LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 06-04-2010, 11:39 PM   #1
Loolasant

Default I don't know what to do, adopting a second dog
For the last month I have been going back and forth about getting another dog. I have 5 days off in May so if I was going to adopt I think the best time would be then, since I would be there to see how things go. My dog isn't particularly DA, but there are dogs she has met that she just didn't like for whatever reason. There have also been dogs she has loved. I would be taking her to the MSPCA with me and choosing a dog based on her interaction with them.

I have always wanted as many dogs as I could handle, and I really would like to adopt another one and give it a great life. I just worry I will be really stressed about them fighting, and that crating and rotating will be too much too handle. As it is my dog can basically go anywhere in the house she wants, and I would feel bad taking those privelages away. I mostly worry that she wouldn't be as happy if I got a second dog, and as bad as it sounds she is my baby lol.

Any thoughts or feedback would be helpful!

Old 06-05-2010, 12:02 AM   #2
interbaoui

If you don't want to change things now, best not to get another dog. Taking your current dog to meet others is a very good idea. At least you will know they are ok in neutral surroundings. Things can be different when they are around home and their favourite spot on the chair or chewing on their preferred toy. Food/water would also be potential flash points. You would need to be prepared to possibly crate and rotate if the need was to arise. If its something you are not willing to do (and it is a pain in the jacksy) then I would say make the most of your one dog. You can't save them all. Sometimes the best you can do is do the absolute best you can for your present dog and be happy that you give them the best life you can.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
iodillalm

When you are meeting another dog-
Do NOT put both dogs on leashes and have them meet nose to nose. That is a challenge pose, and leash aggression is likely.

Have someone else handle the other dog. Take both dogs for a good walk. Give them rewards through the walk, let them sniff where the other has pees, but don't let them meet until the end of the walk if they are acting calm with each other. Walking in the same direvction indicates to dogs that they should be pack members, and gives you a better chance at a successful meeting.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
ådrrraj

Have many bully breed dogs have you owned? Have you ever owned two at once?

I love having two, but honestly, if one goes, I doubt I'll replace them. Its just so much more work then one.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
Zdfjpbth

You've gotten some great advice. Like Dee said, NEVER let them meet on leash, nose to nose. Trust me. It will ruin any connection that may have been made.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:06 AM   #6
Trientoriciom

How old is your dog and how long have you had her/him? Sounds like you could handle another one and it is important to select based on the interaction between the dogs. I absolutely love having 2, enjoy them both, enjoy their interaction, and will have 2 from now on.

I would consider crating one at a time and rotating the crating so that they can both enjoy the house, or give them separate rooms.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
iodillalm

if the dogs get along well when supervised, why crate and rotate?
many bully breeds won't fight (if they have decent training and a competent pack leader) if the humans are around... so just don't leave them together.

crate and rotate (i believe) should be a last resort for managing two dogs that will fight if given the chance, even if the humans are home.

i'm not a big fan of crating though, i prefer my dogs to be in the kennel runs outside or chained when i am not supervising them.

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

i meant don't leave them together unattended...

Old 08-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
monologue

I haven't read all the replies, but based on this:

I just worry ... that crating and rotating will be too much too handle. As it is my dog can basically go anywhere in the house she wants, and I would feel bad taking those privelages away.
I would highly suggest against you getting a second dog. If you have a bully breed and add an additional member to the family then crating and rotating is always a possibility. If that's not something you see yourself being able to do, then that's fine. Just stick with one dog at a time.

Crating and rotating is not a bad thing-if you don't make it one. Restricting your dogs access to the house isn't a bad thing either-since they sleep most of the day when you're gone anyways.

There are other ways you can have an impact on dogs lives. Volunteer at the shelter, help out at a rescue...get into some training or shows.

Also something I'd like to point out-just because you bring your dog in and she gets along with a dog there-doesn't mean she always will. You don't like everyone in your life every second of every day right? Not fair to request that of your dog(s) either.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
ketNavatutt

Have you thought about fostering a dog for a shelter?

Old 08-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
Duaceanceksm

You could definitely check on fostering and see how that goes. No one knows your situation or how your dog will respond better than you.

However, that being said... I also have to admit that I have 6 dogs (had 7 but my son and his g/f broke up, so her dog is gone now). I only have 2 'pit bull' type dogs. Don't know their heritage, so they most likely are not full blooded. I also have 2 Lab mixes, a Shepherd mix and a Shih Tzu. Mollie has always had full run of the house, so when we adopted Bella, we started her out crating her during the day when we leave the house. Since that's all she's known at our house, she's adapted fine. Mollie still has full run of the house during the day, not that it matters being as she spends the whole day on my bed and I usually have to go wake her up when I get home.

The Labs and Shepherd are really outside dogs, but they have been coming in and crated when no one is home for over a year now. I have a few unsavory neighbors and I don't like leaving the dogs outside when no one is home. My son takes care of the Shih Tzu and he stays in his room exclusively here lately.

Crate and rotate isn't as hard as everyone usually thinks it is. Once you get the hang of it, it's just normal life. I have to make sure Titus is crated before Mollie goes outside, and make sure she is blocked from the room before I let Titus back out, being as they do not get along and will fight if they get around each other. But as far as crating Bella when I leave, it's not a problem. Actually, it's comforting because I know Bella is safe, and I know my house is safe from Bella. I give her a peanut butter, banana & kibble filled frozen stuffed Kong or bone, and she's happy as a clam.

Regardless of if you foster or adopt a new addition, you do need to invest in a Break Stick. Anyone that owns this breed really needs to have one. It's the only sure fire way to break up a fight quickly and effectively. Pit Bull Rescue Central has really nice ones and information on how to use them correctly. Here's a link to their site:

http://www.pbrc.net/breaksticks.html

Hope this helps some.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:02 AM   #11
BlackBird

Just thought I would share what we did. We have a pointer/pit female that we got from the shelter a little over a year ago. She has settled in so nicely we decided to adopt another dog. Since we already had her, we decided to adopt from a rescue (shout out to Villa Lobos Pitbull Rescue) because they assess their dogs and really know which of their dogs might fit with ours. They were extremely patient and we introduced 4 different dogs to ours. We would start simply walking together, then little by little allow sniffing, carefully monitoring body language. The gal that runs the rescue is incredibly knowledgeable and very willing to take the time to find the right match for us. We found a wonderful little dude, and we were allowed to have him for a couple of days to make sure all went well. And it did! We have separate kennels in our backyard for when no one is home, but other than that they are hanging out with us. They get lots of walks and playtime, so when they're chillin they are pretty tired!
Just wanted to share my own experience and wish you well on finding a good match for your doggie!

Old 09-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #12
Vegeinvalge

I concur. 2 have 10x more wildness than 1 at my place. I wouldnt choose to have more than 1 until such time as I have a large yard for them to be wild in...instead of a 12x12 living room.

Have many bully breed dogs have you owned? Have you ever owned two at once?

I love having two, but honestly, if one goes, I doubt I'll replace them. Its just so much more work then one.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #13
zzarratusstra

2 is a lot of fun, but also a lot more work.

Reply to Thread New Thread