LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
themsrsdude

Default The perfect walker
Hey. My dog is 9 and a half months old now, and is an excellent walker. She will not "pull" on the leash unless she needs to eliminate or sees another dog (she loves to play).

But she does walk in front of me until she hears the first chain link click and will back up until there is slack. Then she will repeat and repeat and repeat.

I am lucky that she is a good walker, but I want her to be the PERFECT walker - Ie directly at my side (not moving forward and back) the entire time. I'm fine with her pulling when she needs to eliminate but I like to set the bar high and want the perfect leash dog.

Just wondering if any of you have such a dog and how you trained them to be that way.

Right now I am trying the ol leash around the waist manoeuvre and am having some results after only two sessions (she is a very good learner).

I would like some alternate methods to try as well to keep it interesting for both of us.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:32 AM   #2
emupsMaispubs

Nope! Paddy pulls almost the entire walk and drives us nuts!!! Trying to work on it and may get a new leash to help. Have any pointers??

Old 04-16-2010, 11:03 PM   #3
BCVB9SOc

Our dog Gabriel is almost 8 months old. What really helped us with teaching him to heel was a "prong" collar. I would never use any type of choke collar as they can pinch the skin.

I started him indoors and within a minute or two he was not pulling nearly as hard. I never yank his leash and am very cautious with the prong collar.

In a nutshell it's like having "Power Steering" on the dog. Beth Klein (Educateabull.com) who adopted him to us recommended the prong collar. It has worked out very well.

Another thing she recommended to me (also has worked very well) is a weighted vest. For starters the dog will feel like it has a job to do . . . carrying the weight on his back. And second of all it definitely keeps him from being as jumpy and he's much more focused on walking / hiking.

Hope this helps,

Adam

Old 04-16-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
VowJoyday

Have you done any training with the clicker before? It would be very helpful for teaching this.
Get a clicker, & some treats that she really likes (very tiny pieces, like the size of a pea).
Start in your backyard, off leash (if you have a fence) or on a long line (if you dont have a fence). Ask the dog to sit (hopfully she already knows this) and then YOU move into "heel" position, NOT the dog. Position yourself so she is at your side right where you want her, then C&T (click and treat) Continue doing many repititions of this, rewarding her whenever she in the right position at your side. Once she understands she is being rewarded for being at your side (she doesnt have to sit every time, just as long as she as your side) Then take a tiny step forwards. The second she walks forwards next to you, C&T. Repeat, and start adding more distance (2 steps, 3 steps, 10 ft, across the yard, etc) After she is doing this well in the backyard you can start on the sidewalk. You may have to go back to square one when you go to the sidewalk because she will be excited. Just continue working with the clicker and treats like you did in the backyard, and if she trys to walk in front, simply stop. If she doesnt back up on her own, turn around in a circle guiding her with the leash so that when you are back where you started, she is at your side again. Then repeat as many times as needed until she learns walking in front of you will get her nowhere. You should leave the leash dragging(if you're in the backyard or fenced area) or use a long line for teaching this. You do not want to rely on ANY pressure from the leash, because that is where your problem is. She knows not to pull, but she has to feel the tension on the leash before she knows to ease up. You are teaching her what position you want her to walk in, so that she isnt waiting for the tension on the leash and is responding to your movements instead.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:54 AM   #5
themsrsdude

Have you done any training with the clicker before? It would be very helpful for teaching this.
Get a clicker, & some treats that she really likes (very tiny pieces, like the size of a pea).
Start in your backyard, off leash (if you have a fence) or on a long line (if you dont have a fence). Ask the dog to sit (hopfully she already knows this) and then YOU move into "heel" position, NOT the dog. Position yourself so she is at your side right where you want her, then C&T (click and treat) Continue doing many repititions of this, rewarding her whenever she in the right position at your side. Once she understands she is being rewarded for being at your side (she doesnt have to sit every time, just as long as she as your side) Then take a tiny step forwards. The second she walks forwards next to you, C&T. Repeat, and start adding more distance (2 steps, 3 steps, 10 ft, across the yard, etc) After she is doing this well in the backyard you can start on the sidewalk. You may have to go back to square one when you go to the sidewalk because she will be excited. Just continue working with the clicker and treats like you did in the backyard, and if she trys to walk in front, simply stop. If she doesnt back up on her own, turn around in a circle guiding her with the leash so that when you are back where you started, she is at your side again. Then repeat as many times as needed until she learns walking in front of you will get her nowhere. You should leave the leash dragging(if you're in the backyard or fenced area) or use a long line for teaching this. You do not want to rely on ANY pressure from the leash, because that is where your problem is. She knows not to pull, but she has to feel the tension on the leash before she knows to ease up. You are teaching her what position you want her to walk in, so that she isnt waiting for the tension on the leash and is responding to your movements instead.
This is basically the strat I am doing with the leash around the waist - she is making pretty good progress with this. she know already not to put much tension there and now with the leash around the waist she is getting to stay behind. To reinforce at home I make her walk behind me for at least 15 sec straight before I treat her. She is getting it.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Reply to Thread New Thread