LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 01-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
Forexampleee

i had the EXACT same problem with my apbt. we had to get rid of him beause of it! we even had to put and electric one up. but it didnt work either he jumped it too

i say a tether in the middle of the yard with 50 ft tie out! hope whatever you decide works
you got rid of a jumper... and yet you have a pic of a pup as your avatar. did you get rid of a dog and then get ANOTHER???

FOR SHAME!!! there are solutions to EVERYTHING!

Old 01-13-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
MegaJIT

Sometimes, if you have jumpers, you have to tether them.. just make sure they are far enough away from the fence that they can't jump partially over it, and then hang themselves. I wouldn't trust any electric fence with Mollie... maybe with the other dogs, but not Mollie. My old girl, Sheaba (RIP) got zapped by a cattle fence once, and you couldn't get her within 5 feet of it after that. But she was a shepherd mix. Mollie, I would never trust those kinds of fences... if she sees a deer, she's gone! She has -0- recall if she's on a deer... I would never even try it with her. But so far, she's not discovered she could jump the fence if she tried. Bella has already tried to climb over the fence.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
OEMCHEAPSOFTDOWNLOAD

you got rid of a jumper... and yet you have a pic of a pup as your avatar. did you get rid of a dog and then get ANOTHER???

FOR SHAME!!! there are solutions to EVERYTHING!
i had my puppy and the dog i got rid of at the same time. i just give him to my friends a few weeks ago.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
bobibnoxx

How to make a chain setup

Chaining Info

Old 01-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
Forexampleee

i had my puppy and the dog i got rid of at the same time. i just give him to my friends a few weeks ago.
that's still messed up. you couldn't be bothered to chain him?

Old 09-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
Patamuta

Default Wtf irie~!!
Ok so we can no longer let Irie out in the backyard even while watching her she jumps the fence in 3 seconds flat. I want her to be able to play with the other dogs in the backyard so I need some sort of tie out but there is house division We obviously wont leave her out there by herself but at least then we can watch her without her jumping the friggen fence before we can even start running

I wont name names so just give me your opinion on which idea is best
1) a run with airplane wire across the yard horizontally and a tether from that so she could run across the yard with just a few feet side to side

2) a tether in the middle of the yard with a 50 ft tie out

Our yard is about 75 ft by 50ft with fences surrounding three sides and one side is the house/porch with rails.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
bobibnoxx

How to make a chain setup

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Chaining Info

Old 09-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
Rememavotscam

2) a tether in the middle of the yard with a 50 ft tie out

Our yard is about 75 ft by 50ft with fences surrounding three sides and one side is the house/porch with rails.
This style setup would likely provide the most room, but a 50' chain in the center of a 50' X 75' yard = a dog who can still jump the fence while tethered and quite possibly hang herself...

Old 09-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
Forexampleee

Easy- a chain anywhere in the yard that is securely anchored and of a length not to be able to reach the fence.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
Patamuta

This style setup would likely provide the most room, but a 50' chain in the center of a 50' X 75' yard = a dog who can still jump the fence while tethered and quite possibly hang herself...
Thats what I said! I had a dog hang itself when I was younger just by the collar, no chain attached...I am so afraid of this happening. Also any length, because our backyard is not a square would hurt her if she was playing. She could get a running start and choke herself, get wrapped around a tree/bush, get caught on the rail to the back porch, get caught on another dog! I am just not a fan of a chain setup in our backyard I would prefer the run because it is just a straight shot vertically so she cant get caught on anything

Old 09-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #11
tipoketpu

at the name Irie....that's pretty cute.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #12
Cemeuncex

Well, if not a chain setup, a run like you said, or add to the fence, and have it slant inward at an angle, if you can afford it. Buying used goods and installing it yourself helps a lot. How tall is your current fence?

Old 09-01-2010, 06:33 PM   #13
Bwvapays

How about a long line, if you are out there supervising anyway?

Old 09-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
Qdcqxffs

How about those little things that set on top of your fence that point inward with some wire strung between them? Sometimes that visual will deter them...

Carla

Old 09-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #15
Patamuta

Well, if not a chain setup, a run like you said, or add to the fence, and have it slant inward at an angle, if you can afford it. Buying used goods and installing it yourself helps a lot. How tall is your current fence?
Yea we want to get a used taller wood fence (ours is a 4 ft chainlink) but cant afford it right now. My husband wanted to do that build inward thing but the problem is we dont know how to effectively connect it to the top of the chainlink fence because it is ancient and not stable at all. Thoughts?

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

at the name Irie....that's pretty cute.
She fits the name too, such a sweet relaxed girl...just likes to play with cats=fence jumping

Old 09-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #16
nAKMzyBN

Hells bells a 4 foot fence isn't even an inconvenience to them! I don't know what the regulations are on fence height around your parts but 6 foot would be the minimum I would go for and as said, angle another 10-12 inches inwards like they do on zoo enclosures. The fence wants to be stable though. No point making them jump-proof and then having the fence fall down.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #17
Pynctyncroast

For a jumper, even a 6 ft. fence isn't going to be much of a deterrent. If your dog has already learned the advantages and joys of jumping, you're going to need an 8 ft. fence, a hot wire, and even then you still will probably need to chain/tether when you are not outside to supervise.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #18
Patamuta

Hells bells a 4 foot fence isn't even an inconvenience to them! I don't know what the regulations are on fence height around your parts but 6 foot would be the minimum I would go for and as said, angle another 10-12 inches inwards like they do on zoo enclosures. The fence wants to be stable though. No point making them jump-proof and then having the fence fall down.
Yea unfortunately we inherited the fence from prior owners. If it wasnt for the ENTIRE place needing to be gutted due to their lack of care and money going to crack rather than properly fixing things we would have had money left over for a fence.

I am going to try to get a used fence this spring when a lot of people renovate. My friend got an entire almost new fence for like $500! I think I may need like a 6 ft plus those inward pointing things carla mentioned. It is also that she climbs the friggen thing so if the fence was like a stockade she may not be able to get over so easily. I just dont want her to get hurt with a tie out for now until we can fix the fence...the thing is falling over as we speak

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

For a jumper, even a 6 ft. fence isn't going to be much of a deterrent. If your dog has already learned the advantages and joys of jumping, you're going to need an 8 ft. fence, a hot wire, and even then you still will probably need to chain/tether when you are not outside to supervise.
pardon me being a dolt but uhhh hot wire?

Old 09-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #19
nAKMzyBN

For a jumper, even a 6 ft. fence isn't going to be much of a deterrent Sadly I had a dog who took great delight in clearing my fence so i built it higher and higher. When i was finally done completing the 2 ft extension he then took great delight in scaling the 8ft and sat on the other side smiling at me. I think he thought it was some sort of game. Sometimes all you can do is try.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #20
imporesweemo

Yeah I have 4 dogs that jump a 6' fence with ease so if she is a jumper even a 6ft won't hold her. Better look into the tie out, and being that your yard is not set up for a tie out stationed to a fixed object go with the run. I have a 110ft run with a 25 ft chain on it and my dogs love it(although this is bigger than what your taking about) my dogs LOVE it!!!

Reply to Thread New Thread