LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-03-2010, 01:54 AM   #1
Dr.Hoodoba

Default Pit Bull as truckers dog....
Hi there do you guys think living on the road with me in a rig would be a good life for a pit bull? I have researched the breed alot and I have loved them ever since I worked years ago at a vet as a vet tech and almost everyone that worked there was owned by a pit bull or other bully breed. LOL I at the time was owned by a Rottie. LOL He/she would get lots of exercise through out the day as I will stop every few hours for a break and only drive 10 hours a day so after that 10 hours he/she would have my undivided attention. I am going back on the road and I am hopefully going to get a job with a company that allows pets in the trucks and I would love to get a bully of my own. I welcome all advise/suggestions from you fellow bully lovers.

Amanda

Just wanted to add I would get the pit bull from a local shelter or rescue not buy one as there are so many great dogs looking for homes.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
werkeeque

They are fairly adaptable to most lifestyles. But what i recommend is getting an older rescue pitbull after age 2 they calm down. If the seats are big enough they will just sit down the whole ride.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:10 AM   #3
Loovikeillilen

I suppose it depends on whether you're a national trucker or local/in-state trucker.

I'd say No, not a good idea if you're National. Going through Denver regardless of the reasons, if the Animal Warden or whoever sees your dog it's immediate death, period. You would also have to know the laws in every state and municipality and county regarding the dog laws and whether they have some form of BSL that is unfortunately gone rampant throughout our allegedly Free Society.

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

It's actually funny you mention this, just a day or two a buddy of mine, who is a truck driver who goes around the nation including through Denver, mentioned wanting a "Pit Bull" from the Rescue I'm involved in and I told him I couldn't help him because it's not worth the risk of the dog being confiscated and immediately put to sleep. He was unaware of Denver's BSL. I told him regardless whether it's a Pit Bull or not is really irrelevant. It's up to whichever authorities in Denver to dictate on what is a "Pit Bull" or not. If the individual says it's a Pit Bull then it's a Pit Bull and will be immediately killed. Now he knows.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:17 AM   #4
KirillAristov

I agree! Over two, know the BSL BS, and try to aviod a powderkeg kind of dog. Two of my psychos couldn't do it, but they would love to try!

I would stay away from a dog that would "barrier guard" or protect the rig. Makes the breed look scary and matches the ugly stereo-type.

Some rescues may hesitate to place an over-the-road dog. Don't get discouraged, others will be fine with it.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:30 AM   #5
Dr.Hoodoba

What I plan on doing is what is called a dedicated run which is were I would go to pretty much the same places and states all the time that way it would be easier to know the laws and I can avoid those states. I would not get a guard type personallity like 2mnydgs says I want one that loves everybody.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:35 AM   #6
lomonel

So You Want a Pit Bull?

You've made up your mind, it's the American Pit Bull Terrier you want as your companion. Are you ready for this breed? Read this article and then decide if you want to go ahead with your decision.

Does your lifestyle fit the American Pit Bull Terrier lifestyle?

These dogs are packed with energy from head to toe. Craving a good run like a champion athlete. Exercise is critical to a heathy, happy bulldog.

High energy is their middle name and is a large part of their personalities. Play, work, and activity is something you must be able to give these dogs

If you're a couch potato you should find another breed to live with.

Do you have the security?

Pit Bull's are the Houdini's of the canine world. Able to leap tall fences with a single bound, dig under them with amazing speed and stealth, and unlock gates that adult people would have trouble with.

Escape will happen if you don't take the precautions to secure their living area.

You should have 6' privacy fence, beware of dog signs, hot wiring at the top and bottom of the fence, out door housing that keeps them out of the sun (even if they live indoors), and supervision are required for these dogs. You can't leave them alone for long outside because one of two things may happen:

They Escape

They're Stolen
Are you prepared for the scrutiny of neighbors and friends?

American Pit Bull Terriers are notorious. They have a bad name and the misinformed public is out to get them.

It seems like everyday another "mauled by pit bull" story runs, diminishing your choice of breed.

People will dislike you for your choice. Some may even try to kill your dog. Others will direct comments at you, vulgar, hateful comments, and friends and family may also be in conflict with your choice.

Be prepared for some rude behavior and protect your dog by teaching food refusal from strangers.

Can you train your dog?

There are two methods of training. One is to train your dog by showing it how to sit and lay down and then quitting. The other lasts forever.

Real training is life long training that starts when the puppy arrives at your home and ends with death.

Unless you're prepared to work with your dog 5-10-15 minutes per day, everyday, all week, every week, all year, every year, you may want to rethink your decision to get a Pit Bull.

Actually, if you're not prepared to train your dog, you should rethink getting any dog. Training is a fact of life and must be done in order to prevent a lot of trouble down the road.

If you can not control your dog, you don't need one.

Can you afford them?

Dog food, vet bills, training, leashes and collars, and dog houses all cost money.

Money you may not have right now. A quality dog food can cost as much as $800 per year.

Do you have this kind of extra money to spend on food? If not, wait until you do before you bring home that puppy.

Do you want a Pit Bull to impress people?

