LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 01-30-2010, 01:00 AM   #1
Turbo-ip

Default Question about my puppies size(non apbt)
Hello everyone, I just have a quick question about puppy growth.

I have an Labrador puppy going on 8 months. From what I know, a dog is done growing at a year, and fills out until 2 years. Is this true?

My lab pup is very small compared to most dogs her age. She is a tad bigger than my APBT but still very small for a lab.

Heres a picture, Taz is only 18 inches at the withers, hes a pretty small dog but very stalky. She is taller.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:11 AM   #2
Ornamiviant

Well Labradors should be more medium sized dogs as per the breed standard... what most byb's and stuff turn out are ginormous monster dogs... to say nothing of the fat tanks the show line breeders are turning out currently. Compared to the hunting dogs you see in like Outdoor Life magazine and stuff its just sad. I started doing some research on Labs just because I don't know that much about their history and genetics, all I can say is wow do they have a lot of the same problems going on with byb's and breeding for looks that the "pit bull" breeds are facing.

I think your girl looks really good.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
Brutton

My lab I had growing up wasn't too tall at all. I attatched a pik.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:37 AM   #4
Turbo-ip

My lab I had growing up wasn't too tall at all. I attatched a pik.
Nice dog from what I can see!

She definitley won't be a short stocky dog the the show styles. She wasn't from a backyard breeder, her parents are both working dogs and she might be aswell. But she seems a little bit small for an 8 month pup. But maybe I'm just use to seeing the big ones. She hasn't grown since 6 months, so maybe she'll have a big growth spurt.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:01 AM   #5
Brutton

ya she was. my dad had a flat coat lab that was probably around 21" tall and he also had a working black lab that was probably 19" tall. I dont really know what the breed standard is.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:54 AM   #6
U2DnBGFE

Americans have ruined the Labrador Retriever like every other breed they touch.

Labs are not large dogs. They are not supposed to be big and blocky like what you see waddling around the AKC showring.

We owned 2 field Labs growing up (still have one of them who is 15 going on 16!). Our male topped out at approx. 66 lbs and our female hovered around 60 lbs.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:56 AM   #7
Brutton

Not all americans like to conform breeds to their likings, how tall were they?

Old 01-31-2010, 03:36 AM   #8
PhillipHer

I think she looks great. Looks like a field lab.

My chocolate lab weighs between 40-43lbs. But, she may have something else in her cause I don't know either of her parents, being that I got her from a shelter. I love it though cause she can fit easily in my two door car! :P

Just measured her and she stands 21" at the withers/shoulders.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:39 AM   #9
Turbo-ip

Beautiful dog!

She is a field lab, I just expected her to be almost at her full size at 8 months, but maybe not!

Old 01-31-2010, 03:41 AM   #10
Brutton

I miss having a lab!

Old 01-31-2010, 03:42 AM   #11
Turbo-ip

heres a couple more pics of her

Old 01-31-2010, 08:08 PM   #12
U2DnBGFE

Not all americans like to conform breeds to their likings, how tall were they?
I didn't intend to imply that ALL AMERICANS ruin breeds. Those that refuse to allow a dog to do the job it was bred and intended to do and instead breed for other features, are doing nothing BUT conforming a breed to their own personal whims.

Labs are hunting dogs. You want a pet? Go get the pet quality one(s) from a working-bred litter. Can't deal with all the energy that comes from such a dog? Pick a new breed. It's just that easy.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

As for how tall they were, I have no idea. I was never one interested in measuring my animals height, head size, and chest size. With that said, I'll find some old pics and scan them in and post them.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:49 AM   #13
ricochettty

I have 2 Labs.. Titus is a Lab/Husky mix, and Zoey was picked up on the side of the road, so I don't know if she's pure Lab or not, but Titus is about 85+ pounds, and Zoey is probably 60. They are very different sizes, Zoey still looks like a puppy, but we've had her about 2 years.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #14
Fausqueuego

Your pup looks good to me!
Labs are supposed to be small enough to pick up and sling into a boat. Most labs these days would SINK a boat!

Old 02-01-2010, 01:48 AM   #15
sportlife

Your pup looks fine to me as well. She's gorgeous! Here is my lab mix (he was mostly lab) and looked like a real lab was supposed to look like. Not too big. I think maybe he was around 60 lbs.? He passed away about a year ago, though. He had an awesome temperment though.

I like the real labs. Not ones with iffy temperments. The ones that are goofy, have a lot of drive, etc. are real labs to me and really devoted to their people. I LOVE labs don't get me wrong as I had Rocky for 12 years and he was a true lab.

Sadly like many breeds they are overbred in today's society. The ones at my shelter have been great, but spazzy.

Rocky

Reply to Thread New Thread