LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-15-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
radicalvolume

Default Supplemental (Dog bite) Insurance
My home owner's insurance recently changed it's policy to reflect that so-called "dangerous" breeds would only be covered for a maximum of $25,000.00 in the event of a dog-bite incident. And of course that includes the usual suspects: APBTs, Amstaffs, Chows, Dobermans, & Rottweilers. The insurance used to cover the maximum cost of any occurance.

In the way of background, my APBT Reina is three years old, and while somewhat animal cautious (not quite aggressive, but wary), she has never shown any indication of human aggressive behavior. I have raised her from a puppy, taken her to obedience training, and have ensured that she is consistently socialized. Her sire and dam are in my ex-husband's charge and both have been constantly socialized and have always displayed the highest degree of tolerance, friendliness, and of being amenable to people and animals. I say all that to say that, while I am conscious of the potential of a dog bite incident (as any dog is capable), it's hard for me to imagine that Reina would arbitrarily bite someone. But, then again, because she's an American Pit Bull Terrier, she's guilty until proven innocent . And in the litigious society that we live in I would rather err on the side of caution.

So, my question is, are there any stand-alone insurance companies that anyone would recommend as a supplement to my home owner's policy? I googled but the pickings were slim. If anyone has had favorable results with a particlar company that I could research, I would be most appreciative.

By the way, I reside in Texas if that makes a difference. Thanks.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
intisgunkas

I don't know of any supplemental policies, but I'd be looking for a new company for my home owner's policy. I have Farmer's and the only thing they asked was if any of the dogs had ever bitten someone. For the policy I have $50,000 was standard, but I upped it to $100,000 and the cost was an additional $25.00 per year. I raised the amount because we have a pet bull, and I figured it wasn't quite enough if he got out of his fence.

Reply to Thread New Thread