If this is the case, stop! Do not, repeat, do not bring one home. You're doing yourself and the dog a great injustice.

American Pit Bull Terriers are in demand because of their all around strength, agility, great looks, and mystic. Breeders are pumping puppies out like unleaded gasoline.

Puppies are being neglected and bad breeding practices are producing unstable dogs. Beware before you make any final decisions.

If I may point you in a different direction. Every day there are thousands of great bulldogs put down because no one will adopt them or they are deemed "unadoptable" by shelters.

Consider a Rescue Dog.

People who love this breed have created rescues for these dogs and hundreds of dogs are available for adoption.

Rescues are a win-win-win way to go. You give a dog that would otherwise not have a home, a home.

You give your money (which in most cases is a small adoption fee) to the rescue so they can continue their work, and you get an awesome dog that will 9 times out of 10 deliver more than any pure-bred dog could on their best day.

In closing, before you run out and buy a American Pit Bull Terrier, think about your options, make sure you have what it takes to provide and care for the dog, and take your time to find a dog that matches your desires.

Don't Get A Pit Bull

Old 03-03-2010, 02:57 AM   #7
Irravepem

I suppose it depends on whether you're a national trucker or local/in-state trucker.

I'd say No, not a good idea if you're National. Going through Denver regardless of the reasons, if the Animal Warden or whoever sees your dog it's immediate death, period. You would also have to know the laws in every state and municipality and county regarding the dog laws and whether they have some form of BSL that is unfortunately gone rampant throughout our allegedly Free Society.

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

It's actually funny you mention this, just a day or two a buddy of mine, who is a truck driver who goes around the nation including through Denver, mentioned wanting a "Pit Bull" from the Rescue I'm involved in and I told him I couldn't help him because it's not worth the risk of the dog being confiscated and immediately put to sleep. He was unaware of Denver's BSL. I told him regardless whether it's a Pit Bull or not is really irrelevant. It's up to whichever authorities in Denver to dictate on what is a "Pit Bull" or not. If the individual says it's a Pit Bull then it's a Pit Bull and will be immediately killed. Now he knows.
I agree if you are going through Denver then no, otherwise older pits (over 2) would love to sleep in the bed of your truck all day! Both of my dogs are over 2 and sleep 99% of the time.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:00 AM   #8
lomonel

i agree with the age over 2 years old.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:19 AM   #9
Loovikeillilen

What I plan on doing is what is called a dedicated run which is were I would go to pretty much the same places and states all the time that way it would be easier to know the laws and I can avoid those states. I would not get a guard type personallity like 2mnydgs says I want one that loves everybody.
Then in that case, I would recommend getting a dog after you seal the deal with your company regarding the dedicated runs. After sealing the deal, learn and keep the laws at hand of the cities, counties, and states which you will be running from point A to B and all in between. You're right it'll be easier than doing with the entire country. We're too large in land mass. After you have all that complete, then I would say the time would be right to get yourself the dog you want and I think it's Great that you're looking to the Rescues and Shelters for a dog. I would recommend as others did with a more mature dog of at least 2 years old.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

oh... I forgot to add that it would be very wise to have an emergency back up plan just in case the company would need you to make an emergency one time run to a place where BSL is prevalent.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:43 AM   #10
Dr.Hoodoba

Yes I agree with you guys I plan on 2 or older as I don't want to have to go through the puppy stage. And Eric I have 2 back up plans. My mom would be my first choice as she loves dogs as much as I do. Then if there was any reason she could not I have a very good vet that does boarding were he could go stay for a few days.
APBTlover09-As far as if I am ready for a pit bull yes I am. I know about there rep and I know about how some people think about them that is why I want a mellow love everybody all the time type. I am not one of those people that go out and get a pet without knowing what I am getting into I have spent a least 6 months if not more researching the breed. I do not want a pit because they look tuff I want one because they are a great breed and you can not beat a bully smile at the end of a tough day. I have always trained my dogs as well as my neighbors dogs so that is not a problem either. I have had everything from a mutt to a toy poodle to a rottie and they have all been well trained well behaved dogs. I also always take my dogs to the vet not only for there shots but for there yearly check ups. My last dog was a German Shephard that I had had for 14 years and I had to make the toughest decision of my life to have her put down due to her arthritis getting so bad she could not get around even with the pain meds she was on. So again yes I know any dog exspecially a not popular breed requires not only alot of love but alot of responsability and I am ready it or I would not do it.

Kindest Regards,
Amanda

Old 03-03-2010, 03:59 AM   #11
Irravepem

Yes I agree with you guys I plan on 2 or older as I don't want to have to go through the puppy stage. And Eric I have 2 back up plans. My mom would be my first choice as she loves dogs as much as I do. Then if there was any reason she could not I have a very good vet that does boarding were he could go stay for a few days.
APBTlover09-As far as if I am ready for a pit bull yes I am. I know about there rep and I know about how some people think about them that is why I want a mellow love everybody all the time type. I am not one of those people that go out and get a pet without knowing what I am getting into I have spent a least 6 months if not more researching the breed. I do not want a pit because they look tuff I want one because they are a great breed and you can not beat a bully smile at the end of a tough day. I have always trained my dogs as well as my neighbors dogs so that is not a problem either. I have had everything from a mutt to a toy poodle to a rottie and they have all been well trained well behaved dogs. I also always take my dogs to the vet not only for there shots but for there yearly check ups. My last dog was a German Shephard that I had had for 14 years and I had to make the toughest decision of my life to have her put down due to her arthritis getting so bad she could not get around even with the pain meds she was on. So again yes I know any dog exspecially a not popular breed requires not only alot of love but alot of responsability and I am ready it or I would not do it.

