LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 01-05-2010, 05:14 AM   #1
AntonioMQ

Default Marylanders- Patapsco State Park?
I live about 5 minutes from Patapsco State Park in Catonsville, and was looking at the site to see if they allowed dogs, but I couldn't figure it out. They didn't have a clear map of the different areas that do or don't, just the names, which isn't helpful.
It would be a really convenient place to take Lily. Does anyone know what parts of the park allow dogs? I'm close to the one off Hilton Ave, but could also get to the entrance off 40 no problem.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
Karinochka

I would just call the park office and ask if they allow dogs,and if any of the areas are restricted. Thats your best bet.In pa,most State Parks allow dogs on the trails and certain areas of the parks.Other areas are either restricted,or dogs must be under control at all times on a specific leash size(example:6ft leash)

Old 02-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
jamemeveRhype

dogs are only allowed in the "undeveloped" area of the park. you can't drive in with your dog via route 40 or the other regular parking areas, but there are a few great places you can go that aren't main entrances to the park.

right near UMBC there's an entrance by 195. i think it's on rolling road. it's a dirt pull off on the side of the road where you can park your car, and in the nice weather you'll see tons of mountain bikers parked there. you can hike trails from there, and you can get to the river and stuff.

the other place that i go a lot is the daniels dam area--it's a cool spot in ellicott cityish. take route 40 west all the way out by normandy shopping center, take a right onto rogers ave, then a right onto old frederick road when you get to the little traffic circle. then keep your eyes open for daniels ave. on your left. turn onto daniels and take it all the way down the hill, and at the bottom you'll see one small parking area on your left and if you turn around the corner to the right, you'll see more parking. there's a dam right there, trails to the right by the river sort of dead end. but if you go left, up above the dam there's a huge service road you can hike along the river and there are trails up into the woods off that road as well.

have fun!

Old 02-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
85IbLcwQ

I go all over that park with my dogs and Ive never had an issue.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:37 AM   #5
AntonioMQ

dogs are only allowed in the "undeveloped" area of the park. you can't drive in with your dog via route 40 or the other regular parking areas, but there are a few great places you can go that aren't main entrances to the park.

right near UMBC there's an entrance by 195. i think it's on rolling road. it's a dirt pull off on the side of the road where you can park your car, and in the nice weather you'll see tons of mountain bikers parked there. you can hike trails from there, and you can get to the river and stuff.

the other place that i go a lot is the daniels dam area--it's a cool spot in ellicott cityish. take route 40 west all the way out by normandy shopping center, take a right onto rogers ave, then a right onto old frederick road when you get to the little traffic circle. then keep your eyes open for daniels ave. on your left. turn onto daniels and take it all the way down the hill, and at the bottom you'll see one small parking area on your left and if you turn around the corner to the right, you'll see more parking. there's a dam right there, trails to the right by the river sort of dead end. but if you go left, up above the dam there's a huge service road you can hike along the river and there are trails up into the woods off that road as well.

have fun!
Ok, found that daniels rd place on a map. I'll take a drive over there this weekend a check it out. I'll also check out the one near UMBC. Thanks for the help!

Old 03-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
jamemeveRhype

I go all over that park with my dogs and Ive never had an issue.
I've never had an issue either, but I try to respect the fact that the dogs are prohibited in some areas--especially since they have signs posted wherever they aren't allowed, so I don't like to tempt people to complain about the person with the pit bulls in the no dogs allowed area.

Here's the portion of the DNR's Patapsco site that lists the areas they don't allow dogs:

PETS ARE PROHIBITED in the Avalon, Orange Grove, Glen Artney, Hilton, Hollofield, Pickall and McKeldin day-use areas, as well as the Hilton campground. Pets are permitted in all areas of the Hollofield campground. Please help us maintain the sanitation of these areas by avoiding trails that pass through them. The section of the Grist Mill Trail between Illchester Bridge and the Orange Grove Swinging Bridge is not considered part of the Avalon/Glen Artney day-use area, therefore, pets are permitted on that section of the Grist Mill Trail. However, on the section of the Grist Mill Trail from Orange Grove to the Lost Lake Area in Glen Artney is considered to be day use and pets are not allowed on this section of the trail. On the Soapstone Trail which begins at Route 166 and travels through the Glen Artney day-use area pets owners must turn around before entering the day-use area in Glen Artney.

PETS ARE WELCOME throughout the remainder of the park, but they MUST BE LEASHED at all times. For the safety of your pet, other visitors and the park's wildlife, please comply with the park's requirement that all pets remain on a leash. Thank you!

Old 05-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
85IbLcwQ

This should clear it right up for you. As I stated, they are pretty much allowed everywhere on the paths and trails. There is only one area where they are not allowed, please see attached.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
AntonioMQ

Well, according to that, we can go to Hilton, so that's what we're going to try. We're off, so I'll let you know how it goes when we come back.

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Success!!! We just got home, Lily's exhausted, and so am I . I didn't see any signs that said no dogs, just no horses, so we went on our merry way and had a great time. I'll post pictures in the photo section in a bit.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
85IbLcwQ

VERY Cool!! Im so glad I you enjoyed yourself. I take mine there a lot too and they just love it!

Old 05-04-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
jamemeveRhype

wow, new policy on pets at the state parks--that's fantastic!

ever since i moved to this state, i've been frustrated at how restrictive the state parks were about dogs.

now if only they'd update the sites for the parks, so people know about this . . .

Old 05-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
AntonioMQ

wow, new policy on pets at the state parks--that's fantastic!

ever since i moved to this state, i've been frustrated at how restrictive the state parks were about dogs.

now if only they'd update the sites for the parks, so people know about this . . .
Or we can just keep it a secret so we can walk the trails without being bombarded by a ton of off-leash dogs. Just a thought.
I only saw 1 dog there, a backpacking malamute. It was gorgeous, but I wouldn't take my malamute backpacking when it's 80 degrees outside.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #12
jamemeveRhype

i always see dogs when i go. probably just hitting the high points since i can pretty much only get there on weekends.

but i've been lucky only have encountered one off-leash dog in the past 7 years . . . so that makes me happy!

Reply to Thread New Thread