldog.

Breed Library

They do have a FAQ about "Pit Bulls"
FAQ's

◦Does Wisdom Panel™ Insights test for “Pit-bull?”

The term “Pit-bull” does not refer to a single or recognized breed of dog, but rather to a genetically diverse group of breeds. Pit-bull type dogs have historically been bred by combining guarding type breeds with terriers for certain desired characteristics – and as such they may retain many genetic similarities to the likely progenitor breeds and other closely related breeds.

Due to the genetic diversity of this group, we cannot build a DNA profile for the Pit-bull. If a Pit-bull type dog was tested, we might anticipate that Wisdom Panel Insights test detect and report moderate to Minor amounts of one or more distantly related breeds to those used to breed the dog, it is possible that one or more of the following breeds might be detected at moderate to Minor amounts: the American Staffordshire terrier, Boston terrier, Bull terrier, Staffordshire Bull terrier, Mastiff, Bullmastiff Boxer, Bulldog and various small terriers like the Parson Russell. These breeds would be detected because some markers in these breeds have genetic identity at a minority of the markers Wisdom Panel Insights test uses to the breeds in our database.

Some local communities in the United States have put restrictions on Pit-bull ownership. Mars Veterinary™ encourages dog owners and care providers to be fully aware of their local laws, which vary across the country.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:06 AM   #8
10traistintarry

A friend of mine did it with her 'mutts' and was happy with the results, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Rosie came back as:
Boxer, Bulldog, Irish Setter & Labrador Retriever

Nick came back as:
Bull Terrier, Italian Greyhound, American Eskimo Dog, Boxer, Chihihua & Bernese Mountain Dog

Old 04-22-2010, 06:10 AM   #9
Rnlvifov

A friend of mine did it with her 'mutts' and was happy with the results, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Rosie came back as:
Boxer, Bulldog, Irish Setter & Labrador Retriever

Nick came back as:
Bull Terrier, Italian Greyhound, American Eskimo Dog, Boxer, Chihihua & Bernese Mountain Dog
Que?

Old 04-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
TessUnsonia

Ruby is a pound puppy mystery mix - BUT - I believe she is at least half APBT.... She is approx 19 1/2 " tall, so I'm not sure what to make of the boxer part ... if anything.

First test (before they had pit bulls/am staffs profiled - Canine Heritage test - was curious what 'bulldog' markers would come up):

Primary" tier was blank (50% or greater breed)
Secondary tier: Bulldog
Third tier: Boxer

And a 2nd test when the am staff, I believe, was finally profiled (the blood test by Mars/Wisdom Panel):

BOXER/Beagle/Bull Terrier/Bull Mastiff/French Bulldog/Kerry Blue Terrier/Labrador)

Old 04-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #11
banditorfv

I did use Wisdom Panel. I found it on line for much cheaper than it's website price.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:56 PM   #12
VIDEOHITE

Well it might be handy if you ever went to court someday and they try to use DNA for banning of breeds. They would be DNA certified non APBT's

Old 04-22-2010, 11:58 PM   #13
N95FzmMw

oh never mind what i was gonna say. Great looking dogs.

Reply to Thread New Thread