LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 01-22-2010, 04:41 AM   #1
LICraig

Default Cgc
We're getting ready to take a training class to get us ready for the CGC. I just spent about 20 min on their website with no luck, I'm trying to find out if after your dog is "certified" to do anything or is it just a test to show how well behaved your dog is. We're looking to go into therapy work later on and know this is a good spring board.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:42 AM   #2
Tusethede

I don't know if it helps you "do anything", but I know they keep a record of each breed in each state that gets it. So, it does help when fighting BSL.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:48 AM   #3
carlsberg21

A lot of therapy certifications require you have your CGC (at least at the ones I've looked at in MD).

Old 01-22-2010, 04:50 AM   #4
asSexate

Agreed with the above. It doesn't entitle you to anything but may/will help you get to other places. Good luck! I am excited and scared about our test. Still working on it.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:03 AM   #5
carlsberg21

If you have other questions about therapy work, contact Patch O' Pits. There is also a thread about therapy work. I too am working towards that, but it will be a long time coming. Good luck!

Old 01-25-2010, 05:53 AM   #6
Abnorttrano

What the others have said..and what I was told. Some insurance companys will give you a break, or at least not raise your premimums if your dog(s) have their CGCs. It shows you are a more responsible owner.

Don't stress about the test. I thought it was super easy. Even Nick, who has some DA passed it with ease.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
ricochettty

It is also a good representation of being a responsible owner.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
AncewwewBus

cgc is an award not a title it shows your dog has had training will listen and follow directions, he is good at that time saying hello with strangers and ppl can pet him, he does aggress at other dogs and will just ignore and walk on, he's not agress, shy, timid or fearful at the time the test is being given it doesn't gaurantee he won't tommorrow, just he is less likely too, they recommend cgc test every 2 years due to dogs changing stages of life
that is why they start with this test for alot of therapy and working service dogs, it's a good springboard

Reply to Thread New Thread