LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
estelle

Default Curious of my Puppy
So I got this puppy at the pound, cutest little thing, and they told me she was a rottie cross- I did NOT get her for the breed, I adopted her because she is a special needs dog and just stole my heart when I saw her on the online listings. She was so small when I first got her, her paws were tiny and she had the markings of a Rottweiler- but where the brown usually is, it is brindle, and she has a white trail from her chin to her chest. She's 3 months old and she's grown, her paws are getting huge and her head is getting big. She's got really strong jaws, when we play with her KONG she latches on even when I lift her off the ground she has a solid hold. Her tail is thin and whip-like and it curls up and over her back when she’s happy and running around, it straightens out and drops when she’s scenting or unsure and tucks under tightly when she’s scared. She’s very bright despite her brain damage, 99% of the time she potties on her potty pad- she does sometimes potty off it if she cannot find it, she doesn’t have the best memory of where things are located- and when she does something she’s not suppose to and I catch her all I have to do and look at her mean, snap my fingers and point away from me and she’ll sulk into her kennel and watch me for the release. She’s learned to sit and stay, she’s learned “pillow” which sends her to her doggie bed or if she can’t find the doggie bed, to the cat bed (which Blaze won’t go near anymore). Sometimes she remembers the command for “lay” and she’s getting to know “down” and “up” and she’s got the command “kennel” down. She plays with my cat Blaze but is never rough with her and when we went to the dog park it took her a few minutes to feel comfortable enough to go into the pen, she ran away from the other dogs until I nudged her towards them, she didn’t play with them, only followed them and sniffed them and got to know them. ^Note, we went to the park at the off hours when there weren't many dogs around, and we only stayed for 10 minutes. This was to get her use use to the idea of multipal dogs off leash and to get her acquainted with strangers. I asked many of them to hold her, pet her, and touch her ears, muzzle, flanks, tail and paws.

I was playing with her at my sister’s house last night, we were playing with the KONG and Artemis was tugging on it, thrashing about and growling and when she thrashed to the left she jerked the KONG from my hands and went flying into the wall. My sister and I gasped but Artemis just jumped up and attacked the toy again, completely unfazed. Her motor skills aren’t the best, when she’s excited she doesn’t pull her paws completely under her and so she face plants into the ground a lot, she walks and runs into the walls when she running and playing and sometimes it seems like she forgets how to stop and just tumbles over herself. The vet said that she might grow out of it, she’s still very young and dogs learn to compensate for their short comings. At the pound, when they put her under for sterilization, they used too much anesthetic and it killed her. They were able to revive her after some time but the damage was done- this however, doesn’t stop her. But when she jumped up again my sister was watching her and said that as she’s grown up, Artemis that is, she’s beginning to look more and more like a pit bull mix which got me to thinking. I always wanted to own a pit bull, but told myself that it would be better to wait until I had a bigger house with a large yard and was well established so I could spend a lot of time training him or her, making sure they passed the Canine Good Citizen Test and getting them into Custom K9 Performance Dog Training. If she is a Pit Mix, I won’t get rid of her, I could never do that, but it would be nice to know, just so I can get into the training that she’ll need.

I have tried to contact the staff at the pound to get more information on her but keep getting blocked. And the vet said that many dogs can look like other breeds, but without knowing what bloodline they come from it is likely I might never know what exactly she is. At the pound they listed her as a Rottweiler cross, but the vet said those color markings show up in so many breeds- she could just as likely be part Dober (which he didn't believe but was just making a point) and said that many times the staff at the pounds are so intent on just getting the dogs taken care of, check out and hopefully adopted out that they don't spend a lot of time studying and identifying the breed. Sad, he said, but a lot of times true. Adopting from the pound is almost always a gamble on breed- his words, not mine!

I only have one picture of her up right now in my album, I need to upload more for you all. Whether is she a mix or just a look-a-like, you're input would be greatly appreciated. The picture I have currently is from the day I brought her home from the pound. As she's grown, her coat got smoother, her legs longer. When I get home I will upload more uptoday photos of her. Thank you for your time.

k@

Old 02-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
HornyMolly

whatever (her parents) she is.. she's adorable

Old 02-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
bypeTeenehalT

Unless that cute pup came in with at least one parent dog, the shelter would have no choice but to make a complete breed guess - generally this means guessing mixes of breeds who are common in your area. Post up some more photos of her, from different views and I'm sure people would love to guess her mix. Judging from your photo above, my best guess would be a shepherd or cattle dog mix of some kind?

It sounds to me like you are doing a great job with her. Enjoy!

Old 02-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
kertUtire

Looks like a Shepherd/Lab mix to me.....but with pups it's so hard to tell.
She's a cutie !!

Old 02-18-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
IdomeoreTew

oh wowee, what a cute baby!!!

she's a HEINZ!!!!!

Old 02-19-2010, 06:29 AM   #6
FrereeDoulley

She's a cute puppy! Just enjoy her.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
VipInoLo

She looks like a German Shepherd x Rottweiler with something else in there,maybe lab,and she is very VERY cute!!!!

Old 02-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
estelle

Krista- I do enjoy her, immensely. It's never a dull moment with her, all legs and teeth. Yesterday we went for a quick hike and she finally got to see rabbits. She's smelled them all over the yard but when she finally saw one, she chased after it and when it took off running, she turned tail and ran back to me. Cute and funny, and at home when I play pool she hears the balls fall into the pockets and stands on her hind legs to try to get them.

---------- Post added at 07:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 AM ----------

Okay, here are some pictures I was able to get of her yesterday before we went on a quick hike.

Thanks for all of your input

Old 02-19-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
kertUtire

Very cute !!

Old 02-20-2010, 07:05 AM   #10
virtuah

Your pup is so Pretty!

Reply to Thread New Thread