Kindest Regards,
Amanda
It is so refreshing to see someone willing to be educated about the breed prior to getting one and willing to take the extra step and ask actual owners, you definitely have my respect! Also if you need any help finding a dog let me know I work with tons of rescues/shelters and foster myself so match making is kinda my thing

Old 03-03-2010, 04:04 AM   #12
tevyrefficy

I agree w/ Eric, to wait until you have everything squared away, job-wise & all that. Otherwise, it sounds like you've got a real good head on your shoulders regarding dog ownership.

The only other thing I'd stress is that you understand the exercise requirement. The majority of these dogs will need daily exercise. Depending on the individual, it may be 10 minutes, half an hour, or two hours. But it will be every day. As long as you are committed to that, I think it would be a fine lifestyle, for the right dog.

You might try to see if you can find a rescue that would let you do a kind of "foster to adopt", so that you could take the dog on a test run & make sure it does well in the truck. IMO, it should be a super people-friendly dog so that it has no problem meeting strangers all the time.

Good luck!

Old 03-03-2010, 04:05 AM   #13
qwerty1

Well it looks like you are doing the right things and asking the right questions.

I have a couple of dogs that would be great on an all day drive and several that just wouldn't. If it was possible to take one on a trial ride that would be great, but it really depends on the dog.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:11 AM   #14
ricochettty

I say, if you've boned up on your information on the breed, and you have a back up plan... go for it. I like the idea of the dog being over 2 yrs old, as you get through some of that bratty stage by that time (but not always), and the idea of a shelter dog/rescue is awesome!!! I have 3 pit bulls across the street from me that I went to feed tonight, and I would say all of them would rather be in a truck traveling with you, than chained on 5 ft chains and no human interaction. Not one of them barked at me, and they covered me in kisses..... I think they were just so happy that someone was petting them. They actually liked that more than the food I was taking them. Anyway, back to the subject at hand, I think it's a great idea. They will be great company for you, and really, all they care about is spending time with you, regardless of if that means in the house, or in a truck.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #15
Dr.Hoodoba

It is so refreshing to see someone willing to be educated about the breed prior to getting one and willing to take the extra step and ask actual owners, you definitely have my respect! Also if you need any help finding a dog let me know I work with tons of rescues/shelters and foster myself so match making is kinda my thing
Bostonitis-Thank you for the offer if I don't find anything here local I will let you know. Also, once I get out there I would like to help any rescues that may need transport for there dogs to new homes so keep me in mind for that in the future to.
Pitbullhappenings- I plan on waiting until everything is concrete with the company I will be working for before I get him or her.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #16
U2DnBGFE

First things first, do YOU own your own truck? Or do you drive a truck owned by a company?

One of my past dogs came from a friend who also drove a truck. Another trucker reported he had a "pit bull" on board and despite there being no written rules, he had exactly one week to off-load the dog permanently or he was unemployed. He managed to make it to Baton Rouge and brought the dog to me at the clinic.

You also have to watch for BSL. Denver is not the only serious threat or area with BSL. Hell, most people in Louisiana think we don't have it and there are 5 cities/parishes that outright ban the dogs so you really have to be aware of where you are traveling through and/or stopping.

And then my friend mentioned he had had 2 different break-in attempts that he assumes was to get to his dog. Rex was such a friendly dog that he could've cared less if he was stolen. Are you willing to deal with that on-the-road rest-area threat?

Personally, I would not get a medium-sized breed with such energy level. Especially one that is so controversial. And in the end, you may lose your job over it.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #17
Dr.Hoodoba

Miakoda- You make some very good points I will check with the company to see if there are any limitations before I get the dog. I will be leasing the truck from the company so it will be like it is mine.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:35 AM   #18
U2DnBGFE

Miakoda- You make some very good points I will check with the company to see if there are any limitations before I get the dog. I will be leasing the truck from the company so it will be like it is mine.
Check with them first and be honest. Then go on to think about it.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:33 AM   #19
Dr.Hoodoba

I put a call on to my recruiter today so I should know something by tomorrow. I am always an honest person it is much easier to keep things streight and a lot less stressful. LOL

Old 05-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #20
Guaranano

If you get the go ahead and decide to adopt, I definitely agree with a "test run" to see what the dog thinks of the whole deal. My rescue adores car rides, does a happy dance whenever she knows she's going somewhere....however my husband drives truck and took her with one day. She jumped in and out no problem, but was NOT impressed with driving. He said she pouted the whole time, the only time she was excited was when she saw cows. So make sure it's a good lifestyle fit for your potential new family member.

Reply to Thread New Thread