LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
Frierlovene

Default Can your dogs spell?
Just wondering if I am the only one who has resorted to spelling words in front of the dog when you don't want them to know what you are saying?

Just really "hot" words that would attract doggy attention like, "out, yard, run, cat"...or whatever words your dog finds particularly appealing.

It has gotten so bad with V. that now I can't even spell entire words. Many times before I take her out in the yard to play; I'll have a discussion with someone in the house about my intentions...that sometimes involves a discussion around whether or not this is a good time and if she is really going to go out and play at this exact minute...so I don't want to alert her until it's a definite...because once she knows she's going out she gets super excited and starts jumping, whining, barking, running to the door and acting like a mad dog.

This weekend I was talking to the husband, deciding if I wanted to take V. out to play because we had had some rain and the yard was muddy. (I know she's a dog, but I was debating on whether or not I wanted to roll my freshly bathed dog in the mud). V. was "asleep" on the couch.

Do you think I should take her in the Y...A...

Veronica's head pops up (from what appeared to be a sound sleep), she looks from me to the door to me...with that expectant look that says..."I'm about to zoomie! Yea me...I'm going out!" She was about to get up; which would involve running to me, jumping on me (like a mack truck) and around me while whining and barking...because going out gets her very excited. Except that I then had to tell her to "wait" (which is a word she doesn't care for). Actually I had to tell her "wait" a couple of times, with the accompanying hand signal before the haze cleared from her eyes and she managed to look crestfallen.

So now I can't say "Y...A"; I definitly can't say "Y...A..R...D"; and "O...U...T" is out of the question.

I know she really can't "spell"; but I cannot believe that she is that in tune with what we are saying and doing that we actually have to be sneaky in order to have private conversations and keep secrets from the dog.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
TineSeign

Queen know walk even if we spell it. We have to say W. Hell, we cannot even move a leash without causes a stir. We cannot say or spell car, ride, or even make the driving motion.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
Roker

Gypsy can spell "t-r-e-a-t" and "c-o-o-k-i-e"

Old 04-21-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
BruceQW

We can't say Walk in our house or spell it so we say W but I think he's caught on to that one also. So no I don't know what to say have the time.Odie also knows park so I think spelling that is our newest one till he learns that one.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
23InetrySypekek

I spell certain words and now I am afraid! Ike and Rita haven't figured out the spellings yet, but I bet they will someday. I have to spell bath and crate as they hate those things and will go into evasive maneuvers. I have to spell walk, outside and potty to be able to use those words without a dog reacting by going to the door and usually plowing through me to get there first.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
egershna

My dogs usually react about half way through spelling the words. I think I'm giving it away, but haven't figured out how yet.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
AnimeThat

Ruby can't spell but she came running the other night when we were watching a show and someone had stolen a ruby (gem) and said the word. I was like did you call her bf was like no did you? Oh it was the TV...We can't say Ok in the house either or whatever command has last been given is now released (usually bed or settle down).

Old 04-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #8
Jellowstrom

Ruby can't spell but she came running the other night when we were watching a show and someone had stolen a ruby (gem) and said the word. I was like did you call her bf was like no did you? Oh it was the TV...We can't say Ok in the house either or whatever command has last been given is now released (usually bed or settle down).
lol, MJ hates if the Spiderman movies are on... She'll put her ears back all sorts of annoyed and look at me like "they aren't going to pet me or feed me something, why do they keep saying my @$#%&* name?!"

Old 04-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #9
oxixernibioge

Mine know car and cookies.

They go nuts as well if I get the leashes out for their walk.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #10
gZAhTyWY

Yeah every time we are out somewhere and they see some idiot letting their dog run off leash they scratch out dumbass owner in the dirt! LOL

Old 04-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #11
TeveVikep

Yeah every time we are out somewhere and they see some idiot letting their dog run off leash they scratch out dumbass owner in the dirt! LOL
LOLOLmao

Old 04-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #12
AnimeThat

First coffee spill of the day goes to you! LOL!

Old 04-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #13
yatrahnualenu

Are you guys for serious?? That is probably the most thing I've ever heard. How did they pick that up?

Old 04-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #14
AnimeThat

I don't actually spell out words around my dogs but I used to around my parrots and they always knew what I was saying.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
SQiTmhuY

You spell words in front of your dog so he won't know what you're saying!!

Uh, yeah, we do the same thing.

We have to spell.... ride, go, car, cat, bird, the word "see", look, cow, cheese.

Mollie knows every single one of those words, along with the phrase, "you see 'em?" thanks to my daughters ex boyfriend, who got Mollie for her. He taught her that, along with pointing his finger to something, anything, nothing. So now, we can't point at anything, or she goes nuts.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #16
OlegSan

LMAO.
we used to have to spell b-a-t-h backwards.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #17
Fdmnrnba

I've done that.. Walk, Car, Out.. Horrible words.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:45 AM   #18
Frierlovene

LMAO.
we used to have to spell b-a-t-h backwards.
I will have to try that!! We can only speak of the bath in hushed tones...I usually take V. out to potty while my husband hooks up the hand held shower nozzle (otherwise she'd hear it and know what he was doing and take to her crate like Gandhi demonstrating the art of peaceful resistance). Then I walk her past the bathroom and sort of ambush her and push her inside. Come to think of it...I hope she doesn't develop a fear of pottying...

dogs are too damn smart.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:08 AM   #19
BuyNetHosting

That's funny, my husband and I were talking about this very thing this evening. We always have to spell w-a-l-k and she is picking up on that. She also knows when she is going in the car. If I mention putting her in the car even to someone on the phone she will drag me out the door to the car ( after sitting at the door as per command) If she sees me putting the towel across the car seats she KNOWS she is going to go. And the funny thing is once she gets in the car she has a look of dread and " are we there yet?" she does not enjoy the ride at all.

Reply to Thread New Thread