LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 01-22-2010, 02:05 AM   #1
BDDkDvgZ

Default My apology
A week ago I was scrapping it out with several people in the debate section regarding breed history and origin. My argument was the APBT descended from a hunting dog and it was this the animal was created for and not dog on dog combat. I was wrong and I apologize. At first I was simply going to PM those who tried to educate me and remove my blinders, but I felt that would be cowardly. I also decided I wanted to put something together to share my experience in an effort to help educate and direct others.

Here's what I've learned and these are only my findings & opinions:

I've learned to not let my emotional feelings get in the way of the fact that this animal has the capability and possibly the WANT to kill another animal...and it doesn't need a reason. To negate this fact and the animals entire true history I wasn't doing the breed any good. You have to keep your emotions out of your choices you make for this specific breed. This breed CAN NOT speak for itself. It's existence is relying on humans that can do it for them by acknowledging both sides of the story. The media plasters images of two dogs mixing it up in a dirty bloody pit and simply stamps that image in your mind that this is and was dogfighting. It's not...it's how it's evolved and again only one side.. I'm not condoning matching, it's not my thing. For the others before me that have created it I say... to each is own...it's illegal now...if you get caught you know the consequences to yourself and the breed. These are different times. To not acknowledge that this is what man has created this specific breed for and your innocent little pup doesn't have the potential to maul another animal one day is not fair to the breed at all. It is also not safe to encourage and practice that mentality. You could be setting your dog up to fail miserably. You have to study both sides of the story and know ALL of the history on this breed. Please keep your emotions in check as some of the content may be harsh to some but needs to be read/viewed. I insulted people that have a REAL working knowledge of the breed..in that point in time..I was part of the problem and not moving forward to a solution. I was debating people about a breed that I've only owned for 6 years...that I don't have the purest version of...I was undereducated on the complete history and ignorant to the real creation of this specific breed. I feel I was an IDIOT.

I started out researching the other side of the breeds history with the intention of proving those in the debate wrong and wound up being educated myself. I read and am reading the Placebo...Colby...Stratton....Faron..Glass...and Jessup. The funny thing... I re-watched a DVD I bought a long time ago called American Pit Bull: Killer Canine or Family Friend? They interviewed a female trainer who had an awesome dog Capone. The first words out of her mouth..as well as others interviewed on the DVD was...you have to acknowledge and accept what this breed was created for...to fight other dogs. After she said my mouth dropped...I thought to myself...How did I miss that before?? As it turns out I had blinders on caused by denial of what the breed was created for based on lack of complete education.

After I stepped out of denial and checked my emotions I realized I've never been present when a new pure litter was born...I don't own a pure bred APBT so I don't have the complete breed experience....I didn't know what the Highlander Mentality was nor saw it take place(new pups fighting each other right out of the womb)....I had no real back ground in basic animal psychology and pack animals....I've never even been to a licensed breeders yard...I had no idea what a Cur was...or what Culling was..and any other basic terminology that a breeder uses...I didn't even know who JP Colby was...I saw his name passed around a few times....I'm not saying all these are required to own the breed....but how is it again that I'm such an expert on the breed???? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL Expert moron basically.

Anyway...I do apologize...especially to Jean..she was only trying to show me something I've never seen before and I just wasn't hearing it. But I did finally get the message and I am now working toward being a true student of the breed. It's going to make me that much more of a better owner to my new pups and for that I thank everyone for sharing their knowledge.

My take away is this: Research thoroughly and acknowledge both sides of the history as well as what the breed was created for. Denial is death to the breed in many ways IMO.

Thanks again everyone.

Peeeeecceeeeeeee

Old 01-22-2010, 05:51 AM   #2
BegeMoT

Wow, I know a lot of people that could really learn from you. Your mamma must be very proud. It takes a big person to admit when they are wrong, and actually say sorry. Good on ya.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:55 AM   #3
ChicasCams

it takes a helluva person to admit when they are wrong, you have forever gained my respect

Old 01-22-2010, 06:09 AM   #4
seooptiman

Much respect to you. I was also once a little blind on the breed as a whole but have a learned a lot through this website.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:24 AM   #5
halfstreet

I think this is one of the most mature posts I've seen in a long while...

Old 01-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
astonmartinrx371

I agree with everybody else, that is one of the best posts I have ever seen.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
bactrimtab

what a refreshing post to read.......it takes moral fibre and good character to admit wrong and apologise....especially on the internet where its so easy to bullshit people you dont know.

good for you jroCc

Old 01-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
Frinzer

Wow.. I agree with the others. Good for you! All we can do is learn right?

Old 01-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
nTDsD0aU

Sometimes you gotta get knocked down to learn how to get up....... I don't know you and I've been MIA for a while but glad to see stuff like this rather than constant bickering....

Old 01-22-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
V8V8V8

I think this is one of the most mature posts I've seen in a long while...
I agree.

Refreshing post to read. Tells me alot about your character JroCc

Old 01-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
gambleingsites

good job...

Old 01-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #12
freeringtonesioo

wow great job, and very mature of you, I know I have a hell of a time admitting I'm in the wrong to people in person and even more over the internet, we can only learn from your strength in character.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #13
RorieSorNearop

all i can say is WOW...well done. sounds like you have your head on straight and are willing to learn. i wish more people had that same mindset

Old 01-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #14
Anykeylo

Wow.....It takes some pretty big huevos to admit that you were wrong. That was pretty bad ass.....and you learned something about the breed also. Who can argue with that?

Old 01-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #15
Feloascarlelt

welcome back,good to have you.CHJean is sure a smart lady. i have also learned a lot from reading her posts

Old 01-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #16
Tusethede

Wow, I must say I am impressed, and I accept your apology.

I know sometimes debates can get heated, and I know sometimes it's hard to see the other side. Sometimes I am like that as well.

I am happy you took the time to open your mind. It shows that you are truly willing to learn, and it is refreshing.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #17
U2DnBGFE

And this is when the learning and educating can truly begin.

We all started somewhere. But very few will ever end up where they need to be because of their closed minds. It's refreshing to hear of those who have opened their minds up to take in all the information they can.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:50 PM   #18
qwerty1

Much respect to you. Well done.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #19
finasteridonline

It takes a strong person to admit openly they were wrong and to embrace the fact, and begin to educate themselves. Good job. Anyone who's seen this will surely respect you for it here.

my 1,000th post - cool.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #20
makemoneyonli

As my Grandmama used to say "You learn something new everyday"

Good for you JroCc !! It takes a big person to admit they were in error.

Reply to Thread New Thread