LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
Abebpabeniemo

Default Talk about bad situation UPDATE
Alright so as most of you probably know I own a multifamily (I live in the unit as well). Well I LOVE one set of my tenants, the others are not what I would call the most responsible people- sometimes late with rent, ruined some things in the apartment,etc. Well guess who wants to get a pitbull puppy? THE IRRESPONSIBLE TENANTS!

Now, I effed myself in the beginning by saying I allow dogs regardless of breed...that was how I advertised the apartment. Well dogs are included in their lease but they cant even pay their friggen rent and want to get a puppy when neither is ever home and they are the "club" type...it is like a train wreck! I would have expected they would want like a little dog or something... What do I do? I am thinking about forcing them to foster a pitbull before they can even get the puppy.

Here are the puppies: http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=15734305

THEY ALREADY APPLIED FOR ONE!

Old 02-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
deermealec

Why couldn't you just tell them there's a $500 pet deposit or something?

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

better yet a non-refundable pet deposit

Old 02-15-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
JeffStewart

Yeah it's kinda like shooting yourself in the foot, on one hand you want to be responsible and promote responsible behavior for other people (espcecially your tenants) but then again being breed specific is in turn using a kind of BSL and that's really not what this country needs but I do understand what kind of issue your in, kinda sucks.... Good luck with the outcome though!!!

Old 02-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
AnIInWon

You might want to let them know how much work and cost is involved with any larger breed. Come up with some kind of monthly budget/cost analysis to demonstrate the expense. Also let them know that with certain "types" of dogs, the majority of people will not rent to them in the future.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
HornyMolly

Well guess who wants to get a pitbull puppy? THE IRRESPONSIBLE TENANTS!

they cant even pay their friggen rent and want to get a puppy when
if they can't afford to pay their stupid rent, they have NO business owning a "pitbull" puppy, or any animal.
they should get a stuffed "pitbull" puppy toy.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
Desflahd

If your description of them is accurate, then the type of dog they get is not going to matter, as far as the treatment of the dog is concerned, they are going to be lousy, irresponsible owners to any dog...
it is the fact that being an irresponsible owner of a bully breed has potentially much more severe results...
you do have yourself between a rock and a hard place, and if their lease already include the cost of a dog... your position sucks...

Old 02-15-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
diseeKeythilt

THEY ALREADY APPLIED FOR ONE!
If they already applied for one, then chances are they needed to put their landlord's contact information. The rescue will have to contact you to get permission/opinions on the tenants. Why not just tell them that you do not think they would be a suitable home?

Old 02-15-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
Sipewrio

I wonder if the rescue requires permission from the landlord? I know that a lot of rescues do. If so just tell the rescue that you think it is a bad idea....of course I am sure they will just try to find one else where but maybe it can buy you a little time to talk them out of it.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #9
FrereeDoulley

If they already applied for one, then chances are they needed to put their landlord's contact information. The rescue will have to contact you to get permission/opinions on the tenants. Why not just tell them that you do not think they would be a suitable home?

That's a good idea. We do that at the shelter where I work to get permission and opinions if they are good people or not to have an animal from us or an animal or not and of course if they allow pets.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #10
HornyMolly

The rescue will have to contact you to get permission/opinions on the tenants. Why not just tell them that you do not think they would be a suitable home?
thats a great idea.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #11
crestosssa

Can you require that the dog be spayed/neutered and UTD on shots?

You can also say the dog has to be housebroken before coming home to discourage them from getting a dog (especially a puppy).

A pet deposit would also be a big deterrent.

If the rescue calls, give them a bad reference.

Print out educational material for them to read and tell them they can't have a dog until they pass the test you will give them

Old 02-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #12
PymnImmen

Pets, pet deposits etc should be outlined in a lease before a tenant moves in. Most people who rent have a pet policy and it should remain the same for every tenant. It gets easy to take things personal because we own pit bulls and other pets, but I would deal with this from a legal standpoint. If you stated that you allow all dogs regardless of breed, then they should be able to have their dog. Charge them a non-refundable pet fee and hold them responsible for any damages that go above that cost.

