LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-02-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
Niiinioa

Default freaky: collar got stuck !
Wow, you hear about freak collar accidents and believe them on one level but it's not the same UNTIL it happens to you! Ruby was sniffing around in a flower bed and it seemed like she had been there awhile so I started to walk over to check her out. As I was almost there, she lifts here head up really slowly and is carrying this 13 lb stupid yard ornament by the tag on her collar! She didn't panic or anything but I was in shock at the potential of this if she were ever left unattended outside (which we never do)!..... She's in a martingale, too, (another lesson I've read about) with a bone-shapped tag that just fit perfectly into the little chimney hole.
She has also gotten her foot stuck in a trapezoidal caribeaner that was attached to her collar on a front yard tieout!!

Old 10-02-2010, 02:46 AM   #2
Leczyslaw

Dude. I always have visions of one of the dogs trying to escape thier crates and getting strangled.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:49 AM   #3
lidersontop

omg zoey me too...if i think of it i have to take there collars off before bed other wise my brain will not stop thinking about it, like what if, and plus i jinx myslef all the damn time. i thought i was the only physcho that though that stuff haha

omg that dog is so friggin beautiful!!!!! crazy story, never had anything like that happen.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:53 AM   #4
Kilsimpaile

Yikes!

Growing up, my parents used choke chain collars on their golden and husky. One day my stepdad heard a huge commotion outside and the 2 dogs had gotten entangled on the choke collars and they were strangling each other to death. All the neighbors came rushing into our fence trying to get them untangled as they were literally choking to death. A neighbor came over with wire cutters just in the nick of time.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:56 AM   #5
Leczyslaw

I'm too chicken to keep their collars off in their crate just in case a natural disaster happens and they wind up with no identification on them. Whose phsycho?

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

Yikes!

Growing up, my parents used choke chain collars on their golden and husky. One day my stepdad heard a huge commotion outside and the 2 dogs had gotten entangled on the choke collars and they were strangling each other to death. All the neighbors came rushing into our fence trying to get them untangled as they were literally choking to death. A neighbor came over with wire cutters just in the nick of time.
OMG. Chokers and banned from this house. My son's dad's bitch got all worked up over a dog and lunged on leash and the choker LOCKED. Seriously. He couldn't loosen it and she was turning blue and going down for the count. He FINALLY got it off and threw the damn thing into the lake. We got all wide nylon buckle collars for the dogs and that's all they wear.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:02 AM   #6
TheDoctor

I'm too chicken to keep their collars off in their crate just in case a natural disaster happens and they wind up with no identification on them. Whose phsycho?
It's all good, that's what Microchips are for

My dogs hardly ever have collars on...Lucy had a regular collar on in the back yard and jumped just high enough to get it caught on our 4ft chainlink fence. I ran out into the snow barefoot and in shorts and a t-shirt without thinking when I saw her hanging. Now I watch them like hawks ALL the time and even bungie cord the kennel shut when I'm not home because once she got one latch undone and got her head stuck in the door.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:04 AM   #7
heennaRaf

Holy crap! I am so glad she is OK!!

Old 10-02-2010, 03:12 AM   #8
kuklame

My pup Zakk got his rabies tag caught in the air vent and then was wearing it around the house and I heard it a lil while later as he was running LOL

Old 10-02-2010, 03:17 AM   #9
lidersontop

my dogs are all chipped and still wear collars, people may not be aware or may not check so yea i am a collar freak, they must wear them! and now that zoey mentioned that she is going to cause me to be even more neurotic! thanks! lol

Old 10-02-2010, 03:19 AM   #10
Kilsimpaile

OMG. Chokers and banned from this house.
This house too!

Old 10-02-2010, 03:40 AM   #11
ariniaxia

Wow these are all crazy stories. Daisy got her tag caught in a grated crate at work once when i went on my lunch break. luckily she was smart and just laid down, and when i got back i noticed and got her unstuck!! It was scary though!

Old 10-02-2010, 03:52 AM   #12
Leczyslaw

i am a collar freak, they must wear them!
Same here. Imagine if a fight broke out and the dogs had no sturdy collars on them. My friends never put collars on their dogs and a three dog fight happened and let me tell you, it did not end well. I see their collars like a handle that allow me full control when needed.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:49 AM   #13
bWxNFI3c

Lily never wears her collar inside. We had a case at the vet where this dog's owner left, and when the dog got anxious because her owner left she started jumping at the door. Her collar got stuck in the door and her owner found her hung to death when she came home.
Lily wears her collar when she's outside and supervised, and will be getting microchipped when she gets spayed (because microchipping is SO much easier when they're passed out).

Old 11-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #14
_tppga_

Our last dog's collar got hooked under the fence and choked to death.

Max doesn't wear a collar unless going for a walk or if he's upstairs under supervision.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #15
natahololll

We were having a campfire once in our fenced in back yard and a APBT mix and Mastiff/Lab mix were happily playing together. Both had pronged collars on and they got tangled which triggered a fight. Nothing very serious but lots of barking and commotion without either getting a grip. We learned out lesson...

Old 11-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #16
Bwvapays

We were having a campfire once in our fenced in back yard and a APBT mix and Mastiff/Lab mix were happily playing together. Both had pronged collars on and they got tangled which triggered a fight. Nothing very serious but lots of barking and commotion without either getting a grip. We learned out lesson...
And that is why prongs are for training only and only then when properly fitted and used.

Lily gets doggie naked time a lot so her ruff can poof back out.

Reply to Thread New Thread