LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 06-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #21
natahololll

I have a question to add.

My dog is 10 weeks old. He used to nipping me and my family (3 people) all the time when he first got him at 5 weeks, but now he has gotten used to us and I have also trained him. Basically he knows the ground rules. He loves playing with my 2 year old kid and loves for my girl to rub him down. I take him to the dog park all the time and he loves playing with bigger dogs. He has gotten into it with some doors, but he never causes the problem. I guess the bigger dogs pick on him and he doesn't back down. Hes very game. He doesn't nip us at all anymore. A week ago though I had a problem with a slip chain....I just couldn't take it off. I tried pushing his head into the collar (while he was trying to get away) and he bit my right hand..hard and broke the skin. He let go asap. Since then he has been the same old him. I have read about fear biting and I think I caused it to happen.

Am I right to think so? Would you classify that as fear biting or aggressiveness? And if it is fear biting does that basically mean that if I or a member of my family does something that makes him uncomfortable in the future we will get bit?

Sorry for the long message.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #22
iodillalm

You probably hurt him bad. I wouldn't worry too much.
No slip collars on puppies though!

Old 06-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #23
natahololll

You probably hurt him bad. I wouldn't worry too much.
No slip collars on puppies though!
Yeah I know. They say most dog bites are caused by unknowing owners....I just I was one of them. I noticed he wasn't feeling good about it, but I continued. I'm glad that I know now.

And yeah I'm never getting a slip collar again. Only collar I'm getting from here on out is a prong collar when he gets big enough.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #24
Seerseraxlils

My dog is 10 weeks old. He used to nipping me and my family (3 people) all the time when he first got him at 5 weeks, but now he has gotten used to us and I have also trained him. Basically he knows the ground rules. He loves playing with my 2 year old kid and loves for my girl to rub him down. I take him to the dog park all the time and he loves playing with bigger dogs. He has gotten into it with some doors, but he never causes the problem. I guess the bigger dogs pick on him and he doesn't back down. Hes very game. He doesn't nip us at all anymore. A week ago though I had a problem with a slip chain....I just couldn't take it off. I tried pushing his head into the collar (while he was trying to get away) and he bit my right hand..hard and broke the skin. He let go asap. Since then he has been the same old him. I have read about fear biting and I think I caused it to happen.

Am I right to think so? Would you classify that as fear biting or aggressiveness? And if it is fear biting does that basically mean that if I or a member of my family does something that makes him uncomfortable in the future we will get bit?

You probably hurt him. He is also a puppy, I wouldn't worry too much with a puppy as you can still mold them. But if that continues when he is older, that is not acceptable.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #25
Deribasov

okay I'm going to be honest, my dogs are some what aggressive towards people and they aren't crazy about other dogs either.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #26
Zdfjpbth

okay I'm going to be honest, my dogs are some what aggressive towards people and they aren't crazy about other dogs either.
At least you're honest.

Just keep them contained, and under control.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #27
IvJlNwum

Ok, I'm going to ask the obvious question- why are you taking your 'pit bull' to a dog park, especially if it is 'game'? That's a recipe for disaster.
Also, getting your puppy at 5 weeks means he didn't have time to adequately gain socialization and bite-inhibition skills from it's litter mates and mother. He's going to take a little more work in both areas.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:50 PM   #28
mrPronmaker

Very Protective AmBully

Old 06-05-2010, 05:46 AM   #29
gusunsuth

It depends on who you ask.

If you ask me, my friends or my boyfriend, our dogs are amazing.

If you ask our neighbors, they are evil and aggressive. I think it's because they play rough (Lucy makes sounds that seem like they should be coming out of a demon), and when someone walks by they rush the fence barking.

Lucy (APBT)- very friendly with other dogs, small animals (except birds and squirrels), kids and people (she's wary of the occasional person). Will act aggressively if she's defending herself. She'll pin a dog that shows it's teeth to her until I pull her away (no blood). She barks at strange, large men when she first meets them, but makes friends with them quickly.

