LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
Chito

Default bath time sucks
Cooper is now 13 weeks and when he was 6 to 10 weeks he liked to take baths. Now he cant stand it what happened ? There was no bad experience with it he just started to get scared of running water. We will be moving to a bigger House and it has a pool and we also live next to a lake that he could swim in if he wasnt afraid. I dont want to make it worse i would love it if he would swim with me is ther anyway to train him not to be scared ?

Old 10-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
9Goarveboofe

I dont know.. my dogs.. tinkerbell was always scared of water until here recently.. shes 3 yrs old.. spinner is still new to us though.. my suggestion is before its gets too bad.. start treating him throughout the bath.. make it a fun adventure for him - he gets in tub - he gets a treat.. he gets wet - he gets a treat.. he gets washed and rinsed - he gets a treat.. after toweling - give him one more treat.. it will make him want baths once he learns baths= treats. (just an idea)

Old 10-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
mbaueee

My dogs love to swim, but they hate taking baths. I have to fight with all of them to get in the tub.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
eXC3Kvnn

I don't have an issue with bathtime with my female, she hears the water and climbs right in. Now with my boy when I even attempt to get him in the bathroom he pees everywhere and runs away. I have even tried treats and he won't go anywhere close to them.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
streMunford

Odie loves baths! He loves to play with the house on hot days and get sprayed. Sometimes baths require me in the tub depending on his mood but he knows that it's for his own good.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
zzbust

All i've got to say is work on it now while he is still relatively small. My pit, jillybean is great. Gets in the tub when I tell her to and stands there nicely while she gets washed. I'm always talking about my fearful doberman on here. He is such a sweet boy, but I did not spend enough time touching him all over when he was a baby. We didn't get him out of the shelter until he was 4 months old and then I was just busy, busy with my kids, other animals, you know how it goes. How I regret that! Now he is afraid of baths, having his toenails cut, ears cleaned the skin tag on his belly inspected, whatever! and he is a huge big boy and his nervousness could become dangerous one day. Before your boy becomes too much for you to handle I would put him in the tub every day, maybe several times a day and give him treats. Turn on the water, give him treats. Give him an actual bath every few day, give him treats. It's got to get better for you when he realizes that it's going to pay off for him. Handle him a lot and give him treats! Good luck!

Old 10-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
Roneyslelry

Cleo loves baths and swimming if she is in the mood for it!!

Old 10-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #8
Ladbarbastirm

your pup might be in a fear stage where they are afraid of almost anything, my boy likes to swim and does not like baths lol he does not fight it but you can look on his face he has that as my fiance said last night "help me daddy" look, If you don't let them out and go slow and calm and use warm water you should be able to have the pup tolerate the bath as it gets bigger I hope anyhow, it worked for me.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:38 AM   #9
gusunsuth

Lucy HATES bath time, as well as swimming. When it's bath time, she backs up until her feet are on the back ledge of the tub. She knows if she jumps out though, mom's gonna holler. But she stays in the tub now because she knows she'll get lots of treats and extra cuddling.

High value treats. Cheese, meat. Things they'll ALWAYS want to eat. That's how I got my Saint Bernard to tolerate bath time. She doesn't like it, but she'll get in the tub as soon as I take her in the bathroom, and stand there while I bathe her. She tries to escape towards the end though.

I don't expect my dogs to like getting a bath, but I do expect them to tolerate it (they'd rather have a 10-15 minute bath with warm water, than an hour and a half with the last hour of cold water). Lucky for them I only do a seasonal bath, more if they get really gross.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #10
StitsVobsaith

Veronica hates baths. She acts like she's being dragged off to a torture chamber.

*warning: video contains copious images of naked feet. Hopefully this in not a "bannable" offense.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snkmhdHqKTo"]YouTube- The Bath re-visited.[/ame]

Old 12-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #11
CIAFreeAgent

Agnes is six months old and hates all water. She freaks out when we bathe her, hates going out in the rain, and makes sure to jump over puddles to avoid getting wet. She has improved somewhat though because at first she would not even go outside to relieve herself if it was raining. Now she will do that much at least.

We're trying to acclimatize her to water. She will drink from the hose now and doesn't freak out when it drips on her a bit. I'm wondering if it's related to the fact that her foster mother used a spray bottle to discipline her.

Reply to Thread New Thread