I wouldn't make is a personal thing, if they want a dog and it's allowable in the lease terms, let them have it.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:08 PM   #13
Abebpabeniemo

Pets, pet deposits etc should be outlined in a lease before a tenant moves in. Most people who rent have a pet policy and it should remain the same for every tenant. It gets easy to take things personal because we own pit bulls and other pets, but I would deal with this from a legal standpoint. If you stated that you allow all dogs regardless of breed, then they should be able to have their dog. Charge them a non-refundable pet fee and hold them responsible for any damages that go above that cost.

I wouldn't make is a personal thing, if they want a dog and it's allowable in the lease terms, let them have it.
if they cant even pay their rent on time then it becomes even more my problem I am going to talk to them, I wont prevent them from getting one just make them prepared

Old 02-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #14
gundorana

I like PBH idea of the non refundable pet deposit. I'm a responsible dog owner, but I've paid them in the past. If you love your animal, and you're responsible, then you understand the premise behind it, and don't mind paying it.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #15
NEWyear

Talk to them. If you try to block them without raising your concerns with them about it, they will just get one from somewhere else. Talk to them until you are blue in the face if need be. Point out that any dog is going to require a lot of time investment and that will impinge upon their party lifestyle and the food and care requirements will likely hit them in the pocket hard. You could difinitely try organizing a dog for them to foster for a period to see how they do, although it would be a bad situation if their failure lead to a bad situation for the dog they fostered and it ended up paying the price for their screw ups. Sometimes there is little you can really do to influence someone. People only ever hear what they want to hear, but I don't need to tell you this. LOL

Old 02-16-2010, 12:17 AM   #16
Gozmand

Do you have a "clause" in the contract...like if your dog disturbs the neighbors..ie...barking and whining.Since you say they are never home and are club hoppers...than they will have thirty days to get rid of the dog or move?

Old 02-16-2010, 12:52 AM   #17
Abebpabeniemo

Good news is I talked to them and just laid it all out on the table. I offered a deposit discount percentage for three things: training classes, fostering PRIOR to adoption, and getting an adult versus a puppy. I also spoke with them at length about pitbulls in general and BSL, history, dog aggression, energy level, discrimination, renting, expenses, and most importantly human aggression. I told them we had to put Tonka down and they nearly cried, I think it was a big wake up call to them about the dangers of ADOPTING a puppy which you know nothing about. I am kicking around the idea of having a contract with them saying if the dog becomes human aggressive that they will either euthanize or move out. I also offered to give training tips, exercise ideas, food advice, etc. I am trying to approach this as I would ANY applicant for adoption, and try to keep my opinion out of it.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:54 AM   #18
cafeviahe

sounds like it is going in the right direction! I think u r better off going the educational route. Good luck!

Good news is I talked to them and just laid it all out on the table. I offered a deposit discount percentage for three things: training classes, fostering PRIOR to adoption, and getting an adult versus a puppy. I also spoke with them at length about pitbulls in general and BSL, history, dog aggression, energy level, discrimination, renting, expenses, and most importantly human aggression. I told them we had to put Tonka down and they nearly cried, I think it was a big wake up call to them about the dangers of ADOPTING a puppy which you know nothing about. I am kicking around the idea of having a contract with them saying if the dog becomes human aggressive that they will either euthanize or move out. I also offered to give training tips, exercise ideas, food advice, etc. I am trying to approach this as I would ANY applicant for adoption, and try to keep my opinion out of it.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:11 AM   #19
Riprincattiva

I wish you were my landlord.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:13 AM   #20
Abebpabeniemo

I wish you were my landlord.
Thanks Surprisingly I am usually a very nice person and genuinely care about providing people with the right tools to make good decisions. I dont think everyone should own the breed but if they have made up their mind I can at least prepare them.

Reply to Thread New Thread