Ethel (St Bernard)- A big lovey ball of hair. She's protective of me, the cat, the ferrets and the other dogs in the house. She's aloof most of the time with other dogs, but if play gets too rough for her liking (Lucy's usually the culprit), she pulls the offending dog away or uses herself as a wall between the dogs. No real signs of aggression. (Even though I keep hearing that Saints are "aggressive" breeds)

Damascus (Rottie)- He's still growing and needs to be neutered. A neighbor's off leash collie mix went after him when he went to sniff the person's small dog, but that's the only aggression I've seen so far. That and he stiffened up and started growling and barking at some guy we saw on a walk a week ago, but that just seems like guarding instinct to me. He likes all people, dogs and small animals. I just keep him away from unaltered males.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:55 AM   #30
fuesquemill

Lets see.....

Arez is eleven (bull and terrier type dog) and LOVES ALL, and I mean ALL people. She's pretty good with other animals. She won't start a fight, but she will gladly participate. Good with the cats. Whines at the bunnies so I don't really trust her. lol

Tank is eleven (bull and terrier type dog), and like Arez LOVES ALL people. He's awesome with animals he knows, but anything strange is prey and for ''getting''. Good with his resident cats but has and will kill strange cats. He's still whining at the bunnies, too. lol

Scarling is two (ABDA registered APBT)... and she's sketchy with pretty well everything EXCEPT the other dogs. Go figure. Scared of the bunnies, ok with the cats, wants to play sometimes, scared sometimes and other times I can see she could be prey driven towards them. She SCREAMS when she sees dogs out and about but I don't let her meet any so I don't know what she'd do. So far zero dog aggression with any of the resident dogs. People... well, she's ok with me and the kids, but since she's coming into maturity she's pretty snakey, especially with men. I wouldn't quite call it aggressive, but sketchy with the potential for fear aggression for sure. Chances are, unless she has some miraculous turn about in the next month or two, she'll be pushing up daisies by the summer.

Deeohgee whose about five (purchased as a byb Am Staff originally before coming into rescue but not really sure what she is) is not good with other animals in general. There are some animals she likes, but even with them she goes from 0 to 100 with a snap of a finger so I don't test her limits for the safety of the other animals she's around, and for herself as well, as she's got a bad back leg. As far as people, she LOVES anyone that comes to the house, but out and about, she's pretty scared of people. Scared, but not aggressive. She wants to be friends but it usually results in her belly crawling, pissing herself, etc.... I'm just very careful not to put her in situations beyond her ability to handle them.

CoCo (rescue but looks like an am staff IMO)... she does well with Tank but I can see her easily being inspired into a scuffle with the girls. She does display some food aggression with other animals. Minus the food issue she's been good with the cats and bunnies. So far so good with people. She seems pretty rock solid but we've only had her a few months so time will tell.

They are ALL good with my kids, or they wouldn't be in my house. That is one area where I will not bend. Rock solid with Raven and Daemon or not a part of the crew.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:57 AM   #31
mrPronmaker

They are ALL good with my kids, or they wouldn't be in my house. That is one area where I will not bend. Rock solid with Raven and Daemon or not a part of the crew. i wish we had more people out there that think like you in this breed.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:00 AM   #32
fuesquemill

Well, the way I look at it, NO dog is worth the safety of my children. They are in our life to enhance it, not endanger it.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:08 AM   #33
mrPronmaker

^^^^i feel same the way. safety of children should always come first.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #34
YTmWSOA5

JRT bitch:
not really aggressive but the mailman/cops/delivery guy (everything in uniform) are all free game for her in her demon little mind lmao
other then that, she LOVES people and kids...

Beagle bitch:
very sweet dog that loves everyone she meets on neutral ground.
she gets quite growly and starts barking when someone comes over but calms down as soon as you show her a cookie or some belly rubs, give her one of those and you'll be loved by her lol

APBT male:
has yet to show any aggression...
the only time he barks is when the dryer starts, it makes an annoying squeaking sound lol
everyone is his new best friend

Old 08-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #35
natahololll

Ok, I'm going to ask the obvious question- why are you taking your 'pit bull' to a dog park, especially if it is 'game'? That's a recipe for disaster.
Also, getting your puppy at 5 weeks means he didn't have time to adequately gain socialization and bite-inhibition skills from it's litter mates and mother. He's going to take a little more work in both areas.
I got him at 5 weeks so thats exactly why I do take him to the dog park to socialize with other dogs. My pit bull does great with other dogs. He plays around with big and small dogs just fine. And he doesn't nip my family at all anymore. Took him about 2 weeks to learn.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #36
fedelwfget

