LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-13-2010, 07:06 AM   #1
nizcreare

Some people can not be convinced other wise and the more you try the harder the head seems to get

Old 04-13-2010, 07:07 AM   #2
wmtravelservice

You should give her books on the breed(by books that have accurate facts). You should tell her where in the mouth is there a locking mechanism and to prove you there is one. No animal nor humans have a locking mechanism. It aint possible.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
sniskelsowwef

This study compares human-dog jaw structure but the first paragraph addresses the pit bull.
http://www.glapbta.com/BFBP.pdf

Bite Force and Bite Pressure: Comparisons of Humans and Dogs
T E Houston, PhD (2003)
“Jaws of steel!” “Locking jaws!” “A 2000 pound per square inch bite pressure.”
These are just a few of the plethora of statements describing the dog referred to
as the “pit bull”. The “pit bull” is a term encompassing several breeds, the
American Pit Bull terrier, the American Staffordshire terrier, the Staffordshire
terrier, and the Bull terrier. Other breeds or mixed breeds may be included due
to their physical resemblance to the pit bull. Every year the media hype
continues with a perpetual series of disinformation, myth, and distortions that
bedevil the bull breeds. The media bombards the public after a dog attack
incident perceived to involve one of the bull breeds. Descriptions of the incident
talk about ferocious bite pressures, quoting upwards of 2000 pounds per square
inch (psi). In another article, we read about the “scissors bite”, leading one to
believe this to be some sort of demonic configuration. Are the bull breeds
different? No! The American Pit Bull terrier and all the related bull breeds are
dogs. They are anatomically and physiologically no different from the Labrador
retriever or the poodle. All mammals have the same basic structures of the jaw.
Variations and adaptations are dependent on whether the primary diet isherbivore as with humans or carnivore as with dogs.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
iodillalm

It is just physically impossible. She should ask a vet.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
YTmWSOA5

ask her how it's possible that your dog is able to eat without any problems if their jaws are supposed to lock.

and I don't want to be rude, but I would tell her to STFU and respect my decisions if she cares to stay friends with me. but hey, I'm VERY picky when it comes to the people that are surrounding me

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

I don't need friends that force their believes on me.
I have friends to have a good time with, and friends that are supportive to me.

not some know-it-all friends that will give me more headache than anything else. those are not friends in my book

Old 04-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
Peertantyb

That is such a shame that happened. It certainly does make it difficult to convince people that are uncertain when something like this happens. Darn irresponsible owners! Of course mistakes happen but they should have been all the more diligent with 4 dogs. All bets are off with that many animals involved. I’m just thankful her son-in-law wasn’t injured and hopefully their dog will be ok.

You’ll just have to give her time to calm down and hopefully she won't hold it against your personal dog. The best you can do is to ensure your dog is well behaved around her and perhaps she'll come to her own conclusion that more often the owners are at fault and not the animal.

Plus, another thing I don’t think many people understand is that there is such an overpopulation of pit bull type dogs that whenever there is an incident they’re almost always involved due to the sheer # in existence. I bet, and perhaps there is a study out there, that if the # of pit bull to the # of incidents were compared…they’d look like angels in comparison.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
Duaceanceksm

Well, the idiot neighbor that was letting their dogs run loose didn't help matters at all.

Here's BadRap's Monster Myth page... get her to read this... actually, all the stuff on BadRap's page is great info, and can all be easily read within an hour. She can join here.... but we have such a vast amount of info, she may feel overwhelmed or turned off by it. But if she will join, we'll try to help her understand more about the breed.

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/myths.html

Old 04-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
Buyingtime

You should give her books on the breed(by books that have accurate facts). You should tell her where in the mouth is there a locking mechanism and to prove you there is one. No animal nor humans have a locking mechanism. It aint possible.
if she is that head strong about the sterotype, she wont sit down and read a book......and, uhm.... snakes have a jaw locking mechanism, but it unlocks to swallow prey larger than their head.....just sayin

Old 04-13-2010, 09:52 PM   #9
IvJlNwum

if she is that head strong about the sterotype, she wont sit down and read a book......and, uhm.... snakes have a jaw locking mechanism, but it unlocks to swallow prey larger than their head.....just sayin
Nope. No locking mechanism. They just have a highly mobile lower jaw that is very flexible, and is connected with mainly ligaments (not like our jaw or a dog's jaw that is connected with bone joints). I've owned my snake for 10ish years, and I can say without a doubt I can open his mouth without a key. But seriously, they don't lock.
I think the closest animal to a 'locking' jaw would be a crocodile, but even they have no special mechanism to keep the jaws closed, just a very well designed skull and muscles that have been evolving since the age of the dinosaurs.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:54 PM   #10
Abofedrorobox

When someone tells me they believe that a pit bulls jaws can lock, I begin to question the overall intelligence of that person. I agree with the above poster and I would tell this person to mind their own business. I can not see reasoning with anyone who could believe something that silly.

However, I wish you the best and hope you can convince her otherwise. The print out given above is posted in the clinic I work for and has convinced a lot of people!!

Old 04-14-2010, 03:40 AM   #11
Dndjzirw

The motto of stupid people: "don't confuse me with the facts. My mind's already made up." Sadly this is the thinking of ALOT of people. I wish people would just freaking LISTEN! I say just try your best to educate her, then if that doesn't work, then I guess tell her to STHU, and handle it. I myself am having problems with stupid people. And THEY ARE THE OWNERS! Pit mix, chained up most her life(10yrs), sweet dog, been training her for awhile, and they STILL think she's dangerous! "She'll maul all the neighborhood children, she'll attack me in my sleep." Yada Yada Yada. I'm trying to convince them she's not dangerous so i can adopt the girl. Sad that a pitbull OWNER would be so ignorant and stupid. At least you have your pet, and you know how great she is. But it can be very frustrating. So if it makes you feel any better, you're not the only one out there! Good luck!

Old 12-05-2010, 06:35 AM   #12
Hinigyday

Default I don't know what to say! Help
We have a family member, who although she has met Josey and likes her, has the stereotype of a Pit Bull or Pit Bull Mix strongly in her head.
This thinking has now been intensified after her son-in-law was walking his two dogs (a beagle and a hound type mix) in their neighborhood. All of a sudden 4 neighbor dogs came running from their garage and of course the "Pit Bull mix" clamped down on the hound type mix dog. The son-in-law has been around dogs all his life and even putting his hand in the dogs mouth could not get him to release until he punched him in the face. The owner at that time came out and was apologizing. I'm not sure of the outcome but there were reports to the Sheriffs and AC came out to investigate.
My Sister-in-Law is convinced that the pit bull mix dog's jaws locked, and she is so upset that we would have picked this kind of dog for our pet. I have tried to educate her as to what I have learned about the breed - especially that according to experts the jaw does not lock. I have told her that they can become animal aggressive and of course that people should have had their dogs contained. She is convinced that Josey could turn on us at any time and is just very angry at this time.
I guess there isn't much else I can say to her, but though I would ask.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #13
mbaueee

You could print out the myth fact sheets to show her.

Reply to Thread New Thread