I got him at 5 weeks so thats exactly why I do take him to the dog park to socialize with other dogs. My pit bull does great with other dogs. He plays around with big and small dogs just fine. And he doesn't nip my family at all anymore. Took him about 2 weeks to learn.
he plays now because he is very young.....watch his behavior as he grows around otha dogs....u neva know when dat switch will be turned on if eva.....my male champ played with my friends am bully for almost a year then one day he came ova and champ tried to kill him immeadiately...just be careful

Old 08-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #37
Ladbarbastirm

wow....I thought I already posted on here I guess I did not ok here ya go

Goren = 1 year old full of energy, not HA at all, protects the yard from quirls and is territorial, does not bark at kids or anyone that passes by (without a dog) but if they stop infront of him he will bark even if its across the street. (does not bark at people I tell him not to like the neighbors) he is reactive, never been in a fight or anything, has never bit anyone (accept me when he was 14 weeks old on day 1 and he really did not bite, rather he was scared and caught me with his milk tooth k-9 and that passed through my skin like butter)

Doobie= 10 year old disabled terrier(might have beagle or douchson in him we think), in general very social dog, but if provoked and annoyed will bite, would not be good with kids, if you touch his bad ear he will yelp LOUD!, he has been in 3 pit bull fights in his 10 years, all in the same neighborhood all payed for by the loose pit bull's owner, 2 times the dogs jumped fence the other time it was just loose and being chased by owner, 1 outa 3 times I think Doobie was loose (he is an escape artised to the extreme and my fiance's grandpa's house has lots of activity and people left the gate open), but anyhow he has no ill effects torwards dogs of any kind. He is territorial and if a visitor came in and he did not know he would bark then bite eventually if ignored if we are not home.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #38
gusunsuth

I forgot to add this. Lucy HATES cops. Me and the bf got pulled over cause the bf was speeding. We had Lucy in the back seat. As soon as the cop started to get out of his car, she FLIPPED. Growling, barking, whining. Thankfully the cop didn't mind too much, might have been because I was holding her collar and telling her to shut up the whole time.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #39
Hedkffiz

Zoe( 'pit bull') is the sweeties dog I have ever had. She loves other dogs and wants to play with every dog she sees. However, some dogs aren't as nice as she is so we have to careful of other dogs.The only time she acts out is when I pet Mugs and not her. she will bark,growel (playful not mean) and nip at me. She doesn't hurt and i'll tell her 'no bite Zoe' and she stops. She is kinda ADHD(lol) so a few minute later she does it agin and I say 'no bite Zoe' she will stop for a minute and do agin. I think she is jealous and she thinks it is a game. When new people come over she is kinda shy and standoffish until she gets to know them.Then she is fine. The only time Mugs Boston Terrier is aggressive is when he thinks someone is gonna hurt me or if ther is any kind of ppl fight. He wants to join in. So we have to make sure arrguments don't turn into anything other than that. He is not dog aggressive. He does get upset with Zoe sometime. She wants to play and he don't but nothing serious.He knows we don't like that. Oh and there was this one time when a pit bull came after him (that story is posted in another thread).

Old 08-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #40
Duaceanceksm

Out of my 6 dogs, none are human aggressive. My son's ex g/f that just took her dog back to her moms house, her dog was extremely human aggressive and bite me 5 times in the 5 months that he was at our house.

Mollie... some DA, no human aggression, but she is cautious when people come in our house. Once she knows it's ok for them to be there, she wants to sit in their lap.

Bella... loves everyone, dog or human... I think she's ok with cats, except Cross.... but he instigates everything and she just tries to play with him. It's always Cross that is attacking her.

Maxx... doesn't care for strange dogs, but never shown any aggression, just barks when dogs come into our yard. He isn't HA, but no human would ever be able to get their hands on him. He barks and runs from people he doesn't know. I don't think a stranger has ever been able to pet him, unless they stuck around until they weren't strangers any more.

Titus... no HA, but does have some DA issues, mainly with Mollie. But he has jumped on Zoey a couple of times, I think mainly when she's chasing him and biting his tail.

Zoey... loves everyone. Has never shown any HA or DA signs.

Gizzmo... No HA, but he has been known to snap in your direction if you try to pick him up wrong. He's never bitten anyone, just gets riled up if someone tries to pick him up a weird way. No DA, but then again, he's too little to have much DA.

Reply to Thread New Thread